Albert Ayler ESP CDs

J Larsen

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I understand completely.

I'm doing this (replacing ESP products as they become availabele) but I don't know why beyond. . . wanting to get official product at last!

And I am getting all the RVGs because. . .well. . . I have the whole US series (quite a few Japanese). . . inertia? Habit? Because I love the sound? Probably most because Ilove the sound.

I'd totally get all of the RVG's and the new ESP's, if I could afford to upgrade. But because I'm in school still, its mostly the money, because if I had the cash handy I'd be there evey release day :excited: Luckily, it looks like the RVG's will be around (knock on the wooden door of what used to be EMI) for awhile and the same with ESP. But having tight purse strings is a good thing I guess, then I don't have a tendency to go overboard. Makes me wonder if I did have umlimited funds....oh oh :blink:

Guest donald petersen

probably not helpful to mention but just wanted to say that an overlooked um...post ayler ESP? is the sunny murray self-titled album (w. byard lancaster, alan silva, jacques coursil and some guy i have never heard of ((jack graham)) )

probably not helpful to mention but just wanted to say that an overlooked um...post ayler ESP? is the sunny murray self-titled album (w. byard lancaster, alan silva, jacques coursil and some guy i have never heard of ((jack graham)) )

Have it, and dig it (mine's on the Abraxis label). Did the 'new ESP release it?

I picked up the ESP CD versions of Spiritual Unity and Bells/Prophecy (as well as Live on the Rivera, which I didn't have before) - I have to say the sound quality on the studio albums really exceeded my expectations - far better than the old vinyl reissues I have. I'll be picking up the rest this week. Thanks for the advice.

Speaking of Coursil, I wonder if the (supposedly complete) session he cut for ESP (with Marion Brown, Rashied Ali and probably one of several likely bassists) will ever see the light of day? Tapes do exist...

As prolific as ESP's reissue program is these days, I'd certainly like to hope that that happens. There is very little Coursil available stateside these days--and the BYGs are nonexistent in any large numbers---and it would be nice to have some more out there.

Re-listening to his leader sessions on BYG, the talk about this one, makes me think I'm going to writing something up about the new album this week. It's not the sort of thing fans of Coursil's free jazz might listen to, but it's potently strange--about half the album has this ambient whole-step minor chord motion, ala Moncur's "Love and Hate", and I can't get Coursil's limpid lines out of my head.

Also--I just found a copy of The Hilversum Session--one of the few Aylers I didn't already have--and I think it's somewhere on the same level as Vibrations, which is probably my favorite Ayler session. Foremost, I'm shocked at just how good Vibrations and Hilversum sound, especially compared to the generally poor sound of the ESPs.

:D

Listening to Spirits Rejoice ESP-DISK cd right now and loving it.

Hope you enjoyed the photos inside the booklet. They're from a series I took during the recording session -_-

Sorry to report there are no photos in the inside booklet of this new ESP-DISK cd. Just text.

What new Hilversum edition? I have the Coppens CD, seems it's been pretty elusive but as far as I knew still around:

http://www.ayler.supanet.com/html/the_hilversum_session.html

On what label's the new edition? Anything special about it (notes, photos, bonus material)?

It's one of my most beloved Aylers - I prefer it quite a bit over "Vibrations"!

:D

Listening to Spirits Rejoice ESP-DISK cd right now and loving it.

Hope you enjoyed the photos inside the booklet. They're from a series I took during the recording session -_-

Sorry to report there are no photos in the inside booklet of this new ESP-DISK cd. Just text.

The official ESP reissue of the session is the one with this cover

a.ayler_7.jpg

The liner notes include the photos!

Edited by brownie