The Complete Victor Lionel Hampton Sessions (1937-1941)

The Complete Victor Lionel Hampton Sessions (1937-1941)

This five disc set concentrates on the Victor recordings of Lionel Hampton's studio sessions from 1937 to 1941. These all star dates have been revered for years and include a "who's who" of swing stars: Ziggy Elman, Harry James, Cootie Williams, Jess Stacy, Johnny Hodges, Cozy Cole, Jonah Jones, Vido Musso, Benny Carter, Herschel Evans, Chu Berry, Billy Kyle, Jo Jones, Rex Stewart, Dizzy Gillespie, Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Charlie Christian, Red Allen, JC Higginbotham, Ed Hall, Joe Sullivan, Zutty Singleton, Nat Cole and Sir Charles Thompson. There are over 100 tunes including 10 previously unissued alternates.

Mosaic Future Projects page

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'Bout time somebody did this up right.

I have the old RCA 6 lp set. This is smokin!

Gonna be hard to beat that RCA set, even in terms of packaging and annotation. Impossible, maybe, even. That was done about as well as it could be done.

But if you don't have/can't get that one, yeah, this is going to be one to have no matter what.

I have the three Jazz Tribune Twofers (#61, #74 and #78) and love them. I wonder how the Mosaic set will compare and what I might be missing on those RCA discs. I always thought the Jazz tribune series had pretty decent sound.

Edit: There are 104 tracks altogether on those twofers, so I guess besides the 10 unreleased tracks mentioned by Mosaic, most of the material should be on there.

Edited by neveronfriday

I have the two 2 CD sets by Avid (UK) All Star Sessions Vol. 1 and All Star Sessions Vol. 2, containing altogether 100 tracks, covering the RCA Victor recordings from 1937 to 1941. Great sound, rudimentary liner notes, complete track, date and personnel listing. Superb playing by all involved.

Hm. Both volumes for a tenner here in uk - straight from avid via amazon. Hm.

Or in fact straight from Avid: http://www.avidgroup.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Edited to add: HMMMMMMMMMM

FWIW the Avid online price seems to include shipping to anywhere... so that's $20 for this set (2 x 2 CD) including shipping.

Lionel Hampton: Volume 1

Our Price £4.99 (includes p & p)

Open House All Star Sessions: Chicago, Hollywood & New York 2CD AMSC611 (5022810161127)

CD1: Down Home Jump * Rock Hill Special * Fiddle Diddle * Shades Of Jade * Till Tom Special * Flying Home * Save It, Pretty Mama * Tempo And Swing * Give Me Some Skin * Now That You're Mine * Chasin' With Chase * Three-Quarter Boogie * I'm Confessin' * Drum Stomp * Piano Stomp * I Surrender, Dear * The Object Of My Affection * Judy * Baby, Won't You Please Come Home? * Everybody Loves My Baby * After You've Gone * I Just Couldn't Take It, Baby * House Of Morgan * I'd Be Lost Without You * The Object Of My Affection

CD2: Central Avenue Breakdown * Jack The Bellboy * Dough-Ra-Me * Jivin' With Jarvis * Blue * I Don't Stand A Ghost Of A Chance With You * Lost Love * I Nearly Lost My Mind * Altitude * Fiddle-Dee-Dee * Bogo Jo * Open House * Smart Aleck * Bouncing At The Beacon * My Last Affair * Jivin' The Vibres * The Mood That I'm In * Hampton Stomp * Buzzin' Around With The Bee * Whoa, Babe * Stompology * On The Sunny Side Of The Street * Rhythm, Rhythm * Dough-Ra-Me * My Last Affair

Lionel Hampton: Volume 2

Our Price £4.99 (includes p & p)

2CD AMSC612 (5022810161226)

Hot Mallets All Star Sessions: Chicago, Hollywood & New York 2CD AMSC612 (5022810161226)

CD1: China Stomp * I Know That You Know * You're My Ideal * The Sun Will Shine Tonight * Ring Dem Bells * Don't Be That Way * I'm In The Mood For Swing * Shoe Shiner's Drag * Any Time At All * Muskrat Ramble * I Can Give You Love * High Society * It Don't Mean A Thing * Johnny, Get Your Horn And Blow It * Sweethearts On Parade * Shufflin' At The Hollywood * Denison Swing * Wizzin' The Wizz * If It's Good [Then I Want It] * Stand By For Further Announcements * Ain't Cha Comin' Home? * Big Wig In The Wigwam * Memories Of You * The Jumpin' Jive * Shufflin' At The Hollywood

CD2: Twelfth Street Rag * When Lights Are Low * One Sweet Letter From You * Hot Mallets * Early Session Hop * I'm On My Way From You * Haven't Named It Yet * The Heebie Jeebies Are Rockin' The Town * The Munson Street Breakdown * I've Found A New Baby * I Can't Get Started * Four Or Five Times * Gin For Christmas * Dinah * My Buddy * Singin' The Blues * Flying Home * Tempo And Swing * Just For Laffs * Martin On Every Block * Pig Foot Sonata * Charlie Was A Sailor * When Lights Are Low * The Heebie Jeebies Are Rockin' The Town * Dinah

Edited by David Ayers

I have the two 2 CD sets by Avid (UK) All Star Sessions Vol. 1 and All Star Sessions Vol. 2, containing altogether 100 tracks, covering the RCA Victor recordings from 1937 to 1941. Great sound, rudimentary liner notes, complete track, date and personnel listing. Superb playing by all involved.

Hm. Both volumes for a tenner here in uk - straight from avid via amazon. Hm.

Or in fact straight from Avid: http://www.avidgroup.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Edited to add: HMMMMMMMMMM

What are you waiting for?

That Hampton Victor box is one of the best project ever from Mosaic. Have enjoyed these sessions for decades on various issues (the last and still current one being the French BlueBird 6LPs version in two sets).

Some of the most essential jazz were recorded by Lionel Hampton and his groups.

Will pick up that one if Mosaic does its usual good job. Any idea who will be mastering this?

Any idea who will be mastering this?

Probably one of Sony/BMG's engineers, like Mark Wilder (whose work I don't like very much) or Dennis Ferrante, or maybe Kurt Lundvall or Ted Kendall. Wilder remastered most of the Miles Davis Columbia sets, and older stuff like the Columbia Louis Armstrong, Billie Holiday, and Charlie Christian sets. Ferrante did the mastering on the big RCA Ellington Centennial box. Lundvall did the Mosaic Variety/Vocalion/OKeh Ellington small-group set, Kendall the Mosaic Columbia/Victor Chu Berry set. Steven Lasker was also involved in both Ellington sets.

Edited by J.A.W.

Should I assume that most/if not all of this is big band/orchestra material?

That Hampton Victor box is one of the best project ever from Mosaic. Have enjoyed these sessions for decades on various issues (the last and still current one being the French BlueBird 6LPs version in two sets).

Will pick up that one if Mosaic does its usual good job. Any idea who will be mastering this?

Should I assume that most/if not all of this is big band/orchestra material?

Small-group material (up to 10).

Edited by J.A.W.