what was the finest period in your life

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really hard to say. I would guess that it would be the six years in college and grad school are probably in a tie with the two years that I dated my wife and the first four or five years of our marriage. (Before you misunderstand, things are not dire like they were last September - but not as good as they were earlier - mostly for work/financial reasons)

Oh that's easy - Summer of '67. Random sex, life-destroying drugs, and mostly soulless rock music.

:rofl: Where's Uncle Ted when you need him to straighten out you dirty smelly hippies? :g

Hate to sound Pollyannish, but I would have to say it's always been fine. Not always easy, not always fun, but I look at my life right now and as each day passes, I wouldn't change anything in the past for fear of ruining the now.

Edited by Big Al

I'd have to say my initial years on the road (mid-late 1980s) with the Woody Herman band were some of the most exciting and musically formative years in my life thus far, but I strongly believe the best is yet to come. The trials of the last year led to the pursuit and acquisition my new job, and I'm confident that the next "chapter" is going to be a good one.

I also hope anyone else here looking to improve their situation finds what they are looking for! :)

I'm definitely on the backside of the mid-life slope. My health is deteriorating notably. But life's never been better. I've got time to read and listen to music - both of which I enjoy much more now. I don't give much care to work, death, chasing women or looking great, all of which were distractions when I was younger.

Guest donald petersen

reading this thread makes me very sad-i am not sure why...i guess because as my relationship with my GF ends (she is moving out tomorrow it seems) that it makes me think of when we first got together right after i graduated college and life seemed so innocent and happy and i had a fresh new ivy league degree and people were enthusiastic about my talents and chances of success in the world and the knicks were going on their incredible run which included lj's 4 point play and alan houston's series winner versus miami...but what makes me sad is realizing back then i listened to what music i wanted to, i dressed how i wanted to, i was friends with who i wanted to be friends with (and likewise for her to all this)...and now after being back in new york city for about 8 years i (and she) are so freaking self-conscious and hyper-aware and paranoid and judgemental and miserable and neither of us will ever be able to go back to that carefree feeling and on many levels it has really damaged both of our spirits. maybe if we got out of the city but this is what i know and i can't imagine being anywhere else...

Well, after sitting here staring at the monitor trying to ponder the answer to this question...I've come to the realization that evidently the "finest period in my life" hasn't happened yet.

That's what my costly psychoanalist tell me every times I sign a check. :g

Edited by porcy62

Dudes... y'all need to take it day by day!

Just a perfect day,

Drink Sangria in the park,

And then later, when it gets dark,

We go home.

Just a perfect day,

Feed animals in the zoo

Then later, a movie, too,

And then home.

Oh it's such a perfect day,

I'm glad I spent it with you.

Oh such a perfect day,

You just keep me hanging on,

You just keep me hanging on.

Just a perfect day,

Problems all left alone,

Weekenders on our own.

It's such fun.

Just a perfect day,

You made me forget myself.

I thought I was someone else,

Someone good.

Oh it's such a perfect day,

I'm glad I spent it with you.

Oh such a perfect day,

You just keep me hanging on,

You just keep me hanging on.

You're going to reap just what you sow,

You're going to reap just what you sow...

Lou Reed

...and this thread is damn sad, I feel true sympathetic with Aloc.

aloc is living well, and doesnt ever have to work again, and is now listening to pharoah sanders and leon thomas and earlier, trane and george rochman, just finished a great meal, and is going for a long bike ride, and after that, a snort or two, followed by a couple flicks.

no tears for aloc.

"Best", I dunno...I tend to find the silk purse in even a manure-covered sow's ear, so hey...

But I'd have to say that as a whole, my 40s were my "dark years". Combinations of disappointed idealism, unrealistic expectations, financial/emotional stresses of raising kids, frequently out-of-sync emotional/sexual bonds with my soulmate, just about everything I needed to be "happy" I was seeing far too often through the lens of "you should be doing this for me and you ain't, so why do you hate me so fucking much?" I was a dark SOB, and I was drinking/etc. in a very "professional" manner, which is to say that I had developed the skills to be totally blitzed yet totally functional in a totally unnoticeable manner. Needless to say, that only fed the cynicism...

Then one day, about a year or so ago, it all just lifted. I realized that life is finite, but happiness isn't, not if you take the gifts you get and accept them on their own terms. I'd long had this attitude about things, but had always had a hard time applying it to people. "High standards", and all that. I stopped withholding out of resentment and started giving out of joy, and guess what? Life got better. LTB & I have always been close, but it's often been a "stromy road", i you get my drift. No more - we're like newlyweds again , with the exception that now we know what type of person the other is. The "unknown" is pretty much gone and the passion remains. A highly recommended state of affairs, trust me...

I've "let go" of a lot of things - and not just "bad vibes" - over the last year or so. Some have come back, some haven't yet but no doubt will, and some are most likely gone for good. I no longer feel like a middle-aged guy starting to turn the corner to come down the homestretch. I feel like somebody who's lived a lot and is going to live a lot more. What happened "then" was exciting, new, and challenging, and what's going to happen can be, should be, the same. I've got a beautiful woman who loves me at least as much as I love her, and the kids are finally working their way towards total independence, each in their own way. Money's still a roller-coaster, but w/o those lingering resentments built from disappointments (not least of in self), hey, we just deal with and then go to bed.

I don't play nearly as much as I used to, but when I played more, I was less happy as a person. If the time comes when I can paly more and not get back into that negative personal vibe, hey, good. If not, oh well. Like the song says, they can't take that away from me... I've become convinced that keeping a truly creative mindset and a deeply joyful spirit are not mutually exclusive qualities, but I also gotta say that, in these parts anyway, that appears to be a distinctly minority viewpoint... But shit - with only one life to live, I'm not such a super-heavy, potentially world-changing motherfucker that it's worth fucking up other people's lives, including my own, for the sake of being able to say "Fuck you, I'm an ARTIST." And again in these parts anyway, that appears to be a distinctly minority viewpoint, :D

So I gotta say, this time right now just might be the finest time in my life. For now anyway.

The best days have been the ones ever since Al Gore invented the Internet!

21 years with my wife, priceless.

The most long lasting impact days were childhood and teenage with my family. If I hadn't move away, I'd have laughed myself to death...on a tractor.

Thanks, your stories were very interesting!