Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guardian's reporting that Ramos (my favourite player, as you probably remember from upthread :rolleyes:) and other team members were arguing for Lopetegui so one wonders what that will do to team morale. Looks very much like the Federation couldn't take the public undermining which I can understand - they were evidently informed of his appointment five minutes before Real's announcement.

Elite club football's long had more clout than international and when the club's Real Madrid well...

16 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Guardian's reporting that Ramos (my favourite player, as you probably remember from upthread :rolleyes:) and other team members were arguing for Lopetegui so one wonders what that will do to team morale. Looks very much like the Federation couldn't take the public undermining which I can understand - they were evidently informed of his appointment five minutes before Real's announcement.

Elite club football's long had more clout than international and when the club's Real Madrid well...

Can`t believe Real could not wait with the announcement for the time after the World Cup .... or did they feel at risk - in case Spain shouldn`t be successful in Russia - this could put a cloud on their new hiring .... ?

Edited by soulpope

25 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Can`t believe Real could not wait with the announcement for the time after the World Cup .... or did they feel at risk - in case Spain shouldn`t be successful in Russia - this could put a cloud on their new hiring .... ?

You might have hit the nail on the head here. 

Frankly, I don't see why the Spanish Federation got all upset.  Did they have a right to be told? Not really. To me, it's a question of vanity on the part of the Federation. They have now put the team's chances at risk. Moreover, if you read the following story, their statements don't make sense. 

Spain Fires Coach

Edited by Brad

Maybe not a right but a reasonable expectation, I think.

Just imagine if the reverse had happened to Real a day before the Kiev final. Real would have been spitting feathers at the undermining of their preparations and rightly so. Whether the Federation overreacted will probably best be assessed when we see how far Spain progress

Why couldn't the management at Real wait till the end of WC, you ask? My answer is this - let's say Spain bombs under Lopetegui, and then Real announces he's their new Head Coach! Would that look good for them, to hire a loser coach? I don't think so...

Today's the Day. Russian team is really weak, the keeper is good, the striker's ok, defence is awful. Saudis have a shot!

The Egyptian defense was very disciplined and almost pulled off the tie. They are going to need to win their next two matches to go through. Playing Russia will be no easy task and the Russians will probably gamble for a tie since they have a very large goal differential. 

I'm not sure it's that fair to lay the blame solely at one player's feet. Not least because De Gea's mistake was a lot greater than anyone elses

21 minutes ago, Brad said:

A disappointing tie. Pique cost them the match.  Looks like both are positioned to pass through. 

Ha! Just realised, that's Pique of Barcelona. I hope you're not letting club allegiance colour your view :)

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I'm not sure it's that fair to lay the blame solely at one player's feet. Not least because De Gea's mistake was a lot greater than anyone elses

Ha! Just realised, that's Pique of Barcelona. I hope you're not letting club allegiance colour your view :)

As a neutral I thought it was as good an advert for World Cup football that could ever be wished for. Spain were sensational and would have deserved victory until that free kick. Ronaldo is unbelievable. 

3 minutes ago, Clunky said:

As a neutral I thought it was as good an advert for World Cup football that could ever be wished for. Spain were sensational and would have deserved victory until that free kick. Ronaldo is unbelievable. 

This I agree with. If you weren’t rooting for either team, you saw a sensational match, with a little of everything. 

Tomorrow is an early day in the States. France Australia starts at 5am.  Not sure I will make that, though. 

It would have graced any stage of the competition. To watch the quality of the likes of Iniesta, Isco and Silva is just a pure pleasure. And Ronaldo is just a force of nature. It's what the WC should be all about

Looking forward to Monday now when the Three Lions will show the world how to really play the game...

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

This I agree with. If you weren’t rooting for either team, you saw a sensational match, with a little of everything. 

Tomorrow is an early day in the States. France Australia starts at 5am.  Not sure I will make that, though. 

Can't say I blame you. THE French squad is ridiculously strong but we'll have to see if Deschamps can forge a team from it. If he does they could go a long way. I

Here's my summary of this historic match:

SPAIN 3 - RONALDO 3

This will be viewed as one of the great bouts in the history of the game. He just cemented his "Best player ever" plaque...the narcissistic bastard.

Edited by Dmitry