Have you got jazz loving neighbours?

mikeweil

When I returned home today I heard trumpet sounds in the yard - new neighbours moved in in the house next to ours, a couple with three little children, the 6 year old boy made friends with me last weekend.

I couldn't believe my ears: I identified Chet Baker's Riverside album with Herbie Mann and Bill Evans, It Never Entered My Mind. That would be so nice! I didn't see anybody or I would have asked, but their windows were the only ones open .....

Does anyone here happen to have jazz loving neighbours?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, no ...

Used to have a neighbor who lived across the street who would blast classic rock while washing his car in the driveway. Journey, Jefferson Starship, Kiss. It was quite the party. :party:

You should compose a song about it and call it Driveway to hell.

Edited by Van Basten II

I rarely hear music emanating from any houses in this area. Cars, yes, and it's typically the rap/hip-hop stuff with the bass you can FEEL from 300 yards away. When I do hear music coming from a home, it's usually the same thing, or some type of hard rock designed to threaten the eardrums. Jazz people generally don't play it loud, from the house or the car. I know I don't. It would be nice to pick up the strains of Chet Baker coming from somebody's window, though. :cool: I'm sure those people are scattered around here (in relatively small numbers), they just tend not to stand out. ;)

I have: one neighbourg playing electric bass, one drummer one block from me, and a musical instrument shop around the corner. Plus an Irish pub who has some gigs, now and then.

My other neighbours are: a community of Bangla Desh' illegal immigrants, nice music and inviting curry's flavour, (honestly, the nicest neighbours I had in my life) and a deaf lady, 95 y/o, from Morocco, once she was a famous dancer.

Overall I am the worst one: nobody's other then me spins Nessa's records at two a.m.

The guy in the apartment above me is playing the trombone, sometimes a little too late in the evening, but I'd rather use earplugs on those rare occasions than say something about it. After all, I'm playing the piano... He is apparantly retired, but plays dixieland at some bar nearby regularly. I could never identify what records he plays, but it seems to be dixieland, swing or -revival kind of stuff.

Once in a while he plays some honky-tonk piano as well; unbearably out of tune...

Yes! I've slowly gotten the next door neighbor hooked with a little help from Evans, Wynton Kelly, Art Pepper... On Friday nights the neighbors ask me to put the speakers out the front window while we sit out in the cul de sac and have a few pops. Last Fri I was spinning Kelly Blue, Henderson 'In & Out', disc 8 from the West Mongtgomery Riverside Box , Levy 'Jazz in 4 Colours, and the Blakey Birdland Vol. 3 TOCJ. Two other neighbors asked if I could 'ahem' sort of help 'em out a bit with their 'next to nothing' collections.

1. Used to have a drummer across the street who had worked regularly with Joe Bonner. His daily practice was a pleasure to hear.

2. In my apartment living years, one day I put on "Mingus Ah Um," maybe a little too loud. In the silences between tracks, I became aware that the guy downstairs had put on his copy of "Mingus Ah Um" too.

1. Used to have a drummer across the street who had worked regularly with Joe Bonner. His daily practice was a pleasure to hear.

2. In my apartment living years, one day I put on "Mingus Ah Um," maybe a little too loud. In the silences between tracks, I became aware that the guy downstairs had put on his copy of "Mingus Ah Um" too.

In my apartment living years, I put on the Art Ensemble of Chicago's "Full Force" when a group of us returned to my apartment after seeing a concert. It was a national holiday the next day. I may have played it just a wee bit loudly, although no windows were literally broken by the volume.

At 5:30 a.m., the guy downstairs played a Journey album, loudly. He told me later that day that he was trying to teach me a lesson so he played his favorite album too.

The only music I hear from neighbours are constant clanging of pots and pans or dance music with excessive bass and turned up to max volume. Both are highly irritating but luckily the latter has stopped. They probably think jazz = Kenny G or Dave Koz.

<_<

One set of next door neighbors are a pair of rich 19 year olds going through their ironic 80s phase = nothing but Michael Jackson's Thriller album.

The other set are an older couple who primarily reside in France and, on the rare occassions that they are home, play Otis Redding.

Upstairs I have a guy who very occassionally plays techno that I can only hear if I really try.

The guy across the hall doesn't seem to listen to any music, but smokes so much weed that my living room occassionally reeks of it.

I'm definitely the loudest person on my floor between my stereo and my electric guitar, but the neighbors seem to be very tolerant.