the jazz dulcimer

The Hungarian tenor player Mihaly Dresch uses a cimbalom in his quintet. The quintet mixes jazz with folk elements but the cimbalom which is very similar to the dulcimer makes a very attractive sound.

Herbie Mann's very last CD "Eastern European Roots" has cymbalom player Alexander Fedoriouk.

But this is the hammered type:

cimbalom.JPG

But wasn't the initial question for the plucked/strummed type, the real dulcimer? Looks like this:

dulcimer.jpg

This%20man%20playing%20the%20mountain%20dulcimer%20travelled%20from%20Missouri%20for%20the%20festival.jpg

Colin Walcott used one of these on the original recording of "Witchi-Tai-To" on one of Oregon's earliest records, but it wasn't jazz ...

Edited by mikeweil

Yes, that Tyner track - I had that sound in my head but couldn't remember where I heard it.

Since the dulcimer is basically a chordal instrument on a modal basis, it's jazz potential is very limited. You only can strum rhythmic patterns much like a rhythm guitar but not change keys as deliberately.