Attention New Yorkers

My office is just a few blocks from the Grace Building on 43rd Street. Passing by on my way to the subway this evening, I noticed a banner for a free lunchtime concert series. I read looked over the schedule with very low expectations, and boy was I surprised!

July 10 | Tuesday SambaSunda

July 11 | Wednesday, 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm Strange Fruit

July 17 | Tuesday Henry Grimes

July 24 | Tuesday Vieux Farka Touré

July 31 | Tuesday Somi

August 7 | Tuesday Terry Radigan

August 14 | Tuesday Marie Knight

Looks like I will have to figure a way to step out of the office on a Tuesday or two this summer...

My office is just a few blocks from the Grace Building on 43rd Street. Passing by on my way to the subway this evening, I noticed a banner for a free lunchtime concert series. I read looked over the schedule with very low expectations, and boy was I surprised!

July 10 | Tuesday SambaSunda

July 11 | Wednesday, 12:00 pm, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm Strange Fruit

July 17 | Tuesday Henry Grimes

July 24 | Tuesday Vieux Farka Touré

July 31 | Tuesday Somi

August 7 | Tuesday Terry Radigan

August 14 | Tuesday Marie Knight

Looks like I will have to figure a way to step out of the office on a Tuesday or two this summer...

Henry's gig is in support of the "Let your motto be resistance" exhibit at the ICP. I went through the exhibit a week or so ago....very good....catch it..and Henry if you can!!!

m~

People who find themselves in New York City this summer (and I can't think of a better place to be) might want to make all three of the following dates. They're all free and open to the public! I might add that the outdoor concerts are part of a well-funded series, though, so the musicians do get paid quite decently.

post-3606-1183854894.jpg

(L-R) James Zollar, Henry Grimes, Newman Taylor Baker, J.D. Allen

Tuesday, July 17th, 12:3O-1:45 p.m. (as mentioned above by Mark Sheldon & J. Larsen): The Henry Grimes Quartet featuring J.D. Allen, James Zollar, & Newman Taylor Baker, "Summer on the Plaza" series at the Grace Building, southeast corner of 43rd St. & 6th Ave. (Ave. of the Americas), Manhattan, outdoors, free and open to the public. The quartet will celebrate our African-American heroes by playing pieces written by or made known by musicians whose images are shown in the photo exhibit "Let Your Motto Be Resistance" across the street (northwest corner) at the International Center of Photography, including Louis Armstrong, Nat "King" Cole, Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington, Coleman Hawkins, Jimi Hendrix, Billie Holiday, Paul Robeson, Bessie Smith, Billy Strayhorn, Sarah Vaughan, Mary Lou Williams, and many more, information 212-417-7O72 (concert), 212-857-OOOO (exhibit only), www.brookfieldproperties.com/grace-concerts (click on "Summer on the Plaza"), http://tinyurl.com/2y9l34 (concert listing on the ICP Web site), www.icp.org, http://tinyurl.com/2brtwn (about the ICP exhibit), hwall@brookfieldproperties.com, info@icp.org. Take M5, M6, M7, or M1O4 bus, or A, B, C, D, E, F, N, Q, R, S, V, W or 1, 2, 3, 7 train to Times Square / 42nd St. / Port Authority.

Also Tuesday, July 17th, 7 p.m: Marc Ribot's Spiritual Unity, w/ Roy Campbell, Jr. and Chad Taylor and featuring Henry Grimes, River to River Festival at the World Financial Center on the plaza, West St. betw. Vesey and Liberty St's, Manhattan, free and open to the public, 212-945-O5O5, www.worldfinancialcenter.com/calendar/default.asp?typeId=1, info@worldfinancialcenter.com. NOTE: Marc Ribot will also play solo and with his group Ceramic Dog. Take 2, 3, 4, 5, C, J, M, Z trains to Fulton St./ Broadway-Nassau, E or PATH train to World Trade Center, R or W train to City Hall, 1 train to Rector St., M1 or M6 bus to Broadway & Liberty St's, M9 bus to South End Ave., or M2O or M22 bus to North End Ave.

Wednesday, July 18th, 8 p.m: Henry Grimes reading his poetry from his first published book, "Signs Along the Road," and playing his violin, Deacon Blue Cafe, 417 Prospect Place at Grand Ave. near Eastern Parkway & the Brooklyn Museum, Brooklyn, 8 p.m., free and open to the public, 347-529-O3O7, www.deaconbluecafe.com, deaconbluecafe@optonline.net. Take 4 or 5 train to Franklin Ave.

Let our motto be resistance!

For bookings, additional photos, interviews, CD's, books, etc., please contact Margaret Davis, musicmargaret@earthlink.net, Voicemail 212-841-O899.

www.henrygrimes.com

Edited by musicmargaret