Goooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Anybody watched the Champions League final today ? Although i have little love for both teams, gotta say it was pretty tough not to get excited. A very memorable game that ranks with Sevilla 1982.

Among the numerous highlights, classy header by Ronaldo for the MU goal, the brilliant saves by Cech in the 1st half to keep his team alive. Drogba who does a Zidane and gets ejected, the so numerous chances missed. Ronaldo who outsmarts himself during the shootout.

Ronaldo rejoicing on the ground after the game was decided, the Chelsea player crying in the arms of his head coach.

Basically what this sport is all about, skills, teamwork and emotions !

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw most of the game - the penalty shootout was pretty nerve-racking.

Thought Chelsea had it in the bag when Ronaldo missed but United held their nerve. This game certainly lived up to the hype, for once.

Poignant too that Man U. have won the trophy on the 50 years anniversary of the tragic Munich aircraft disaster and the 'Busby Babes'. The wounds of that disaster, I recall, were still very real 10-15 years after it happened. Sir Alex also reminds me a bit of Sir Matt Busby, the great manager of that time.

Edited by sidewinder

I avoided this thread until today as I taped the game and didn't watch it until yesterday. Have to admit, that was good stuff....though I'm not much on that shootout stuff. I'd rather see more time added to the clock or something. It just doesn't seem fair (same goes for hockey) for two teams to battle all that time so evenly and have the thing decided by what is essentially a completely different game...

I understand your point Jazzmoose, but especially for Futbol they have to resort to that, if both teams decide that they prefer not to allow a goal than to take chances, it can get very long, tedious and awful to watch add it up with tired players on the pitch and you have a recipe for disaster.

If there was no shootout i think the 1994 World Cup Final would still be on.

By the way even in hockey ranks there is word that they will maybe resort to it for the Playoffs in NHL eventually, having a game decided at 3 am in the morning in front of a scarce crowd ain't exactly tv friendly.

Edited by Van Basten II

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Had a quite thrilling evening , last night as i attended in company of more than 55 000 screaming fans a game between my Montreal Impact and Santos Laguna a Mexican team for the first leg of the quarter finals of the Concacaf Champions League. i know that for some of the Mexican team they don't take the competetion thast seriously but for us it's a big deal. For starters we are playing in A league a championshipthat is basically a minor league for the MLs which is not a very strong league itself. To add insult to injury the MLS have rfeused to allow Montreal a franchise asking for a ridiculous fee, around 40 millions.

Guess we have the last laugh as other franchises don't attract these kind of crowd, as for the game that's the best part we won 2-0, which means that our opponents will have to beat us 3-0 in their home or something along that score , we can't be overconfident but we have to be positive and think we can pull another upset and move to the semis.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/a...treal/#more-993

Joe Public was in the same group than our team in the first round. After we beat them 2-0 at home, their manager was quoted saying that our team was rather poor and that they would beat us 4-0 when they'll play us next time , we actually won the away game 4-1 :lol: , Joe Public won 1 game in all and lost 5.

Here's a web site that will allow to know what is going on

http://www.concacaf.com/competitions/champsleague/index.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

Chelsea vs. Liverpool in the Champions League quarterfinal....anyone else getting sick of seeing these two teams play each other in this competition?

The Barcelona/Bayern matchup should be interesting.

Edited by sal

• 2 weeks later...

Mexico fired Sven Goran Eriksson this afternoon after last night's humiliating loss to Honduras. Sven and Mexico weren't a good fit anyways.

Much like Sven and England or, come to think of it, Sven and anyone.

He should just stick to entertaining the Ladies.. :D

Fabio is a better bet for England anyway. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

Mexico fired Sven Goran Eriksson this afternoon after last night's humiliating loss to Honduras. Sven and Mexico weren't a good fit anyways.

Much like Sven and England or, come to think of it, Sven and anyone.

He should just stick to entertaining the Ladies.. :D

Fabio is a better bet for England anyway. :tup

IIRC, he was quite successful with Lazio.

Man United/Porto match was a thriller! Can't wait to see the next leg of this one.

I had higher expectations from Man United.

Hi Bentsy - I think everyone did! Especially at Old Trafford. But watching Porto was something else. They played their hearts out. Fernando was incredible.

Man United/Porto match was a thriller! Can't wait to see the next leg of this one.

I had higher expectations from Man United.

Hi Bentsy - I think everyone did! Especially at Old Trafford. But watching Porto was something else. They played their hearts out. Fernando was incredible.

I agree with you. This evening I'll support Liverpool.