Coltrane - Live at Newport '63-65 with unreleased cut

DMP

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting to listen to Roy Haynes with this group. His style is so different from Elvin's, and his relationship with Trane such a sharp contrast. The duet he goes into with Trane on "Impressions" is really cool, but seems almost surreal to me. Trane always seemed to be most responsive to the drummer more than the other instrumentalists, and his stuff with Roy Haynes (both on these Newport sides and the studio stuff) brings out a different side to him. It reminds me a bit of the first time I heard the Miles Davis Quintet sides with Sam Rivers....a unusually welcome change from the norm, but not something I'd want to keep permanent. Similar to when Miles finally finds Wayne Shorter, its like returning home after a long trip to hear the 1965 show with Elvin. Everything is right and perfect again, yet you can't forget the change you just experienced.

I'm loving this reissue!

It is interesting to listen to Roy Haynes with this group.

Right, of course it is Haynes on the 63 date - I typed Jones above our of force of habit.

I just A/Bed the 65 show. It isn't nearly as dramatic of a difference as the version of Impressions from the 63 show. The New Thing CD already sounded pretty good. I think Trane is a little louder on the new remaster, and the drums are perhaps slightly more crisp. I can't really say which I prefer. They are both good.

In the process of A/Bing the other tracks from the 63 date.

It is interesting to listen to Roy Haynes with this group.

Right, of course it is Haynes on the 63 date - I typed Jones above our of force of habit.

I just A/Bed the 65 show. It isn't nearly as dramatic of a difference as the version of Impressions from the 63 show. The New Thing CD already sounded pretty good. I think Trane is a little louder on the new remaster, and the drums are perhaps slightly more crisp. I can't really say which I prefer. They are both good.

In the process of A/Bing the other tracks from the 63 date.

Given the accuracy of your comments so far, we are all certainly looking forward to that.

My friend and I just A/Bed the first two tracks from the 63 session vs. the old Newport 63 cd. We agree that it is a pretty subtle difference, but we both slightly prefer the sound of Trane's horn on the new cd (even though it does feel a little "pushed") but and we also both like the way the old cd tamed a little bit of the boom in Garrison's bass.

Too bad there are some stupid asswipes who like to complain and knock without having even a slight clue. This one is listing DIRT cheap - I paid $10 for mine.

So let's see...$10 for a new remix of drop dead great material with an unreleased track to boot - and some people still complain.

No wonder the music industry is dying.

Hey, if there are any MUSIC fans out there who know a bit about Coltrane (and know that the '63 Newport smokes) - and if you can afford $10 - this one is a killer.

MAJOR kudos to Verve for putting this out and spending the $$ to get the masters and remix - and fuck the naysayers!

And...anyone who thinks this qualifies as lame simply needs to have their heads examined.

Wow, what a complete fucking asshole.

I've probably bought around 2,000 cds over the last 10 years, and I'm the reason the music industry is dying. Why don't you get the slightest clue about who/what you are posting about before you go around throwing words like "asswipe" around?

Some of us have been weary of (or even insulted by) Universal/Verve's cynical marketing methods for years, and see no need to give them the benefit of the doubt, ESPECIALLY when it comes to new repackagings of material by major artists (where they tend to stoop the lowest).

Off I go to figure out that "ignore" feature...

A complete fucking asshole is someone who calls something "lame" without having the slightest clue about what they're talking about.

Alternative definition - any wimp who calls someone a "fucking asshole" on an otherwise civil internet board. Real men don't do anything online they wouldn't do face to face.

Too bad any fool with a computer can post his stupidity online. Anyways, my mistake, I wasn't aiming my comments at you (I know, you probably assume anytime someone uses the term "asswipe" they mean you) but really at music lovers who should not let the comments of a few dimwits prevent them for getting a great, bargain priced release of kick-ass music in superb sound.

And yes, it's people like you - numbnuts who post DEAD WRONG information without having ANY IDEA AT ALL about the title in question that give otherwise sincere potential buyers the wrong idea about a title that causes them to decide not to buy. An unfortunate byproduct of the internet era is that it gives even those with nothing to contribute the ability to damage a product, and that has indeed contributed to labels only playing it very safe...and to declining sales.

...mis-informed maybe but a complete asswipe is a little strong...just my 2 cents.

m~