Lee Morgan: THE RAJAH

why no u.s. rvg for cornbread? that's a stone cold masterpiece.

Have to agree about Cornbread. The Rajah is a good Lee Morgan album, Cornbread is a great one.

Mobley, McLean, Hancock, Ridley, Higgins, what a lineup. Maybe with all of the Lee Morgan cd's coming up for RVG'ing in the next few months this one will show up in the next batch of reissues.

Here's hoping.

Todd

Have to agree about Cornbread. The Rajah is a good Lee Morgan album, Cornbread is a great one.

Mobley, McLean, Hancock, Ridley, Higgins, what a lineup. Maybe with all of the Lee Morgan cd's coming up for RVG'ing in the next few months this one will show up in the next batch of reissues.

Did Cornbread recently go out of print?

edit: Nope, it's still widely available.

Guy

Edited by Guy

Sorry to be the voice of dissent here, but I've never understood the hubbub about Cornbread. Sure, Ceora is one of Lee's best tunes and best solos, but to these ears, that's the only track that has anything going for it. All the other tracks feel like the all-star lineup is simply going through the motions.

As for The Rajah, from the stuff I've heard, it's in a similar league of quality as some of Lee's later BNs (Charisma, The Sixth Sense, etc...). Not particularly great, but worth a listen nonetheless.

Sorry to be the voice of dissent here, but I've never understood the hubbub about Cornbread. Sure, Ceora is one of Lee's best tunes and best solos, but to these ears, that's the only track that has anything going for it. All the other tracks feel like the all-star lineup is simply going through the motions.

As for The Rajah, from the stuff I've heard, it's in a similar league of quality as some of Lee's later BNs (Charisma, The Sixth Sense, etc...). Not particularly great, but worth a listen nonetheless.

Totally with you on Cornbread, it has always amounted to much less than the sum of the parts. The Rajah is better than the albums you mention because of some good Cal Massey tunes written for it.

Better than The Sidewinder.

Guy

Cornbread & Dippin' are about as good as that particular thing ever got.

And that's not opinion, that's fact! :g :g :g :g :g

Wild... I love Cornbread and am always baffled when people inclined to like that type of jazz at all aren't into it (though that is what makes us human...), but I've always found Dippin' to be a little weak. Taste is a funny thing.

Guy

Yes, that really is a disappointing record for me. I was really bummed when I got that one home.

Guy

Yes, that really is a disappointing record for me. I was really bummed when I got that one home.

:blink:

To each their own...

Now, didn't The Rajah have one of those goofball LT-series covers?

It was released for the first time in 1984 with a "real" cover (well, not an LT cover) when they started putting out those DMM remasters by McMaster. I've still got mine.