Favorite pizza places (past, present)

Yeast-free pizza crust

I don't know, it seems like if you're avoiding dairy AND yeast AND meat then maybe the pizza thing just isn't going to happen. I've tried the total vegatarian-type of pizza and I must say it was awful. Some things I'd rather just give up entirely than have to settle for the compromised version. Some people learn to like those alernative ingredients, more power to 'em.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm vegetarian, so I've no first-hand knowledge of pizza.

they only put meat on the pizza if you ask for it.

True, but most cheese contains meat (rennet, made from the stomachs of calves).

I'm pretty sure fresh mozzarella is typically rennet-free (though a quick web search revealed that this is not always the case...), but if you are vegan I guess that is a non-issue - the pizza thing just isn't going to happen.

I was a vegan for a while and found that the worst vegan food was the stuff trying to emulate inherently non-vegan food. The one vegan pizza I had was really depressing.

I'm pretty sure fresh mozzarella is typically rennet-free (though a quick web search revealed that this is not always the case...), but if you are vegan I guess that is a non-issue - the pizza thing just isn't going to happen.

I was a vegan for a while and found that the worst vegan food was the stuff trying to emulate inherently non-vegan food. The one vegan pizza I had was really depressing.

I was making pizza a couple of weeks ago and forgot to get a non-dairy cheese substitute for a neighbor who's breast feeding baby's intestinal track doesn't like it when mama eats dairy. I made a pie with red sauce, lots of roasted garlic and some fresh basil, it was very tasty.

I was making pizza a couple of weeks ago and forgot to get a non-dairy cheese substitute for a neighbor who's breast feeding baby's intestinal track doesn't like it when mama eats dairy. I made a pie with red sauce, lots of roasted garlic and some fresh basil, it was very tasty.

That's the way to do it. The path to misery and despair is paved with "vegan cheese".

Sorry I don't share the same enthusiasm as some of you when it come to deep dish pizza.

I'm a purist and pizza was never meant to be made that way. ;)

New York has many great pizza joints, here are a few favorites..

In Brooklyn....

DiFara (Avenue J, Midwood)

Totonno's (near Coney)

L&B (86th Street, Bensonhurst/Gravesend)

Grimaldi's (on Fulton)

Casa Calamari (Bath Ave)

Owners-1.jpg

sign.jpg

BROOKLYN2.JPG

difara.jpg

brickoven.jpg

Queens...

Nick's (Forest Hills)

New Park (Howard Beach)

Michelangelo’s Famous Thin Pizza (Astoria and Great Neck LI)

VI (Bayside)

2006_5_ffd1.jpg

Staten Island..

Joe and Pat's

Also in Brooklyn, Frank's(Flatbush Ave & Quentin Road) makes a great slice, cheesy but not overly so.

...so here I am @ Rick's Boatyard eating, what else, but a fancy-schmancy pizza (wood fired, blah blah...) because I've been craving pizza since the start of this thread. I'm usually not a fan of new-fangled pizza concoctions, but I love Rick's New Mexico barbecue pizza which has grilled chicken, barbecue sauce, monterey jack cheese and charred corn salsa (I know Catesta, you're probably gagging right now) on a great flatbread crust. Maybe it's the combination of that and the wonderful draft beer I'm enjoying plus the great music from the under-appreciated jazz combo who are pouring their souls out in their music for a clientele who doesn't have a clue (I'm the only one clapping, but I'm clapping passionately) and the view of the sailboats on the water with the setting sun that makes me love this pizza even more right now... :wub:

:rlol

Yeah... you know what I'm talkin' 'bout. :tup^_^

Edited by rachel

My neighborhood delivery place, Lombardi's, is pretty good.

lombardi's is your "neighborhood delivery" place? g_d what a life of oppulence you must live....

I used to live around the corner, now I'm a few blocks up. They haven't been nearly as consistent since the character-killing expansion, but the pies are still often great and never worse than pretty good. This may be a fluke, but in my experience you tend to do much better with delivery than with in-store pies, almost as if they are more careful with orders from regular customers vs. the tourists who constantly mob the restaurant.

Lombardi's is the best pizza I have ever had in NYC or anywhere.

Guest donald petersen

jarsen-do you ever go by parisi's bakery on elizabeth (between houston and bleecker)?

sometimes it is open and they will make you some pizza.

it is a completely sketchy place and there is definitely bad stuff going on and it is open at odd hours, probably because it is a front but the pizza is pretty good...sort of they just take the bread and throw some sauce on and a little bit of cheese...but the bread and sauce are really good. but bad things happen in the back, i think. i used to work on that block sometimes and i would always hope parisi's was open so i could get some pizza. but maybe i am just being sentimental.

lol...for fun doing some research i pull this up...

A search warrant for Parisi’s Bakery at 290 Elizabeth St. between E. Houston and Bleecker Sts. and an apartment in the building was executed during a raid at 11:45 a.m. Fri. Nov. 14 when police confiscated 74 pounds of marijuana, a shotgun and an unspecified quantity of “miscellaneous drugs,” police said. Frank Parisi, 48, of Staten Island, proprietor of the bakery, was arrested in connection with the raid, police said.

jarsen-do you ever go by parisi's bakery on elizabeth (between houston and bleecker)?

sometimes it is open and they will make you some pizza.

it is a completely sketchy place and there is definitely bad stuff going on and it is open at odd hours, probably because it is a front but the pizza is pretty good...sort of they just take the bread and throw some sauce on and a little bit of cheese...but the bread and sauce are really good. but bad things happen in the back, i think. i used to work on that block sometimes and i would always hope parisi's was open so i could get some pizza. but maybe i am just being sentimental.

lol...for fun doing some research i pull this up...

A search warrant for Parisi’s Bakery at 290 Elizabeth St. between E. Houston and Bleecker Sts. and an apartment in the building was executed during a raid at 11:45 a.m. Fri. Nov. 14 when police confiscated 74 pounds of marijuana, a shotgun and an unspecified quantity of “miscellaneous drugs,” police said. Frank Parisi, 48, of Staten Island, proprietor of the bakery, was arrested in connection with the raid, police said.

I've been to Parisi's and walk by it all the time (usually on the way to a restaurant or wine shop), but I didn't even know they made pizza.

Below Houston in that area there is still definitely a LOT of mob activity. Not necessarily in the form of public violence, but there is a lot of shadey business activity down there.

True, but most cheese contains meat (rennet, made from the stomachs of calves). And for me, I don't do dairy or yeast. Or eggs, though they're more rare in pizza crust, I s'pose.

And yes, sometimes I feel like I'm 'missing out'.

That means you gotta make a pizza with this stuff....

Although, I don't know how you get around the no yeast thing.

Yeah, the no-yeast thing is a drag. Think: beer.

Hell, if it wasn't for all the sex with hairy-legged women, I'd have quit this vegetarian thing long ago. :huh:

One of my favorites (though not exactly traditional despite being served in a traditionally red vinyl-boothed Italian restaurant) is Etna's on El Cajon Blvd. in San Diego. One of the densest, sweetest crusts I've ever had and plenty of cheese. I rarely go to SD without stopping in and/or bringing one back home with me.

One of the more memorable pies I've ever had in my life (and I love my pizza!) was, believe it or not, the Hawaiian pizza at Moose McGillicuty's in Maui back in the late 80's. I've had plenty of ham and pinapple pies, but this was special - I'd never had anything like it. Unfortunately, when my wife and I returned there on our next trip, several years later, they had completely changed their pizza recipes and the Hawaiian they served us then was pretty lame, the kind of Hawaiian pizza you'd find anywhere.