Albums with Ron Carter on Electric Bass?

ShowsOn

Guest donald petersen

there is also wild horses rock steady from a few yeard before higher ground but it isn't as good...it is more CTI produced with strings and many musicians involved for no good reason. and no joe henderson. joe henderson brings it on higher ground. i'm telling you-if you like those interminable hubbard CTI blowouts, you will really like higher ground. joe henderson...george benson...hammond...they bring it. except for a moment during higher ground the song where mr. hammond sort of disappears, leaving comping duties to bob james on e-piano which is fine but it's weird hammond just isn't there.

I just took a look at a CD reissue of the Flying Dutchman Pieces of a Man, and Ron is the only bass player listed (the sleeve is a reproduction of the LP interior). "Revolution" is on that one, so I guess that's it (unless there's some info missing).

I don't have any of Gil's stuff either on cd or lp, but I took a look at cd universe and came up with this:

Scott-Heron, Gil - Revolution Will Not Be Televised CD Cover Art

Large Front

Revolution Will Not Be Televised CD

Gil Scott-Heron

4 stars

Our Price: $9.65

Add to Cart Add to Wish List

Availability:Usually ships in 1-2 days

Format: CD

Email a Friend

Detailed Information

List Price $11.98 (You save $2.33)

Category Rock/Pop, Rock, Jazz, Soul/R&B, Jazz Vocals, Contemporary Jazz Vocals

Label Bluebird RCA (USA)

Orig Year 1974

All Time Sales Rank 10507

CDU Part# 1111268

Catalog# 6994

Discs 1

Street Date Oct 25, 1990

Studio/Live Studio

Mono/Stereo Stereo

Producer Bob Thiele; Joe Lopes

Engineer Bob Simpson

Personnel Bernard Purdie

Brian Jackson - piano

Burt Jones - guitar

Charlie Saunders - percussion

David Spinozza

Eddie Knowles

Gerry Jemmott

Gil Scott-Heron - vocals, various instruments

Hubert Laws

Ron Carter - bass instrument

Also: Bernard Purdie,

On that particular track (revolution), which is really about the only track I heard on that - and it's been a while - my money is on Jemmott. I'm sure it's him. The sound is clear and defined. It's Gerry's sound. A Fender jazz bass with the bridge pickup mixed in for definition., For a reference check Gerry on BB King's "The Thrill Is Gone"album.

Ron's electric sound is not as defined (check "Sugar".)

Edited by Harold_Z

during that session Carter was complaining about all the electric instruments - he said "everything's electric - the organ, the guitar, this bass; and you think it's easy to play this damn electric bass? It's so heavy, do you think anybody might care enough to get me something so I can sit down?"

so they got him an electric chair -

Guest donald petersen

carter plays some e-bass on charles earland's "kharma" album. only on a song or two. nothing to get hard over. actually one of the songs he appears on is pretty nice. i think part II of the dr. king suite or whatever.

I'd be loathe to question Harold Z too much on this type thing, y'all. The cat's a "been there done that" type player who's got ears that most of us don't when it comes to not only player's live sounds, but also player's recorded sounds & how they can be varied based on engineering, production, etc.

If he says it's Jemmott, I'm going to need more that a CD booklet to convince me otherwise.

It must be awkward for a guy accustomed to a bass fiddle to switch to a bass guitar - playing sideways instead of upright. I feel this way cos I recently got a bass guitar myself. (!)

Considering how wonderful Ron's bass fiddle sound is, it is a waste to have him on an electric. Ironically, he didn't like it when Miles made him switch to electric (for the Kilimanjaro album), and that was one reason why he left Miles's group. So what does Miles do? He hires Dave Holland, and Dave plays acoustic!

Considering how wonderful Ron's bass fiddle sound is ...

... but with those awful pickups it rarely sounds as wonderful. I have only two adequate recordings:

- Michel Sardaby's "Voyage" from 1984, and audiophile recording with just one pair of mics, on the French Harmonic label

- Johnny Griffin's "The Kerry Dancers" on Riverside (the OJC CD might still be around)

It must be awkward for a guy accustomed to a bass fiddle to switch to a bass guitar - playing sideways instead of upright. I feel this way cos I recently got a bass guitar myself. (!)

Considering how wonderful Ron's bass fiddle sound is, it is a waste to have him on an electric. Ironically, he didn't like it when Miles made him switch to electric (for the Kilimanjaro album), and that was one reason why he left Miles's group. So what does Miles do? He hires Dave Holland, and Dave plays acoustic!

Richard Davis used to hold the Fender vertically. It was (I guess) more comfortable to him like that. He's another guy, like Ron, who hated playing Fender, but would do record dates on it.