Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

12 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I'm getting more and more frustrated with the Video Assist Referee [VAR] feature . For instance, why the hell did the ref need a VAR yesterday when Ronaldo was taken down on the edge of the penaly box?! As a ref, If you  are not watching the player with the ball in the penalty box, what the hell are you doing on the pitch?! This VAR just sucks the joy out of the game. I hope they get rid of it after the WC.

My $.02

What about yesterday`s equalizer by Spain where the corner kick was excuted from right although the referee evidently decided for a left side corner (and all Morocco defenders preparing/moving in that direction) .... no VAR needed ?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, soulpope said:

What about yesterday`s equalizer by Spain where the corner kick was excuted from right although the referee evidently decided for a left side corner (and all Morocco defenders preparing/moving in that direction) .... no VAR needed ?

I'm sorry, but as a player, if you don't see from which corner the ball is coming... you got a problem. 

Goal line tech is all the technological help the game needs. Leave the rest to the referee and assistants.  Imho. 

Why? If technology can help get decisions correct, why not use it. Aspa's goal was clearly not offside and they got it right. C'mon, Dmitry join the modern age :D

Marca ran a fan poll today (in which I voted) and some of the results are interesting: a different starting lineup is needed, the goalie needs to be replaced, only 56% think they will beat Russia, Isco received the best rating and the others (for the most part received a C (aprobado or passing), while de Gea received a D.  This is not a team that is going to beat you with a lot of goals; it was that way in 2010 and it seems that way now. However, the defense really needs to improve for that to work. 

19 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I'm sorry, but as a player, if you don't see from which corner the ball is coming... you got a problem. 

Goal line tech is all the technological help the game needs. Leave the rest to the referee and assistants.  Imho. 

The referee's arm was directed to left - easily to be witnessed via slomo - and in the meantime the Spanish gave it a very quick try and execute from right where not a single Morocco defender can be found .... so in this case the only problem was .... the referee ....

IF the VAR worked, Otamendi would've gotten a red for kicking the ball at Rakitic's head, and one of Pique's yesterday's two handballs would've been a penalty.

Also, intentional elbowing is a red, not a yellow. The ref used the VAR on Ronaldo, but didn't have the balls to redcard him. Although imho there was nothing there, not even a foul on his part. 

If they decide to keep the VAR, only the referee should decide to consult it if they want to, not a person in a booth making decisions for the ref. And limit the VAR to,say, 2 occasions per game. AND the communication between the ref and the booth people should be broadcast to all. 

Edited by Dmitry

I could be wrong but I think the ref has the ultimate decision, with the refs in the booth helping him. It seems closer to the NFL system than baseball. I agree about limiting it but that assumes, the coaches are the ones requesting it, not the booth.  I'm not completely clear on this point but I think it's the ref that initiates review. 

My understanding is that the review can be initiated by both the on-field ref and the VAR ref. The VAR ref can advise the on-field ref that they have missed something (hence the uproar here about the rugby tackles on Kane in the Tunisia game) or the on-field ref can request assistance/confirmation or a viewing from VAR.

Whichever way it's going to take some getting used to and won't remove controversies just move them down the decision line a bit. Most UK ex-player pundits are generally positive about the development. I'm undecided as yet

Dnitry, I was unsure about who made the call and to be honest, I didn’t care who made the call. I’m just happy it was made. 

Any new system takes a bit getting used to and perhaps adjustments will be made in the future. Does anyone know if VAR will be used in the leagues come this fall?

19 minutes ago, mandrill said:

France-Denmark- what a disgrace! Hope both will be eliminated in the round of 16.

Just listened to a discussion panel of experts on this match on French radio (my radio in the garage is always tuned to Europe 1 for background entertainment and distraction - and keeping up with the language too - when I work on one of my collectible cars - my other collecting hobby ;)). Though I only listened with maybe half or two thirds of an ear ;), the key points in the experts' views (incuding Guy Roux, a legend among French coaches) were that apart from the fact that the Danish team appeared to be very "solid" (meaning, from the way they stressed it, that they were very ... eh ... broad-shouldered compared to the Latin-type team of French players ;)), the French team lacked a real team effort, as if the motivation of the individual players, many of whom earn top star salaries in their league teams, wasn't quite what it ought to have been in the national team. Dembelé, for example, was singled out, and one commented that given the huge millions he earned from his transfer to Barcelona one would have been entitled to see a bit more action from him in this, the national team. Another one commented that the match may have been all about tactics, with France specifically playing for a draw so as not to risk losing the match and ending up in a group they do not quite want to be in.

So that's a bit of what they think in their home country ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Despite his mishap, Rudy's had his share of leg pulling (again ;) ... ) in the media here:

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/rudy-wm-maske-1.4030305

For those who don't understand German:

(subtitle:) "Sebstian Rudy is looking forward to his protective face armor. Not just because of his broken nose .... "

Pic 1: Mail for little Rudy: "Hey Rudy, your face mask has arrived!" (Rudy: "At last ...")

Pic 2: "Cool! Such a gleaming, black nose armor sure will make me look much more martial and intimidating ...!"

Pic 3: (No words needed ... :g)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

2 hours ago, mandrill said:

France-Denmark- what a disgrace! Hope both will be eliminated in the round of 16.

2 hours ago, mandrill said:

That's when Les Bleus are reallyy supposed to start the competition.

Hopefully we will see more of. Griezmann who so far has appeared more on TV ads than on the field!