50th Anniversary of Monterey Jazz Festival and Cal Tjader

DRD

Many Tjader fans may now be aware that Cal has been left out of the 50th Anniversary festivities at Monterey. Given the fact that Cal was there from the beginning in 1958 and that his April 20, 1959 "Jazz Festival Preview" concert saved his friend Jimmy Lyons from going under and put the festival on the map, this is a glaring omission. I sent a letter to Tim Jackson, General Manager of the festival. His prompt and cordial reply came in less than a week. Mr. Jackson's reason for leaving Cal out was that there wouldn't be enough time to properly acknowledge his overall contribution. He went on to say that a Tjader tribute will be held within a few years. I understand the time factor but he could still mention Cal and tell the audience about the upcoming tribute. Surely there is enough time for that. Cal's daughter Liz will write a letter on that topic. We have thoroughly discussed it. The lack of respect that Cal Tjader has received from jazz critics and historians over the years amazes me but the Monterey snub is really hard to understand. No one artist has contributed more to Monterey as far as I know. Maybe Jackson will change his mind after the second letter.

The lack of respect that Cal Tjader has received from jazz critics and historians over the years amazes me but the Monterey snub is really hard to understand. No one artist has contributed more to Monterey as far as I know. Maybe Jackson will change his mind after the second letter.
I really hope he does. There is no excuse for this omission.

• 1 year later...

thank you Duncan for all your support for my Dad! Additionally, the American Jazz Hall of Fame c.1983 to present seems to continually be remiss in recognition of all my Dad's accomplishement's from Band personal to braking color barriers in the 50's -Givent the list of those IN, I can personally account for 18 names of whom he shared the stage or recorded with. I guess, Tjust another Snub for Tjader Tjazz--Rob Sonnyboy

Edited by SonnyBoy

At least Monterey Jazz Festival Records finally got around to issue a CD of Tjader's contributions to the Festival, it includes the complete performance from the first 1958 festival and a track each from four subsequent performances.

An aspect less nice is that the label holds all the rights, so the Tjader family won't get any royalties out of that issue, a close friend of theirs has informed me. Oh well .....

The disc is nice, nonetheless:

1018276.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

At least Monterey Jazz Festival Records finally got around to issue a CD of Tjader's contributions to the Festival, it includes the complete performance from the first 1958 festival and a track each from four subsequent performances.

An aspect less nice is that the label holds all the rights, so the Tjader family won't get any royalties out of that issue, a close friend of theirs has informed me. Oh well .....

1018276.jpg

to be honest Mike, royalties are nice but not the primary driver( to me atleast). I was going through some memorabilia as I came across the 1st PRE-MJF concert because Jimmy Lyons was concerned this wasn't going to fly, timetable is Tjuly 1958, then I have the 1st MJF show catalog '1958, the 2nd 1959 and so on. My Dad and Jimmy were friends. My dad would do most anything for most anybody that would ask. I cannot count the number of benefit concerts I attended growing up where he Paid the band out of his pocket as well as giving of himself. it truly urkes me the way he has been overlooked.

So, I have really taken offense to my dad being omitted from the True 50 year recap, additionally, and secondarily, not even being up for consideration for the American Jazz Hall of Fame. My Dad was a true gentleman, very gracious, and would always give way to others. I however, am not quite as mild-mannered as my Dad and will be openly be letting some of my views be heard to the proper ears with a bit more intensity because I truly feel that his contributions directly, his discovery of " Up and coming artists" etc..

Best Regards-

Rob Tjader

1018276.jpg

to be honest Mike, royalties are nice but not the primary driver( to me atleast). I was going through some memorabilia as I came across the 1st PRE-MJF concert because Jimmy Lyons was concerned this wasn't going to fly, timetable is Tjuly 1958, then I have the 1st MJF show catalog '1958, the 2nd 1959 and so on. My Dad and Jimmy were friends. My dad would do most anything for most anybody that would ask. I cannot count the number of benefit concerts I attended growing up where he Paid the band out of his pocket as well as giving of himself. it truly urkes me the way he has been overlooked.

So, I have really taken offense to my dad being omitted from the True 50 year recap, additionally, and secondarily, not even being up for consideration for the American Jazz Hall of Fame. My Dad was a true gentleman, very gracious, and would always give way to others. I however, am not quite as mild-mannered as my Dad and will be openly be letting some of my views be heard to the proper ears with a bit more intensity because I truly feel that his contributions directly, his discovery of " Up and coming artists" etc..

Best Regards-

Rob Tjader

it's 12:45pm here on the west coast- I am delighted to say that I have received a phone call from the American Jazz Hall of Fame. The gentleman I spoke with was Amazed that Dad was not part of the list

He acknowledged all of his contriibutions as well he will be presenting this to the panel for their immediate attention. A victory for the nice guys of the world!

• 4 weeks later...

An aspect less nice is that the label holds all the rights, so the Tjader family won't get any royalties out of that issue, a close friend of theirs has informed me.

It was pointed out to me by a member of the Tjader Family that there must have been a misunderstanding between my source and them - of course they do get royalties, and ask this matter is no longer discussed.

• 3 months later...

Just picked up this album - it's a good one! Tjader is heard in several settings, not exclusively in the Latin vein. Interesting to hear the brief (one chorus) track with John Lewis, don't think I've ever heard him with any vibest but Milt Jackson. Anyway, an enjoyable addition to the Tjader discography, well worth getting.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to hear that things are now looking up.

And welcome to the board, Rob! I can't tell you how many hours of listening pleasure your Dad's records have given me. My favorite track is the version of "The Prophet" from the "Soulbird - Whiffenpoof" album - the one with Richard Davis. Favorite album has to be "Hip Vibrations", which has never been reissued on CD.

Just the other day, I bought some bongos, a cowbell and a temple block, and I got the "Soul Sauce" album out to play along with. It was a natural first selection. Hee, hee, my son's mate, aged 18, was really getting into "Guachi Guara".