Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

With reference to Steve's comments, with Peru beating Australia, they probably decided to take it easy.  Shades of 82.

Dmitry, I'd like to but my dislike is too pronounced to see the matter objectively.  Even if they beat France, they won't make past it the quarters.

With reference to Steve's comments, with Peru beating Australia, they probably decided to take it easy.  Shades of 82.

Dmitry, I'd like to but my dislike is too pronounced to see the matter objectively.  Even if they beat France, they won't make past it the quarters.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking at today's matches, I'm hoping that Mexico wins their group and Brasil comes in second so that Spain, if it wins, doesn't have to face Germany or Brasil in their side of the bracket, not that we couldn't beat them, but it would make thing, on the surface, to be easier. Of course, as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for. 

Spain is playing Russia on Sunday. We're going to watch this game in Madrid. How cool is that?!
My son is going to the Real Madrid summer training camp for two weeks, and we're dropping him off at the Santiago Bernabeu Sunday afternoon.

I think today, pound for pound, is going to be the best game day overall. It's do or die for most of these teams. I will obstain from making predictions.

Edited by Dmitry

That is very cool.  I haven't been in Spain in a very long time.  I wish I was there with you. I assume -- or hope -- you will be rooting for La Selección on Sunday.  Years ago, when I lived in Madrid, I went to Copa del Rey final at the Bernabéu, which was a 15 minute walk from our apartment.  Back then it was called the Copa del Generalísimo and I believe Franco was at the match.  I think Barcelona won the match.  History repeats itself. By the way, have you read Sid Lowe's book about Real and Barcelona and Spanish politics.  It's tremendous.

Yes, today should be great.  A couple of people I know, who are not football fans, were complaining about the French Denmark match.  I told them that an air of desperation was missing from that match and they should watch today. I will have my tv tuned to one channel and my iPad on mute so I can watch the other match. 

17 minutes ago, Brad said:

That is very cool.  I haven't been in Spain in a very long time.  I wish I was there with you. I assume -- or hope -- you will be rooting for La Selección on Sunday.  Years ago, when I lived in Madrid, I went to Copa del Rey final at the Bernabéu, which was a 15 minute walk from our apartment.  Back then it was called the Copa del Generalísimo and I believe Franco was at the match.  I think Barcelona won the match.  History repeats itself. By the way, have you read Sid Lowe's book about Real and Barcelona and Spanish politics.  It's tremendous.

Yes, today should be great.  A couple of people I know, who are not football fans, were complaining about the French Denmark match.  I told them that an air of desperation was missing from that match and they should watch today. I will have my tv tuned to one channel and my iPad on mute so I can watch the other match. 

That's phenomenal ! These days you couldn't get a ticket for the El Clasico, unless you are a full member of either club, which, in case of Barcelona, is nearly impossible, unless you marry into the member's family, and for Real, can take several years.

I just ordered the Sid Lowe book, it'll wait for me when we get back from our trip. Thanks for the recommendation.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:07 PM, Dmitry said:

I

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

Spain is playing Russia on Sunday. We're going to watch this game in Madrid. How cool is that?!
My son is going to the Real Madrid summer training camp for two weeks, and we're dropping him off at the Santiago Bernabeu Sunday afternoon.

I think today, pound for pound, is going to be the best game day overall. It's do or die for most of these teams. I will obstain from making predictions.

I was watching Portugal- Spain game in the main public square of Lisbon (Praca do Commercio). The vibe there was unbelievable, very positive, even when Spain took the lead.

With Sweden looking on a pace to win, Germany looks to be in deep you know what. However, if Germany scores, Mexico is out. As they say in Spanish, que lío. What a mess. 

Mexico is getting their asses kicked. 

Edited by Brad

1 hour ago, Brad said:

With Sweden looking on a pace to win, Germany looks to be in deep you know what. However, if Germany scores, Mexico is out. As they say in Spanish, que lío. What a mess. 

Mexico is getting their asses kicked. 

Say it in full: "Jo...! Que lío!" :D

Well, nobody can say this is a championship for the faint-hearted ...

I guess everybody over here who's halfway objective will have to say the German team had it coming to them. They just did not get their act together. My family watched while I was tinkering away intn he garage, and the way they just told me, sometime during the first half the speaker on German TV told the spectators "Make no mistake, you are watching the match in real time, this is NOT a slow-motion replay!" Isn't that telling?

Edited by Big Beat Steve

50 minutes ago, erwbol said:

Too bad Koreans had no chance to advance. But Mexico owes them A LOT. Didn't see that game but looks like Sweden just torn them apart...yet they're still marching on...Probably not far with a game like that.

Edited by mandrill

Germany finally has to accept they need to rebuild .... no tested star players on this squad anymore and as collective the team doesn`t have high ceiling .... so at the end the result mirrors the (tough) realtiy of German soccer as of today ....

Edited by soulpope

1 minute ago, mjazzg said:

A really enjoyable afternoon's football. Germany did look bereft of ideas but with players of the quality of Brandt, Kimmich and Kroos they'll be back. 

I’m not sure I wholeheartedly agree about being bereft of ideas. We have to credit the SK defense, especially the goalie. He was all over the place. I wonder how many saves he made. 

18 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

A really enjoyable afternoon's football. Germany did look bereft of ideas but with players of the quality of Brandt, Kimmich and Kroos they'll be back. 

I was 100% sure of the German victory, so I was watching the Mexico-Sweden gamre, and only switched in the last 20 minutes, when it was all over for Mexico at 0:2. I wouldn't call Germans bereft of anything other than luck. They took at least 10-15 shots on goal in those last 20 minutes, just couldn't  put it in the net. 

So, premature ejaculation for Germany. Thank you, Mr.Korean goalkeeper, and Herr Hummels!

Mexico is very-very luck to progress. Swedes showed everyone how to effectively neutralize them. 

Has Löw resigned yet?

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

I wouldn't call Germans bereft of anything other than luck

I don't know. They ended up relying on crosses to Hummels to miss more than anything else. A team of that calibre should have been able to unpick the stubborn defence but there was little craft (the English disease) - Mueller and Ozil were anonymous, Gomez surplus apparently to requirements. I could only see Kroos and Kimmich really trying something imaginative and Brandt when he came on (why doesn't he start?). SK defended well and the goalkeeper was great.

The Germans didn't lack luck as much as accuracy

1 hour ago, mandrill said:

Btw, the first goal by Koreans is a good pro argument for VAR.

Definitely