Donald Byrd - Kofi

Dmitry

Dmitry,

It has been awhile since I listened to this one, but I remember this too be a good session by Byrd. In fact, IMO it is the last real good session that Byrd did. I love his early stuff and have most of it. I kinda stop when he gets to Blackbyrd and his later fusion stuff.

Kofi is a good one. Well worth it. Not a compilation.

Well worth getting. The "compilation" idea stems from the fact that Kofi is made up of two different but very similar sessions, recorded within a few months of each other. Don't have mine handy, but some of the players are different between the sessions. But the album does hang together quite nicely, and doesn't feel like separate (unrelated) sessions.

Get it, by all means. One of Byrd's very last dates before things changed considerably.

The invisible but not inaudible hand of Duke Pearson is all over this puppy too, in terms of the grooves and the textures.

Honestly, I don't really care for FANCY FREE or ELECTRIC BYRD all that much. Just not much "there" there for me. But KOFI has it to spare. Shoulda been released in it's time, imo.

Donald Byrd tp

William Campbell tb

Lew Tabackin fl,ts

Frank Foster ts

Duke Pearson elp

Ron Carter b

Bob Cranshaw elb

Airto Moreira d

A&R Studio NYC, December 16, 1969

1. Kofi (Byrd)

2. Fufu (Byrd)

Donald Byrd tp

Frank Foster ts

Duke Pearson elp

Ron Carter b

Wally Richardson elg

Mickey Roker d

Airto Moreira, Dom Um Romao perc

A&R Studio NYC, December 4, 1970

3. Perpetual Love (Byrd)

4. Elmina (Byrd)

5. The Loud Minority (Foster)

The 1995 Blue Note CD CDP 7243 8 31875 2 2 was the first issue of this material. Definitely not a compilation, but a vault issue.

The sessions for Fancy Free were held on May 9 and June 6, 1969; those for Electric Byrd on May 15, 1970, right between those that remained unreleased.

I find all three are good, perhaps Kofi just sound fresher in our ears 'cause we listened to the other two pretty often ..... I'd get Kofi, in any case :tup !

BTW, the titles of the first two tracks are Ghanaian expression, Fufu being a typical dish, some kind of stew. I'll ask a friend from Ghana what Kofi means, probably a weekday's name - children are often named after the weekday they were born.

Just thought these Donald Byrd 1969-1970 sessions would make a nice companion Mosaic Select to the Duke Pearson set, Duke had his hands in all the sessions as player AND arranger AND producer, they partly use the same personnel and have a similar vibe to them.

And there is another still unissued Byrd session in the Blue Note vault:

Donald Byrd tp

William Campbell tb

Kenny Rupp frh

Al Gibbons fl

Duke Pearson elp

Wally Richardson elg

Roland Wilson b

Freddie Waits d

unknown vocal on 2. and 3.

July 7, 1969

1. Congo

2. Yano

3. Now wrehe de

:tup

Not a lot to say that others haven't; but this record has a very cool groove which dips into the ilk of "Moon Rappin'" (McDuff) at times, if you're into that.

:rlol

I just played it 2x and I know what you mean.

An unexpected, but welcome winner.

I see what someone meant by the Ron Carter sound, his bass sounds bloated at times, not alive.

The last track, Loud Minority ends kinda abruptly, like it was snipped. :rfr

But wow!

I totally can get into it.

Edited by Dmitry

I really like this cd!

It's reminiscent of In a Silent Way at times, but without being a complete clone. And it's got that groove.

I didn't expect that kind of music at all.

Thanks for making up my mind for me!

Why it wasn't released in its time is a mystery.

In the liner Byrd elaborates on unwillingness of the Blue Note heads to release his recordings[in the 60s].

Edited by Dmitry

• 1 year later...

Was just listening to Kofi this morning, and thought I'd give this thread a bump. Pretty darn good album. Up above, Sangry mentioned Duke Pearson's fingerprints on this one, and my ears have to agree (even if I can'y clearly put in words why).

Lovin' Frank Foster on tenor, in particular, in this kind of context.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

yea yea yea miles miles miles. but db was pioneering fusion too.(and duke pearson too) oh hell yes he was. anyone who has his cd KOFI knows this

I can appreciate their historical significance so to speak but other than that I can leave them out of the rotation.

That is what I was refering to. I think there were a number of players moving into fusion at about the same time. Check out the new Bobby Hutcherson Conn. Some seemed to make the shift a lttle more seamlessly than others!