40 years ago today

White Lightning

Alright, seems I was pretty wrong on "Stellar Regions"! I hadn't played it for at lest a couple of years before reading this thread and gave it a spin again and last night - and guess what? I was pretty impressed and found it rather beautiful, too! Thanks for the peer pressure, guys! -_-

Actually that's not true any longer since two later studio sessions have been discovered, including one recorded one month after the Olatunji concert. Here are the unissued studio sessions from 1966-67, taken from Allan J. Sutherland's Coltrane Sessionography.

I checked Allan's sessionography here and the one thing I didn't find was the note about "recently discovered". So I did some checking...

It's not clear who might be in possession of these tapes and what the logistics of a release would ultimately be. I am hopeful but, at this stage, I wouldn't take anything to the bank.

SS...if you care to elaborate or, at least, point me towards the "recently discovered" note on Allan's site...

Actually that's not true any longer since two later studio sessions have been discovered, including one recorded one month after the Olatunji concert. Here are the unissued studio sessions from 1966-67, taken from Allan J. Sutherland's Coltrane Sessionography.

I checked Allan's sessionography here and the one thing I didn't find was the note about "recently discovered". So I did some checking...

It's not clear who might be in possession of these tapes and what the logistics of a release would ultimately be. I am hopeful but, at this stage, I wouldn't take anything to the bank.

SS...if you care to elaborate or, at least, point me towards the "recently discovered" note on Allan's site...

it's on this page:

http://www.kyushu-ns.ac.jp/~allan/Documents/JC_S.HTML

edit: actually, it's right on the page you linked to below the sessions in question (didn't check every single one)

Edited by Niko

I went to Trane's wake...and cried like a baby. I'm still crying...

The funeral director was a close friend of my family. His daughter did the arrangements for my mother. They have both passed...

I keep a ton of Trane on my ipod. From '67 I have "Offering", "Venus", and the "Olatunji" material. I gravitate towards "Ogunde" from the latter. I listen to it when it suits my mood...and when things get tense and Trane is the only thing that cools me out...

One of my playlists is "My Favorite Trane". It starts with "Trinkle Tinkle" and ends with...I think..."Venus".

A luta continua...

What Niko said. It's right there in the sessionography; I didn't add anything (although I corrected a couple of typos).

The sessionography hasn't been updated since January 2003 though, so the discovery isn't so recent anymore.

Since these are Impulse studio sessions and the notes say "rumoured to be released sometime in the future", I assumed when I first read about it that the tapes were in the posession of the Coltrane estate, which has had other tape reels of unissued studio recordings that Coltrane took home. What else? Some collector somehow acquired these sessions and neither Universal nor the Coltrane estate has them? I don't know if that's possible. Weren't there rumours while Alice Coltrane was still alive, that she wanted to trickle unissued Coltrane material out, so we would get one new release a year or so? We just got the Coltrane At Newport thing, so perhaps these studio recordings are in the pipeline in the coming years? But with the record industry implosion, and the staff layoffs at Verve, who knows?

What Niko said. It's right there in the sessionography; I didn't add anything (although I corrected a couple of typos).

The sessionography hasn't been updated since January 2003 though, so the discovery isn't so recent anymore.

Muchas gracias. I was looking at the separate files and the one for 65-67 (is that it?) did not have the note.

Since these are Impulse studio sessions and the notes say "rumoured to be released sometime in the future", I assumed when I first read about it that the tapes were in the posession of the Coltrane estate, which has had other tape reels of unissued studio recordings that Coltrane took home. What else? Some collector somehow acquired these sessions and neither Universal nor the Coltrane estate has them? I don't know if that's possible. Weren't there rumours while Alice Coltrane was still alive, that she wanted to trickle unissued Coltrane material out, so we would get one new release a year or so? We just got the Coltrane At Newport thing, so perhaps these studio recordings are in the pipeline in the coming years? But with the record industry implosion, and the staff layoffs at Verve, who knows?

What you said.

Since the Guernsey's auction, it seems that various members of Coltrane's immediate and extended family have different things. It's not clear who has what...or how much they want for what they have.