Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Good and efficient performance by England throughout the team.  Another clean sheet, strong defensively. Sterling deserves all the plaudits tonight. Now they need to make the most of the kind draw.

And I agree about Pickford.

Edited by mjazzg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 26.6.2021 at 4:19 AM, Dmitry said:

Ukraine lost two matches, barely won against North Macedonia, still made it to the 1/8, and will be facing Sweden. Talk about being lucky…

... and now they beat the Swedes with a last minute goal.

Edited by mikeweil

9 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Hands up all those who are so ancient that they can remember seeing the last competition win by an England side against this particular national team/nemesis in 1966.. :rolleyes::)

2 hours ago, Brad said:

:tup

I remember the movie (documentary) about it. Paid to see it in a theater. 

43 minutes ago, medjuck said:

I remember the movie (documentary) about it. Paid to see it in a theater. 

It’s the first football game I remember seeing when we lived in Barcelona although I probably  I saw football when we lived in Uruguay and São Paulo in the late 50s and early 60s. 

Interesting statistic, tracing the teams who made it from the Group Stage into the 1/4-finals.

100% В - Belgium, Denmark. 2/2.
66 % А- Italy, Switzerland. 2/3.
66 % D- England, Czech Republic. 2/3.
50% Е - Spain. 1/2.
33 % С - Ukraine. 1/3.
0 % F - 0/3.

The objectively strongest group F - France, Germany, Portugal, is decimated. 

45 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

His safety-first conservatism is an issue but so far it's worked.  Against better teams it may become a bigger issue.

I'm just talking friendly trash, I hope you aren't taking it to heart. I was so hopeful England would show us the fast and dynamic football this squad is born to play - Shaw, Walker, Phillips, Mount, Foden, Grealish, Kane, but this hasn't been the case yet.

24 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Interesting statistic, tracing the teams who made it from the Group Stage into the 1/4-finals.

100% В - Belgium, Denmark. 2/2.
66 % А- Italy, Switzerland. 2/3.
66 % D- England, Czech Republic. 2/3.
50% Е - Spain. 1/2.
33 % С - Ukraine. 1/3.
0 % F - 0/3.

The objectively strongest group F - France, Germany, Portugal, is decimated. 

I'm just talking friendly trash, I hope you aren't taking it to heart. I was so hopeful England would show us the fast and dynamic football this squad is born to play - Shaw, Walker, Phillips, Mount, Foden, Grealish, Kane, but this hasn't been the case yet.

no, not taking it to heart at all, it's not that important. I'm not sure we'll see too much dynamism under Southgate but I can forgive him that if we keep winning but when we lose to Ukraine and haven't unleashed our creative players then he's in trouble :)

The hype over here today is ridiculous, you'd think we'd got to the final by beating Germany not the quarter-final

Edited by mjazzg

22 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Also, Pickford is one of the best keepers I've ever seen on the goal line.  I'm just referring to his awesome saves on the line, not him being an amazing universal keeper overall.

He's also a butcher who should have gotten a deep red card and a lengthy ban for what he did to Virgil van Dijk last season.

12 minutes ago, erwbol said:

He's also a butcher who should have gotten a deep red card and a lengthy ban for what he did to Virgil van Dijk last season.

Wasn't his finest moment and was definitely a red card tackle but butcher is taking it a bit far. It wasn't a Harald Schumacher on Batiston.or even a De Jong on Alonso.

That aside, he always plays well in an England shirt.

Today, in his annual call-in with the serfs, Putin has voiced his dissatisfaction with the performance of his hockey and football teams. Rest assured, changes will be made. The serfs are rejoicing. 

I must add that the Stalin-lookalike coach of the Russian national soccer team makes 2,500,000 Euros per year. That is way more than an average Russian serf makes these days, even though the playing field is leveling for the serfs.

15290102021761.jpg

Magnificent match between Italy and Belgium. Italy have been my team of the tournament, they can pass the opposition to death. However, their tactical innovation is based largely on Spinnazola, my player of the tournament so far. Such a shame to see him so badly injured. His absence could make a big difference.

A good match. Spain was surprisingly-good in the second half. I was not sure who’d win until the very end. 
Italians were not prepared for such a good game from the Spanish, but their discipline was strong. Good luck to them!

Also, if you have not been watching the Copa America, you’ve missed out on a lot. The elimination matches were amazing. Tonight’s Argentina-Colombia was more intense than most of the Euros. Messi finally scored a penalty that mattered!

Saturday is the final - Brazil-Argentina at Maracana!!!

Edited by Dmitry

Great match from a neutral's point of view.  Some great play, especially by the Spanish but both sides lack a proven goalscorer  (neither Morata nor Immobile score enough from the chances presented them) which would take them to the next level.  Italy have been my team of the tournament so I was pleased to see them prevail.

Copa America is on in the middle of the night so not likely to see it.  

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Great match from a neutral's point of view.  Some great play, especially by the Spanish but both sides lack a proven goalscorer  (neither Morata nor Immobile score enough from the chances presented them) which would take them to the next level.  Italy have been my team of the tournament so I was pleased to see them prevail.

Copa America is on in the middle of the night so not likely to see it.  

Spain lack a finisher like Kane or Ronaldo. Obviously you can’t invent them out of thin air.  Perhaps over time Morata will become that. Some of the players who advanced to the semis of the Under 21 Championship were on this team so it gives you plenty of hope for the future.

I’ve seen a little bit of the Copa America but it seems sterile compared to the Euros and no crowds only reinforces that impression.