Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

7 minutes ago, soulpope said:

But I don`t believe the referee did hinder Colombia to play more success-oriented ..... aka first goal shot on goal in minute 47 (still first half) ....

True...but how many times did England get one on target either? Their clearest advantage was with corners, but Colombians headed those well away, surprisingly. Good game, warts and all. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

True...but how many times did England get one on target either? Their clearest advantage was with corners, but Colombians headed those well away, surprisingly. Good game, warts and all. 

Likely they missed James Rodriguez a lot - but in this case it says a lot if a team performance depends on one individual player ....

2 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Likely they missed James Rodriguez a lot - but in this case it says a lot if a team performance depends on one individual player ....

I’m sorry but that just isn’t true. James is a great player, but only has 2 assists in 3 games in this WC.  

Now imagine where England would be now without Kane. He won all their games for them, and has 6 goals. They only have 2 other goal-scorers beside him, both in the 6:1 Panama match. Talk of one player team...

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

Interesting refereeing in the E-C match yesterday. 6 yellows to Colombia, 2 to England. 3/4 if all whistles against Colombia,  soft penalty call, referee who only spoke English...I’m just sayin’. 

How do you know the ref wasn't a Spanish speaker, just sayin'

Also, the ref didn't ask the Colombians to take the overly-physical approach that they chose. that card ratio fairly reflects the level of foul play chosen by each side, I'd say

46 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

I’m sorry but that just isn’t true. James is a great player, but only has 2 assists in 3 games in this WC.  

Now imagine where England would be now without Kane. He won all their games for them, and has 6 goals. They only have 2 other goal-scorers beside him, both in the 6:1 Panama match. Talk of one player team...

This may be true about England's reliance on Kane but using his current goal tally as an indicator isn't really an accurate analysis as four of his six have been penalties which may well have been scored by another taker in his absence. Also, until England play their preferred XI sans Kane we'll not know whether Rashford or Vardy are sufficient replacements. They may well be but I'm happy not to find out just yet

England are limited. Any team that shuts down the wide supply and avoids giving away free kicks close to the box will seriously reduce the threat. England's big failing so far isn't over reliance on Kane it's having only created a handful of chances, and one goal, from open play. Having said that Sweden's approach may well suit us.

We're in the QF, other better teams aren't, and no-one can take that way

Edited by mjazzg

Pékerman, I believe, and Falcao said that the ref didn’t entiende espanol. At this level I'd imagine they could find a ref who could. No matter, ahora se abrigo.

Kane is one hell of a player. Without him England hasn't got a prayer.

Anyone else notice , didn't the same Colombian player cause both of their penalties? I think it was the same guy.

Edited by Dmitry

4 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Interesting refereeing in the E-C match yesterday. 6 yellows to Colombia, 2 to England. 3/4 if all whistles against Colombia,  soft penalty call, referee who only spoke English...I’m just sayin’. 

Someone who understands. Having a ref who was American and spoke English and English only gave the English an unfair advantage, not to mention he did a terrible job. 

The only goal in this match was scored by Colombia ^_^

As for James, he isn’t the player he was several years ago. Why do you think Real Madrid sent him to Germany?

Edited by Brad

3 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I believe it says something about a team which misses a player who priot to this the game was not a absolute force ....

14 minutes ago, soulpope said:

I believe it says something about a team which misses a player who priot to this the game was not a absolute force ....

I think the point is that they didn't miss him greatly; he's not the James of 2014.  It's not like Portugal missing Ronaldo or Uruguay missing Cavani, which appears a possibility; he missed training yesterday.  

14 minutes ago, soulpope said:

I think the point is that they didn't miss him greatly; he's not the James of 2014.  It's not like Portugal missing Ronaldo or Uruguay missing Cavani, which appears a possibility; he missed training yesterday.  

45 minutes ago, Brad said:

not to mention he did a terrible job. 

too true, he should have sent off the Colombian for the headbutt on Henderson. He then allowed Colombian players to spend 4 minutes (!) protesting against his penalty decision before allowing the penalty to be taken.

Other than that I thought he ref'd in a manner that responded well to the Colombian tactic of physical intimidation, once again, I'd cite the completely unnecessary barge on Sterling by a member of the coaching staff as he lift the pitch at half-time as indicative that this was a predetermined tactic sanctioned by the coach and his staff.

Yes, the ref missed a couple of retaliations but these were a direct result of intimidation so the fact they were missed was poetic justice of some sort

I also think the issue of the ref not speaking Spanish is a red herring. How many of the games up to now have been ref'd by someone bilingual in the languages of the competitors do you think? Indeed if he had spoken Spanish he may have een able to explain to the Colombians that their intimidatory tactics were not acceptable. Conversely if he understood Spanish we may have seen a couple more Colombian cardsfor what was being said to him in their petulant displays of protest - maybe it was better for them he didn't fully understand:rolleyes:

Again, letting your biases show.  The English player was hit in the chest primarily and only incidentally did his his head hit the English player.  It was a terrible call. 

To you it may be a red herring but it gave them a distinct advantage.  I'd wager that most refs in these matches don't know the language of either team and he uses his hand signals to make his point. The English were able to sell their points to him and the Colombians didn't have the same advantage. 

By the way, I'm still waiting for England to score a goal ;) The only one I saw scored was from Colombia. 

Anyway, at the end of the day, the result won't change and England will count itself as lucky and the Colombians will rue the opportunity they let slip through their fingers. 

56 minutes ago, Brad said:

I don`t want to question your expertise (well who am I) but to state that the participation of individual player (in this case James Rodriguez) would have not enhanced the chance for a (decisive) moment of magic is remarkable  ....

So it's now OK to headbutt your opponent in the chest and only accidentally move your head up from that chest to happen upon their chin? Funny as most people's chins overhang their chest I find and any upward movement from the chest will find their face

I've stated elsewhere on this thread a number of times that England are a limited side and haven't produced chances or goals from open play. It will be their downfall as soon as they face a more creative team. I think the sad aspect of yesterday's game is that Colombia could have been that opponent if they'd concentrated on playing England rather than kicking them. 

16 minutes ago, soulpope said:

I don`t want to question your expertise (well who am I) but to state that the participation of individual player (in this case James Rodriguez) would have not enhanced the chance for a (decisive) moment of magic is remarkable  ....

I'm sure you are more knowledgeable than I am and I agree that it would have been better to have him than not. 

13 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

So it's now OK to headbutt your opponent in the chest and only accidentally move your head up from that chest to happen upon their chin? Funny as most people's chins overhang their chest I find and any upward movement from the chest will find their face

I've stated elsewhere on this thread a number of times that England are a limited side and haven't produced chances or goals from open play. It will be their downfall as soon as they face a more creative team. I think the sad aspect of yesterday's game is that Colombia could have been that opponent if they'd concentrated on playing England rather than kicking them. 

For what it's worth, the following is from The Guardian's Fiver:

"Jordan Henderson even nodded to tradition by botching his penalty in the shootout but before that the dependable midfielder had innovated by collapsing to the ground and appealing for urgent medical assistance after having his chin stroked by Wílmar Barrios: if a Brazilian had done that, we’d be saying ‘stop that, Neymar, you utter git.’"

We are in the middle of a sports smorgasbord, what with the World Cup moving into its decisive phase, Wimbledon taking place and the Tour de France starting Saturday.  I don't fully understand everything about cycling but I do enjoy the spectacle, especially the sprinter stages, not to mention the lovely views of the French countryside. 

39 minutes ago, Brad said:

I

For what it's worth, the following is from The Guardian's Fiver:

"Jordan Henderson even nodded to tradition by botching his penalty in the shootout but before that the dependable midfielder had innovated by collapsing to the ground and appealing for urgent medical assistance after having his chin stroked by Wílmar Barrios: if a Brazilian had done that, we’d be saying ‘stop that, Neymar, you utter git.’"

2Q==thumbs-up.png

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

In all honesty, if you saw this in any PL match, you'd want a red? 

Edited by Dmitry

13 hours ago, Dmitry said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/04/mark-geiger-bias-allegations-colombia-england-radamel-falcao-world-cup

Andrés Cantor Thinks Everything Sounds Better in Spanish

Andrés Cantor calls football games for one of the Spanish networks in the US, Telemundo. His voice is very recognizable and he has been calling World Cup games for forever it seems.  Compared to him, other announcers sound tepid; no emotion.

He thinks games sound better in Spanish and I agree. I listen to most of the games that way.  The interviewer asked him, as follows:

“Q. If soccer sounds better in Spanish, what else sounds better in Spanish?

A. Everything. Life.”

Naturalmente!