Albums with Ron Carter on Electric Bass?

ShowsOn

I mainly lurk on this forum, but I've got a question:

I recently picked up the Keepnews remaster of Joe Henderson's album Power To The People. I really like this album, even more so than other Henderson titles I own such as Multiple and Relaxin' at the Camarillo. I in particular like the tracks on the album where Ron Carter is playing electric bass. As I understand it, he isn't much of a fan of that instrument, but he has an amazing ability to create an amazing groove that I really like.

So my question is simple, what other good albums feature Ron Carter on electric bass? Even if just a few tracks. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I have the late 60s Miles Davis albums that he plays on, but I can't remember specifically which tracks he plays electric bass on. I think it is only a few.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

Damn near any CTI album has Ron on electric bass. I suggest Freddie Hubbard's STRAIGHT LIFE and RED CLAY for great examples of that!

I... don't think so... Are you sure?

You can probably find some Atlantic "pop" sessions where Carter played electric, but I can't name any. The Gene McDaniels thing Harold mentioned would be one.

Guest donald petersen

i was thinking the same thing...i don't think carter plays e-bass on "red clay" or "straight life" but i hate both albums and haven't heard them in years.

carter does play some e-bass on the CTI albums "blues farm" and "anything goes"...if i remember.

he also plays some e-bass on "big bad jug" by gene ammons, doesn't he?

and on some johnny lytle stuff too-what is the name of that album? "the soulful rebel"?

he also plays some e-bass on lonnie smith's "mama wailer" album.

these are just off the top of my head.

I haven't listened to Red Clay for a while but if I recall correctly It's electric bass on the title track at least.

Turrentine's Sugar is definitely electric bass.

Ron Carter played electric bass on some of the Rascal's Atlantic stuff as did Jerry Jemmott and Chuck Rainey.

WOW, thank you everyone for these suggestions. I have the Freddie Hubbard albums, but didn't realise it is him playing electric bass. But thanks for the other recommendations, I'll have to take my time seeking some of them out.

Damn near any CTI album has Ron on electric bass. I suggest Freddie Hubbard's STRAIGHT LIFE and RED CLAY for great examples of that!

I... don't think so... Are you sure?

You can probably find some Atlantic "pop" sessions where Carter played electric, but I can't name any. The Gene McDaniels thing Harold mentioned would be one.

Are y'all talking about an electric bass guitar? Or an upright electric bass? Or an upright acoustic with an electric pickup? I'm just wondering because that sure sounds like an electric bass on all those CTI albums. Can someone clarify? Thanks! :)

carter does play some e-bass on the CTI albums "blues farm" and "anything goes"...if i remember.

I have Blues Farm - no electric bass on this, just upright with pickup.

Not sure about Anything Goes, don't have it anymore - an album best forgotten ....

Are y'all talking about an electric bass guitar? Or an upright electric bass? Or an upright acoustic with an electric pickup? I'm just wondering because that sure sounds like an electric bass on all those CTI albums. Can someone clarify? Thanks! :)

I think "electric bass" denotes the Fender bass guitar, an upright with a pickup is not considered "electric" in normal jazz usage, the pickup used for amplification purposes only, although it certainly alters the sound, especially when recorded via direct imput (from the pickup into the mixing board). To be exact, it would have to be called "electro-acoustic".

I think "electric bass" denotes the Fender bass guitar, an upright with a pickup is not considered "electric" in normal jazz usage, the pickup used for amplification purposes only, although it certainly alters the sound, especially when recorded via direct imput (from the pickup into the mixing board). To be exact, it would have to be called "electro-acoustic".

Okay, that makes much more sense.

Sorry ShowsOn, I didn't know what I was talking about. Again. :winky:

Doug Payne's CTI discography says that Carter plays electric bass on two tracks from Hubbard's Red Clay, the title track and John Lennon's Cold Turkey. Maybe Payne had access to CTI's studio logs.

BTW, am I wrong or has Red Clay (the tune) been built on the chords of Sunny?

yes, it is contrafact from "Sunny". Anyway, Ron is seen playing electric bass on the inner sleeve to "CTI Summer Jazz At the Hollywood Bowl", but reportedly the actual electric bass you hear on that record was overdubbed by Gary King, that is definitely true as Steve Gadd overdubbed drums over Jack DeJohnette who is only heard on "Cherry". Tho if you listen closely throughout all three volumes you can hear Jack's cymbals from the original recording bleed through.

Guest donald petersen

carter does not play e-bass on "the third world". that is an old school album.

however i think he does play e-bass on some of larry coryell's "coryell" album. so does chuck rainey.

Guest donald petersen

also johnny hammond's "higher ground" which is kudu which means CTI basically and it is better than any of those freddie hubbard CTI joints, IMO. i mean the hubbard joints people are talking about in this thread...as you know, i like "keep your soul together" a lot.