Albert Ayler ESP CDs

J Larsen

(...) That's at least the most neon of the Hilversum covers we've had. Good that it's going to be out to the public once again.

-Very, very nice to see that the Murray album is going to be in wider circulation. I'm not familiar with the history of that one, so I'm not sure whether the cover image on the ESP website is the original artwork (versus the B&W closeup on the Abraxas reissue)--regardless, I wonder if ESP is trying to find new cover art for their reissues, if only to distance themselves from the dozens of illegitimate products still up and about. Some of the "new" ESP's artistic choices, like the "mosaic" Spirits Rejoice cover (above), aren't quite so sound.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

Listening to Spirits Rejoice ESP-DISK cd right now and loving it.

Hope you enjoyed the photos inside the booklet. They're from a series I took during the recording session -_-

Sorry to report there are no photos in the inside booklet of this new ESP-DISK cd. Just text.

The official ESP reissue of the session is the one with this cover

a.ayler_7.jpg

The liner notes include the photos!

You're right. I ordered the orignal from cduniverse I thought. . . got the Abraxas.

Just fixed that via an order from ESP-DISK itself. .

Edited by jazzbo

:D

Listening to Spirits Rejoice ESP-DISK cd right now and loving it.

Hope you enjoyed the photos inside the booklet. They're from a series I took during the recording session -_-

Sorry to report there are no photos in the inside booklet of this new ESP-DISK cd. Just text.

The official ESP reissue of the session is the one with this cover

a.ayler_7.jpg

The liner notes include the photos!

You're right. I ordered the orignal from cduniverse I thought. . . got the Abraxas.

Just fixed that via an order from ESP-DISK itself. .

That's terrible! Is CD Universe going to refund your money?

MG

Saw the new Sunny Murray ESP artwork and along with Spirits Rejoice, I wish that they would've released these albums with the original artwork, which is so raw and contemporary. I'm also not crazy about those twofers, like Bells/Prophecy either where they overlay one cover over another. As a consequence, I'll end up holding on to the Murray Abraxis and the Ayler Claibres for the original artwork alone. A shame, because I really want to support and buy from the new ESP Disk company. And although its the music that really matters, those changes to the original artwork are really turning into a distraction. :angry:

Saw the new Sunny Murray ESP artwork and along with Spirits Rejoice, I wish that they would've released these albums with the original artwork, which is so raw and contemporary. I'm also not crazy about those twofers, like Bells/Prophecy either where they overlay one cover over another. As a consequence, I'll end up holding on to the Murray Abraxis and the Ayler Claibres for the original artwork alone. A shame, because I really want to support and buy from the new ESP Disk company. And although its the music that really matters, those changes to the original artwork are really turning into a distraction. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

You're probably right about distinguishing the reissues by the new covers. I thought I was getting the new reissue by the cover on cduniverse, they fooled me! :) By the way, the back cover of the cd booklet IS the original cover, so all you have to do is flip the cover over and close it and you can have it as the front cover.

I did get the new reissue (the correct one) from ESP-DISK themselves, and Brownie, YES, I'm really enjoying your photos (and your portion of the notes!) Thanks for setting me straight.

News this week or so is that ESP-DISK is now distributing and selling the Revenant "Holy Ghost" box set!

Edited by jazzbo

I used to have the original release of "Spiritual Unity", numbered (it was @2) and autographed by Ayler. I sold it for $65 and may well have made a big mistake.

Wow. I'd have given you a lot more than that for an early edition, too!

Those were the 'promotional' LP's right? There were 100 copies I think which Ayler signed, and the last time I saw one of those, it sold for $1500 on Ebay!