Racist lyrics in Mercer set?

I don't know whether I'd call Stafford a jazz singer, but it really doesn't matter. She's a fine singer with a wonderful feeling for a song, and a beautiful understated style that really does a song justice. Aside from the overtly novelty fare that Columbia foisted on her, her recorded output is of a consistently high standard.

She's one of my absolute favorite singers, jazz or otherwise.

I 100% agree with these words. I only put "jazz" in front of her name, because I've noticed constant changes when she deals the melody of a song, and it is real amazing experience! :excited:

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just obtained a Sammy Davis Jr set recorded live at the Sands sometime in the 60s. It was on Reprise. I have to say I'm surprised at how good it is, how much it swings, How well Sammy Davis sang, etc etc. At one point, around the 6th track (iirc) Sammy does a duet with the drummer and goes through a number of tunes - one of which is "Ugly Chile" (Brunis lyrics to "Pretty Doll").

I just obtained a Sammy Davis Jr set recorded live at the Sands sometime in the 60s. It was on Reprise. I have to say I'm surprised at how good it is, how much it swings, How well Sammy Davis sang, etc etc. At one point, around the 6th track (iirc) Sammy does a duet with the drummer and goes through a number of tunes - one of which is "Ugly Chile" (Brunis lyrics to "Pretty Doll").

KILLER album.

Meanwhile the only African-American to post on this topic was offended. Seems like a lot of people want to invalidate his reaction.

I noticed that, too...

A disclaimer and/or explanation would be very helpful things, especially given the fact that lots of Mosaic sets are sold to people in other countries who simply do not have the background (let alone context) to be able to get the subtle and not-so-subtle stuff that's going on in this song, with Mercer performing it, etc. etc. etc.

And what might be perfectly obvious to some who post here is more than likely to be opaque at best to most other people who might encounter this song and others like it.

Edited to add: forgot to check the dates for this thread before I posted - and i have no desire to drag up a discussion that's better left alone...

Edited by seeline