European Pianists

thomastreichler

Does anyone know this disc? I remember reading a very positive review about it but never came around checking it out, it's by another Italian piano player, Salvatore Bonafede and features quite an interesting band:

8024709776228.jpg

Salvatore Bonafede - Journey To Donnafugata (CAM Jazz)

Recording information: Rome, Italy (05/12/2003 - 05/13/2003).

Personnel: Salvatore Bonafede (piano); Ralph Towner (classical guitar); Enrico Rava (flugelhorn); Ben Street (bass instrument); Clarence Penn (drums); Michele Rabia (percussion).

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider Pieranunzi to be a fine jazz pianist. However, he seems to be , in my opinion, two very different players.

Some of his CDs are very ethereal to the point where I find them rather dull and unswinging. On the other hand, some of his CDs are melodically and harmonically rich and to my ears truly delightful.

I know what you mean here, though the 'ethereal, unswinging' ones tend to be those where he's quite deliberately relating to Italy, like some of his Egea releases. They're only dull if you're listening from the direction of the American jazz tradition...I think he's doing something else here (I think there's a huge misunderstanding in America about much European jazz for that reason...but that's another tale).

There is a third Pieranunzi - I have a couple of group discs with well known others that sound distinctly mainstream. They don't make it back to the CD player often.

Infant Eyes and the Paris set are my favourites.

This chap deserves much more attention. He's done some very free material in the past, but recently recorded these four - two solo, two trio:

414Wk-TPOtL._SL500_AA240_.jpg41PakwcpULL._SL500_AA240_.jpg41wvyin4ccL._SL500_AA240_.jpg51nIgPys5SL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

More in the Jarrett/Mehldau/John Taylor world, though Law writes his own tunes (and they are good ones) rather than focusing on standards.

I play this earlier disc a lot:

fmr38.jpg

You can get an idea of his extensive discography here:

http://www.nday.co.uk/discography.html

He seems to have something of a monastic fixation...both in the ecclesiastical and jazz sense!

No mention so far of Steve Beresford & Howard Riley and from a younger generation, René Bottlang (check his marvellous "Trilongo" on AJMI in trio) and jacques Demierre, another marvellous pianist from Switzerland.

By the way my two absolute favorite european pianist are Irène Schweizer & Alexander von Schlippenbach.

Yes, I know, they are not from the youngest generation but so it is.

An a belgium rec, if you like mainstream: Jef Neve (and also Free Desmyter!).

Edited by P.L.M

• 9 years later...

Rene Urtreger (b.1934) is a world-class player -- Bud Powell-inspired, but he's his own man. A good deal of Urtreger on CD. I particularly like his work with the HUM Trio (Hum for Daniel Humair, Urtreger, and Pierre Michelot. There's a nice concert DVD with them backing Gary Burton in 1980.

14 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Rene Urtreger (b.1934) is a world-class player -- Bud Powell-inspired, but he's his own man. A good deal of Urtreger on CD. I particularly like his work with the HUM Trio (Hum for Daniel Humair, Urtreger, and Pierre Michelot. There's a nice concert DVD with them backing Gary Burton in 1980.

Urtreger.png

This sublime piano solo recital comes highly recommended .... same applies here ... :

Urtreger-II.png

Edited by soulpope

I agree, great trio. 

4 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Eve Risser / Benjamin Duboc / Edward Perraud: En Corps Generation (Dark Tree CD)

3 hours ago, king ubu said:

Yes! Wish I'd been able to catch that trio live! Their two albums rank highly with me!

Yes from me for Renato Sellani. This solo one, "Glad there is you", from his last years, is gorgeous.

• 4 months later...
On 18/10/2018 at 2:32 PM, jlhoots said:

Kaja Draksler

I’ve just come across Draksler on a trio disc on Intakt. The sound the group achieve on PUNKT.VRT.PLASTIK is pretty astounding. It’s been on repeat without leaving my CD player for nearly 3 weeks.

Need to prise it out , to play the new solo disc by label mate Hawkins ....