Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, brownie said:

Les Bleus have a hard time opposing the dominating Croatians. Hope they survive their current lead. 

Analysts on the Flemish VRT seem to think so, although they are hoping for the Croatians to win.

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

France haven't been allowed to get started yet and still they lead

It's their game plan. Loathsome.

Has France shown up yet? They are being outplayed, out hustled, etc. Were it not for Croatian mistakes, they would be in trouble. 

Come what may, with the quality gap between nations closing, this WC has to encourage smaller nations. The big ones are not as imposing as they used to be. 

I agree about the 15 minutes; they really turned it in and showed their brilliance. After that they seemed to lose their edge. 

La Vanguardia in Barcelona called their victory an “efficient thrashing.”

What a shame this WC is over but all good things must come to an end. 

Congrats, Brownie :party:

Edited by Brad

Yes, all over now. Very enjoyable competition.

Thanks Brad for all your very informed posts through the competition. I've enjoyed this thread (mostly) for its enthusiasm, insights and fair-handedness (mostly).

Now I can go and concentrate on a real summer sport...Test cricket. Anyone fancy a new thread? :D deafening silence ensues

3 hours ago, brownie said:

Glad it's over... It was close.

It's celebration time all over France!

Congrats, brownie.

Well deserved title. No doubt France is currently the best team, by far.

Deschamps was a bit mean in his strategy, though. France played only by gusts... the rest was insurmountable defence.

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Yes, all over now. Very enjoyable competition.

Thanks Brad for all your very informed posts through the competition. I've enjoyed this thread (mostly) for its enthusiasm, insights and fair-handedness (mostly).

Now I can go and concentrate on a real summer sport...Test cricket. Anyone fancy a new thread? :D deafening silence ensues

:tup

It was a lot of fun, watching the matches and discussing them. 

When I lived in Trinidad (when I was 10) I used to play cricket but darned if I can remember anything about it. However, I do know it’s extremely popular, almost as much as football. 

Congratulations to France. They scored two goals and won 4:2. Croats scored 3 goals and lost 2:4. What a superb Croatian team [sans the weak keeper, who lost the WC for them]! This has been a great WC!

Oh, and the bad luck...it does exist.

Also, I disagree with the Golden Ball going to Modric. It belongs to Griezmann. Without a doubt.

I can't agree about the keeper. If it hadn't been for him, they might not have won those shootouts. 

I can't recall seeing this before but I was impressed with the Croatian president congratulating the French (as well as the Croatian) players.  

Maybe you're right about Griezemann but Modric deserved something for the Cup he had. 

Moving on, I see Chelsea has said Hazard is not for sale and Mbappe says he wants to stay at PSG. Madrid could be in real trouble. 

8 hours ago, Brad said:

I can't agree about the keeper. If it hadn't been for him, they might not have won those shootouts. 

I was specific about yesterday. He had a total of three, maybe 4 decent shots on him the whole game. Imho he let them down bigly.   

Maybe the Pogba one. I'm not sure I agree about the others. 

I read this article yesterday,

France, a World Champion that Stood Above It All

Normally, I like his writing but what was he watching? As you pointed out, Croatia handed them two goals, they were unimpressive against Belgium and they played an undermanned Uruguay team. I haven't even mentioned the group stage.  Yesterday, they had a good 15-20 stretch but that was it.  Perhaps if it's 1-1 at half, it's a more interesting match. 

I've read a couple of his football pieces in the Times. I don't like his over the top, little susbtance style, and I don't walk away after reading him, thinking to myself,hmm, why didn't I think of that... I will wager he never played the game himself. At least someone in the NYT is writing about the WC. As we say in Russian, "where there's no fish, a crayfish is a fish".

I do think the Croats played with a lot more style and confidence than the French, but they just weren't lucky yesterday. Plus Vida couldn't keep up with Mbappe. And the keeper didn't step it up, when they relied on him. That Pogba goal...not world class keeping. With the new keeper, Croats are in the final of the UEFA Cup in 2 years. 

The coverage in the Times was pretty good, no complaints. I used to like their former principal writer, Hughes. 

They were definitely unlucky.  When the French want to play, they’re heads above most teams.  2020 might be the last chance for Croatia as Modric and Mandzukic will be around 34-35, not to mention teams like Belgium, Germany, Spain, etc. will be better and France will want to make their mark.  

Edited by Brad