Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

I think Mr Lowe is striving a bit too hard to make his point here. I suspect, as does his final paragraph or two, that we're just waiting for the big two to get into their stride and maybe a couple of others, Sevilla and  Atlético being the usual suspects.  But it's got to be fun when and if it lasts. Football is about competition after all and the longer any league remains competitive is better all round.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A reality check for Spain as they fell convincingly to England. Reading the Spanish press, they are harkening back to what happened in Russia. 

Also, what is happening to Germany? They could be relegated in the Nations League. They still seem to be in a funk. 

15 hours ago, Brad said:

Also, what is happening to Germany? They could be relegated in the Nations League. They still seem to be in a funk. 

They improved a bit, but IMO Löw is too conservative and reluctant in his approach. He should have opted for more younger energetic players before the World Championship. After being the champion, things are bound to be less glorious. He wanted to play it safe when taking chances would have been the better option.

Same in the German national league with the Bavarians. Their funk just begun, so he should not have elected so many players from their team. With those young fast players, you need more than experience. Any small mistake is taken advantage of.

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 weeks later...

Roberto Martinez???!!!  They should ask some Everton fans first.  I realise he reached 3rd place at the WC but either you or I could have done the same with that talent pool.  

They should know if Solari's really up to the job as an 'in house' known quantity. Seems odd to go to Conte first, hardly a ringing endorsement for Santiago if they end up with him.  The Conte complications seem to be about his legal battle with Chelsea, again according to the Guardian.

3 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Roberto Martinez???!!!  They should ask some Everton fans first.  I realise he reached 3rd place at the WC but either you or I could have done the same with that talent pool.  

They should know if Solari's really up to the job as an 'in house' known quantity. Seems odd to go to Conte first, hardly a ringing endorsement for Santiago if they end up with him.  The Conte complications seem to be about his legal battle with Chelsea, again according to the Guardian.

I totally agree with you, mjazzg. Roberto Martínez is a bluff and Solari would need more experience to steer a boat adrift like RM.

I also have certain reservations with Conte. His Chelsea simply played awful football and was one of the most defensive teams ever.

Conte declined the position so they’re turning to Solari. Conte feared that he wouldn’t be well received by the players. I lay all of this mess at the hands of Perez, the team president. He screwed up the national team on the eve of the World Cup and now he’s screwed RM. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Are you watching the El Clasico?

It's a damn bloodbath.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:49 AM, Brad said:

I love Lowe as a writer and, for me, he is the expert on Spanish football.  I mentioned this earlier but I highly recommend his book about Barcelona and Real Madrid, Fear and Loathing in La Liga.  Not just a sports book but sports and politics intersecting.  

I did buy the book, thanks for the recommendation. It's on my nightstand.

4 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Are you watching the El Clasico?

It's a damn bloodbath.

I did buy the book, thanks for the recommendation. It's on my nightstand.

Unfortunately, we don’t get beinsports any more so no La Liga for me this year :(

Edited by Brad