ECM reissues Bennie Maupin & Dewey Redman

Guy Berger

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news!

Was the very first release in the ECM catalogue by Mal Waldron?

Yup -- Free at Last. I think this one is in-print, at least in Europe.

Guy

And it's well worth picking up, as is all of the Waldron stuff from that period (all of his stuff from any period, actually).

• 5 weeks later...

I got "The Struggle Continues" when it came out, and during my post-vinyl years I've at times been close to buying a turntable just to be able to listen to it again. A real classic. Dewey, Charles Eubanks on piano (cousin of Robin and Kevin--a real talent, wonder what happened to him), Mark Helias and Ed Blackwell. (In fact I saw the band in concert at the Village Gate, but with John Betsch instead of Blackwell. I don't have anything against Betsch, but I would have loved Blackwell to be there instead!)

I'll be picking up both of these.

Edited by Tom Storer

Charles Eubanks on piano (cousin of Robin and Kevin--a real talent, wonder what happened to him)

He recorded for CIMP in 2001 ("New Beginnings") and 2003 ("Birds of Bagdad"). I have the first one, a nice record. In the liner notes, Charles explains that his absence from the scene has been fueled by "personal problems". I read somewhere that the CD was nominated by the Jazz Journalists Association as the best Jazz debut of 2002 (Eubanks was born in 1948...).

So he is related to all the other Eubankses. I know that Kevin, Robin and Duane are brothers, and that there was another Eubanks, the late bassist David). The first three are Ray Bryant's nephews.

Edited by Eloe Omoe

..... Charles Eubanks on piano (cousin of Robin and Kevin--a real talent, wonder what happened to him)

Here's a review of his solo LP - the link to his website produces "under construction" ... :(

Charles Eubanks on C.I.M.P.

From Artist Outreach Network:

He will be earning his BS in Music from Lehman College in 2005, and plans to teach music in some capacity, as well as continuing to develop his music. He takes private students, presently.
Edited by mikeweil

So he is related to all the other Eubankses. I know that Kevin, Robin and Duane are brothers, and that there was another Eubanks, the late bassist David). The first three are Ray Bryant's nephews.

As I recall, David Eubanks was also a cousin of Kevin, Robin and Duane. Drowned while swimming off shore someplace in the late 80's, I think, cutting short a promising career.

• 3 weeks later...