London Jazz Recommendations

Brad

A friend of a friend is going to London next week and has asked my friend for some recommendations of places to go. I can only think of Ronnie Scott although my friend mentioned that there's some pizza place that has live jazz. The person who's going is a piano student who has studied under Bruce Barth.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think the pizza place would be Pizza Express on Dean Street. Don't let your friend be put off by the 'pizza' tag if there's someone good playing there: the pizza restaurant is firmly upstairs (although perhaps you can eat downstairs, I forget!), whilst downstairs is a nice basement jazz club. Also, it might be worth seeing who's playing at the Jazz Cafe in Camden. I think those places are the best bet for big names...But a good thing to do might be to turn up in London and buy some kind of listings magazine ('Timeout' is probably as good as any) and just have a look at who's on that night.

Sorry not to have any more specific help - I'm sure others here will have good ideas!

It's also worth getting hold of the current copy of the magazine 'Jazzwise' for the latest London gig listings.

Perusing through my latest copy I see that:

Hans Koller Big Band is on at the Vortex Jazz Bar on the 9th.

Georgie Fame and Dave Newton Quartet are on at Ronnies. (Louis Hayes until the 6th).

London Jazz Orchestra at the Vortex on the 8th.

Andy Sheppard/John Pariccell at the Pizza Express until the 7th.