Barry Harris

relyles

I have been a huge fan of Barry Harris for about 50 years. I have all of his recordings as leader and probably almost all as a sideman. With rare exceptions, all of his recordings are great favorites of mine. You won't go wrong grabbing any you are able to find.

I don't know why but I was looking at getting some more of Harris's work as leader recently, I only have "Newer Than New", but I started looking at some of his sideman dates, he was on quite a few classics, major and minor, throughout the years. Here's a few, as like me, you probably have more Harris in your collection that you think.

most urgent addition i'd make to this list is johnny griffin's kerry dancers... together with eastern sound and jayhawk talk that is my favorite album with harris on it... only have two of his leader albums (newer than new and bull's eye) and played reflections on deezer recently - none of the three convinced me to a similar degree as my favorite harris-sideman appearances...

Edited by Niko

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should try "Preminado" then... migthy fine trio album (I know you don't like trios... )

guess this should belong into my personal thread but i'd take that back, starting from piano/saxophone and piano/trumpet duets i'm slowly developing an interest in piano solo and piano trio records...

i'm slowly developing an interest in piano solo and piano trio records...

Same here and I don't really know why, it's not like I ever hated them, just that I'm finding things in them that I never noticed before, eg Monk in San Fran., always thought it was good but recently it blew my mind for some strange reason, can't believe how good it is.

Back to Barry Harris, I am going after his Xanadu's, by hook or by crook.

the problem, somewhat, is that engineers don't know how to record Barry, IMHO - he has a delicate yet slightly percussive attack. Back in the 1970s I heard him more than any other pianist, at Bradley's, Jimmy, Angry Squire, et al, and to hear him in person was to truly appreciate his very personal adaptation to Monk and Bud - Barry is/was truly one of the last of the great jazz charismatics - the closest I have heard on recordings to what he sounds like on a good night are the Xanadu CD he did with Sonny Criss; also Preminado on Riverside, done on a bad piano -

still nothing matches that night back at the Angry Squire back in 1970-something; I brought Percy France to meet Barry, he was gonna sit in, but Barry was so on Percy didn't want to interrupt -

the other amazing night was ALSO at the Angry Squire, right after Monk's death; nothing but Monk Tunes, amazing amazing -

best story was when Barry came up to New Haven around 1978 and did a concert for me - as we were leaving, who walks up the stairs, having missed the concert - but Bill Evans! His wife was a friend of mind and he had rushed down, but it was over. They embraced, and Barry later told me they used to both use the RIverside practice room - and at Evans' funeral Barry told me that was the last time he saw him -

Barry Harris Plays is a solo recording with the tune Louise (could it be Louise...that spreads disease----Charlie Callas). The Harold Land someone mentioned with Wes is beautiful. Great tunes by Land also. I like Ursula. Nice to hear Wes as sideman. The Live in Tokyo from '76, with Macpherson and Raney is fine, too. Try to get Barry with Leroy Williams. Good rappoire.

You want 'underwater'? Try anything on the defunct Choice Records. A well-intentioned home of many noble projects---and the worst sound in recorded history.

Except perhaps Chesky.........

The Harold Land someone mentioned with Wes is beautiful. Great tunes by Land also. I like Ursula. Nice to hear Wes as sideman. The Live in Tokyo from '76, with Macpherson and Raney is fine, too. Try to get Barry with Leroy Williams. Good rappoire.

Yes it's great, one of those once in a life time All-Star sessions that really works.

the problem, somewhat, is that engineers don't know how to record Barry, IMHO - he has a delicate yet slightly percussive attack. Back in the 1970s I heard him more than any other pianist, at Bradley's, Jimmy, Angry Squire, et al, and to hear him in person was to truly appreciate his very personal adaptation to Monk and Bud - Barry is/was truly one of the last of the great jazz charismatics - the closest I have heard on recordings to what he sounds like on a good night are the Xanadu CD he did with Sonny Criss; also Preminado on Riverside, done on a bad piano -

still nothing matches that night back at the Angry Squire back in 1970-something; I brought Percy France to meet Barry, he was gonna sit in, but Barry was so on Percy didn't want to interrupt -

the other amazing night was ALSO at the Angry Squire, right after Monk's death; nothing but Monk Tunes, amazing amazing -

best story was when Barry came up to New Haven around 1978 and did a concert for me - as we were leaving, who walks up the stairs, having missed the concert - but Bill Evans! His wife was a friend of mind and he had rushed down, but it was over. They embraced, and Barry later told me they used to both use the RIverside practice room - and at Evans' funeral Barry told me that was the last time he saw him -

Great story Allen. Thanks for sharing that one!

greg mo

Have the records he made with Sonny Stitt in the 70s been mentioned?

Gambit have done it with this one here

51EW5mYYNcL._SS500_.jpg

I don't know how easy it would be to find the legitimate original issues, at least for a reasonable price,

Check out what they're looking for, 1 new from $153.47. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I second this album. I heard Barry was one of Sonny's favorite sideman.

Have the records he made with Sonny Stitt in the 70s been mentioned?

Gambit have done it with this one here

51EW5mYYNcL._SS500_.jpg

I don't know how easy it would be to find the legitimate original issues, at least for a reasonable price,

Check out what they're looking for, 1 new from $153.47. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I second this album. I heard Barry was one of Sonny's favorite sideman.

Yes it's excellent and welcome to the Forum. I should also mention this one, Dexter Gordon: "Biting the Apple" as another very good Harris sideman date;

f67486xt49y.jpg

It has a great take of "Blue Bossa" amoung other things.

I don't believe that this Barry Harris CD has been mentioned on this thread.

BARRY HARRIS - SOLO - SEPTEMBER 5111

It is one of my very favorite solo piano CDs. It is a European import that I got from

the Cadence list some time ago. Not sure if it is still available. But if you are a fan of

Barry Harris and/or solo jazz piano this is one you need!

• 2 years later...

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8313720

This Jazz Row 3 CD set presents all the quartet recordings made by Sonny Stitt and Barry Harris together from 1975 to 1981, when their last encounter was taped (Stitt died in July 1982).

Included are six complete, rare LPs, “My Buddy -Sonny Stitt Plays For Gene Ammons” (1975), “Blues For Duke” (1975), “Moonlight In Vermont” (1977), “Sonny Stitt In Style” (1981), “Sonny’s Back” (1980), and “Mellow” (1975). Most of these have only been previously issued on CD in Japan.

These albums rekindled Sonny’s association with his old comrade Barry Harris. Two of the best bebop players ever, Stitt and Harris made an exceptionally good team. However, during the peak years of the bebop era, they only recorded together on one occasion: the 1958 quartet album “Burnin’”, issued under Stitt’s name.Features:

Sonny Stitt alto and tenor sax

Barry Harris piano, on all tracks

plus: Sam Jones

Leroy Williams

Billy Higgins

Reggie Workman

Tony Williams

George Duvivier

Jimmy Cobb

Ricky Ford

Richard Davis

Roy Haynes

Jimmy HeathInformation:

Total Time: 217:07 mins. - 40 tracks - Includes 24-page booklet

Tracklisting:

Cd1: Total Time: 71:35

01 You Can Depend On Me 7:13

02 Red Top 4:03

03 Exactly Like You 4:56

04 My Buddy 6:12

05 Confirmation 4:26

06 Blues For Brad And Kolax 7:05

07 C Jam Blues 6:10

08 I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good 8:01

09 Perdido 4:49

10 Blues For Duke 7:03

11 Don't Get Around Much Anymore 3:47

12 Satin Doll 7:45

cd2: Total Time: 75:35

01 West 46th Street 5:33

02 Who Can I Turn To? 4:24

03 Moonlight In Vermont 4:41

04 It Might As Well Be Spring #1 6:47

05 Constellation #1 3:34

06 Blues For Pcm 8:29

07 Western Style 4:46

08 I'll Walk Alone 5:39

09 Just You, Just Me 4:56

10 The Good Life 2:49

11 Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby? 5:02

12 Killing Me Softly With His Song 4:12

13 Eastern Style 3:39

14 Yesterdays 6:18

15 Flight Cap Blues 4:40

cd3: Total Time: 69:57

01 Canadian Sunset 6:00

02 Soon #1 6:16

03 It Might As Well Be Spring #2 3:28

04 Street Of Dreams 4:33

05 Soon #2 3:41

06 I Should Care 5:45

07 How High The Moon 6:34

08 A Sailboat In The Moonlight 6:46

09 If You Could See Me Now 4:56

10 A Cute One 7:48

11 Sonny's Bounce 4:54

12 Dodge City 4:37

13 Constellation #2 4:36

Edited by flat5

BTW, Flat5, do you know who are the members of the unidentified rhythm section on Stitt's other (IMO exceptional) 1958 Argo album (629), "Sonny Stitt," which was originally issued with the same color photo of Stitt on front and back and no liner notes?

The liner notes to the 1990 MCA CD reissue say that it's "possibly" Harris, William Austin, and Frank Gant, but I'm sure that's not the case. My guess has always been that it's the Ramsey Lewis Trio, which of course was an Argo mainstay. Bassist El Dee Young is quite distinctive, for one.

BTW, Flat5, do you know who are the members of the unidentified rhythm section on Stitt's other (IMO exceptional) 1958 Argo album (629), "Sonny Stitt," which was originally issued with the same color photo of Stitt on front and back and no liner notes?

The liner notes to the 1990 MCA CD reissue say that it's "possibly" Harris, William Austin, and Frank Gant, but I'm sure that's not the case. My guess has always been that it's the Ramsey Lewis Trio, which of course was an Argo mainstay. Bassist El Dee Young is quite distinctive, for one.

The Fresh Sound CD Burnin' also mentions those names (Harris-Austin-Gant) for the Sonny Stitt date, and so does the Bruyninckx discography; however, the latter notes that "Barry Harris is said not to be present at the above session, so probably the other musicians are also uncertain."

Here are some (there are many others too) of the sessions not previously mentioned that have Barry Harris as a sideman that I like very much.

I have given the labels on my CDs.Some were originally on LP on other labels.

Dave Pike Quartet - It's Time For Pike - Riverside

Sal Nistico - Heavyweights - Milestone

Charles McPherson - Con Alma - Prestige

Illinois Jacquet - Bottoms Up - Prestige

Jimmy Heath - Picture Of Heath - Prevue

Howard McGhee - Jazz Brothers - Storyville

Howard McGhee - Home Run - Storyville

Clifford Jordan - Repitition - Soul Note

Buck Hill - Capital Hill - Muse

Buck Hill - Tyhe Buck Stops here - Muse

Ralph Lalama 0 Feelin' And Dealin' - Criss cross

Steve Grossman - Do It - Dreyfus