Remember The Osmonds

Well let me admit right here in public that I watched the Donnie & Marie show RELIGIOUSLY when I was kid...she was a little bit country (well...not really...but cute) and he was a little bit rock n roll (well...not even close...). I'm not sure how I was able to recover and lead a semi-normal existence...

many years ago (close to 25, actually), i used to work in a comedy club in boston. at the time, one of the most popular comedians performing in the area was bob (later bobcat) goldthwait. near the end of his act, he would pull out a donny osmond string puppet. among other things, he'd make it hump the floor as he called out: yeah marie, i'll give you puppy love! bobby would saw off the doll's head at the end. i remember driving all around boston with him one afternoon, trying to find more donny puppets for the act. ah, what memories!

puppets.jpg

What about that Little Jimmy and his Liverpudlian ditty. Jeez, I never receovered from hearing that.. :bad:

While at my mother's house this past week, I uncovered a cassette copy of "Killer Joe", which I think is Jimmy Osmond's first album. And yes, it included that UK #1 smash hit, "Long Haired Lover From Liverpool". :P

Killer%20Joe%20-%20Front%20lg.jpg

What bothers me is that it was probably mine. The only thing I can say in my defense is that I'm quite certain it was purchased for me, not BY me. :D

What bothers me is that it was probably mine. The only thing I can say in my defense is that I'm quite certain it was purchased for me, not BY me. :D

That's what they all say.. ;):g

My memories of that 'single' are a bit hazy now but I certainly remember the pudgy troll being on Top Of The Pops on TV surrounded by adoring nymphets - dressed in pseudo-tartan I seem to recall.

Thank you not for reminding me of all this !

• 3 weeks later...

many years ago (close to 25, actually), i used to work in a comedy club in boston. at the time, one of the most popular comedians performing in the area was bob (later bobcat) goldthwait. near the end of his act, he would pull out a donny osmond string puppet. among other things, he'd make it hump the floor as he called out: yeah marie, i'll give you puppy love! bobby would saw off the doll's head at the end.

Somehow though I am hearing this in Sam Kinnison's voice:

YEAH MARIE I'LL GIVE YOU PUPPY LOVE! OH! OOOOOOOOHHH!

:g