The Complete Victor Lionel Hampton Sessions (1937-1941)

It's been a long time since I was this excited about a jazz release. Since a Verve Lionel Hampton/Oscar Peterson comp was the first jazz CD I ever bought, I have many fond memories of listening to Lionel Hampton and will be happy to add more of his music to my collection. I'm glad I saved that Mosaic gift card that's been gathering dust on my desk for the last couple of years. :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saving my pennies then. I have 19 of these cuts on a cheapo CD I bought last year. Woooooo! Some stuff!

Also want the Wilson Heps - but maybe this first; once I get all that Billie Holday stuff, I might die.

And a Hamp Decca set would be great, too. On R&B, different bands contributed different things to R&B - it ain't one monolithic music. And what Hamp's band contributed was Illinois and Arnett and the HONKERS!!!!!!!! And what would R&B have been without a honking sax, I ask you!

Oho, and the Decca stuff isn't all like that anway. I have a 78 of "Midnight sun"/"3 minutes on 52nd Street" (could you want a more evocative title?) and it's nowhere near R&B. That band had all sorts of different things going on. And so did others. One of the great things I@m discovering as I look more into these swing bands is how varied the fare is, how many irons they had in the fire and how adaptable they were.

MG

Saving my pennies then. I have 19 of these cuts on a cheapo CD I bought last year. Woooooo! Some stuff!

Also want the Wilson Heps - but maybe this first; once I get all that Billie Holday stuff, I might die.

And a Hamp Decca set would be great, too. On R&B, different bands contributed different things to R&B - it ain't one monolithic music. And what Hamp's band contributed was Illinois and Arnett and the HONKERS!!!!!!!! And what would R&B have been without a honking sax, I ask you!

Oho, and the Decca stuff isn't all like that anway. I have a 78 of "Midnight sun"/"3 minutes on 52nd Street" (could you want a more evocative title?) and it's nowhere near R&B. That band had all sorts of different things going on. And so did others. One of the great things I@m discovering as I look more into these swing bands is how varied the fare is, how many irons they had in the fire and how adaptable they were.

MG

You're absolutely right, 1940s/1950s R&B certainly wasn't monolithic, with all those big bands, small groups, honkers, shouters, balladeers, doo-wop and vocal groups, etc.

By the way, I didn't say Hampton's Decca sides were all leaning toward R&B, but quite a few did.

MG

You're absolutely right, 1940s/1950s R&B certainly wasn't monolithic, with all those big bands, small groups, honkers, shouters, balladeers, doo-wop and vocal groups, etc.

By the way, I didn't say Hampton's Decca sides were all leaning toward R&B, but quite a few did.

On the R&B side, if anyone is interested in Louis Jordan, Bear Family did a fine job of reissuing all of his Decca recordings. There is some cool stuff in there.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Teddy Wilson Heps. Those tend to be hard to get over here in the U.S., alas. Does anybody have a good reliable on-line seller for those?

On the R&B side, if anyone is interested in Louis Jordan, Bear Family did a fine job of reissuing all of his Decca recordings.

If you mention Louis Jordan in connection with R&B, this is just the uppermost tip of the iceberg. Just check out the reissues on the Blue Moon and Classics Blues & Rhythm CD series and you'll be FLOORED with what's available (and there's a lot more beyond that).

BTW, re- Hampton and R&B, what's wrong with linking Hamp with R&B? 40s and early to mid-50s black jazz and R&B go VERY well together anyhow, no need to sneer at R&B at all. ;) There even was lots of crossover between Bebop and R&B (cf. Leo Parker to name just one single name). And Hamp had no match in bringing musicianship AND showmanship AND sheer excitement together into an explosive mixture. I think the times when his 50s European tours were lambasted by jazz purists as being too "rock'n'roll" (Ooooooh! What feeelth! :D ) are over once and for all.

However, to get the whole picture you'd not only need his Decca sides of that period but also certain airshots, transcriptions and V-Discs (e.g. Screamin' Boogie).

MG

On the R&B side, if anyone is interested in Louis Jordan, Bear Family did a fine job of reissuing all of his Decca recordings. There is some cool stuff in there.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Teddy Wilson Heps. Those tend to be hard to get over here in the U.S., alas. Does anybody have a good reliable on-line seller for those?

I have the Louis Jordan Bear Family box and it's wonderful.

As for the Teddy Wilson Hep CDs, you can order them directly from Hep, just use this link or the one in my post #45.

Edited by J.A.W.

On the R&B side, if anyone is interested in Louis Jordan, Bear Family did a fine job of reissuing all of his Decca recordings.

If you mention Louis Jordan in connection with R&B, this is just the uppermost tip of the iceberg. Just check out the reissues on the Blue Moon and Classics Blues & Rhythm CD series and you'll be FLOORED with what's available (and there's a lot more beyond that).

BTW, re- Hampton and R&B, what's wrong with linking Hamp with R&B? 40s and early to mid-50s black jazz and R&B go VERY well together anyhow, no need to sneer at R&B at all. ;) There even was lots of crossover between Bebop and R&B (cf. Leo Parker to name just one single name). And Hamp had no match in bringing musicianship AND showmanship AND sheer excitement together into an explosive mixture. I think the times when his 50s European tours were lambasted by jazz purists as being too "rock'n'roll" (Ooooooh! What feeelth! :D ) are over once and for all.

However, to get the whole picture you'd not only need his Decca sides of that period but also certain airshots, transcriptions and V-Discs (e.g. Screamin' Boogie).

There's nothing wrong with linking Hampton with R&B and I didn't say there was, I just don't like his exuberant style on many of the Decca recordings as much as his earlier small-group Victor sides. That does not mean I'm sneering at R&B! Please don't put words into my mouth.

By the way, a large part of my CD collection consists of 1940s/1950s R&B.

Edited by J.A.W.

Sorry, somehow I had gotten the impression that this was a question of a definitive ranking - not specifically with you in the first place, though, but I have come across commentaries every now and then that sound like there ought to reman a strict dividing line between 40s/50s jazz and R&B. In this particular case, I agree that the 117th version of Hey Ba Ba Rebop or Hamp's Boogie Woogie etc. can get a bit tiresome ;) but I feel both Hamp's RCA and Decca (and subsequent) recordings can be enjoyed alike on their very own terms, I think.

BTW, for those in the know: What would be the most accessible comprehensive reissue of Hamp's 40s V-Discs?

I have the Louis Jordan Bear Family box and it's wonderful.

As for the Teddy Wilson Hep CDs, you can order them directly from Hep, just use this link or the one in my post #45.

Thanks for the link. I looked them up, and the only problem with them (like the Classics) is that they include all the Holiday vocals. I already have those on the Lady Day box. Wish somebody would reissue the instrumentals. Would make a nice Mosaic Select, I think, or maybe even a bigger one if there are two many for a Select.

But that list is REALLY long!

To my ears the sound of the Billie Holiday tracks on the Hep CDs is better than on the Holiday Columbia box, not as shrill/harsh/aggressive.

Edited by J.A.W.

Look for this album:

21TWMYWR7XL._AA130_.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion. That's been reissued more recently as "Pre-Bird." It has "Mingus Fingus No. 2." I'll get that CD.

But I'm also looking for the original "Mingus Fingus" (Mingus Fingers) made by the Hampton band.

It was on "Hamp: The Legendary Decca Recordings" but that is no longer in print.

Wow, anyone work with this web page:

http://www.song-list.net/

Well, it is on the Proper Box "The Lionel Hampton Story"

I picked up the Chronological Classics releases as they came out. They have all of Hampton's Deccas as well as his V-Discs. Don't know about current availability.

Thanks for the info, but uh oh ... there we go again .... endless series of duplicates ... (I have ALL of Hamp's Deccas - there were two excellent LP series on both German and French MCA years ago, and I don't believe in changing music just for the format, especially if it would mean dumping my good old vinyl ;)). No separate V-Disc Hampton collections anywhere, I guess, then? Not even something that may be OOP but can still be traced somewhere somehow? Or would I have to look for a cheapo box set that has it all but would leave me far less broke than a Chronological Classic full-price series? ;)

I picked up the Chronological Classics releases as they came out. They have all of Hampton's Deccas as well as his V-Discs. Don't know about current availability.

Thanks for the info, but uh oh ... there we go again .... endless series of duplicates ... (I have ALL of Hamp's Deccas - there were two excellent LP series on both German and French MCA years ago, and I don't believe in changing music just for the format, especially if it would mean dumping my good old vinyl ;)). No separate V-Disc Hampton collections anywhere, I guess, then? Not even something that may be OOP but can still be traced somewhere somehow? Or would I have to look for a cheapo box set that has it all but would leave me far less broke than a Chronological Classic full-price series? ;)

OK, I see. However, you would only have to pick up two of the Classics, 1942-1944 and 1945-1946. Hampton only recorded six sides for V-Disc, although they are much longer than what was usual for the time, clocking in at between 4 and 6 minutes per side, for a total of almost 30 minutes. And they are great fun! 1942-1944 has Flying Home, parts 1 & 2, The Major And The Minor and I Wonder Boogie, while 1945-1946 has Vibe Boogie and Screamin' Boogie. I checked the Proper and Quadromania tracklists, but they only seem to have two V-Disc tracks each.

Speaking of Hampton's big band, something that should be released is his numerous broadcasts from the mid-40s. Very little of it has come out on CD, and I'm sure it's exciting stuff.

OK, I see. However, you would only have to pick up two of the Classics, 1942-1944 and 1945-1946. Hampton only recorded six sides for V-Disc, although they are much longer than what was usual for the time, clocking in at between 4 and 6 minutes per side, for a total of almost 30 minutes. And they are great fun! 1942-1944 has Flying Home, parts 1 & 2, The Major And The Minor and I Wonder Boogie, while 1945-1946 has Vibe Boogie and Screamin' Boogie. I checked the Proper and Quadromania tracklists, but they only seem to have two V-Disc tracks each.

Speaking of Hampton's big band, something that should be released is his numerous broadcasts from the mid-40s. Very little of it has come out on CD, and I'm sure it's exciting stuff.

Lionel Hampton recorded some sides for the Jubilee Radio Show. The Jubilee Radio Show was an Armed Forces broadcast aimed at black military personnel around the world. There are five tracks by Lione Hampton and his orchestra on the Hindsight 3CD-compilation "Big Band Jazz - The Jubilee Sessions 1943 - 1946": Hey!-Ba-Ba-Re-Bop, Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby?, K-Ration Hop, Million Dollar Smile and a seven minutes plus version of Flying Home. Besides, this superior collection brings together exciting recordings by almost every leading black big band of the mid-forties, such as Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Benny Carter, Jimmy Lunceford, Earl Hines, Cootie Williams, Claude Hopkins, Fletcher Henderson, Gerald Wilson, Billy Eckstine, Erskine Hawkins a.o.

Look for this album:

21TWMYWR7XL._AA130_.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion. That's been reissued more recently as "Pre-Bird." It has "Mingus Fingus No. 2." I'll get that CD.

But I'm also looking for the original "Mingus Fingus" (Mingus Fingers) made by the Hampton band.

It was on "Hamp: The Legendary Decca Recordings" but that is no longer in print.

Wow, anyone work with this web page:

http://www.song-list.net/

Well, it is on the Proper Box "The Lionel Hampton Story"

I just realized that it is in one of Allen Lowe's "That Devilin' Tune" boxes as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Lionel Hampton recorded some sides for the Jubilee Radio Show. The Jubilee Radio Show was an Armed Forces broadcast aimed at black military personnel around the world. There are five tracks by Lione Hampton and his orchestra on the Hindsight 3CD-compilation "Big Band Jazz - The Jubilee Sessions 1943 - 1946": Hey!-Ba-Ba-Re-Bop, Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby?, K-Ration Hop, Million Dollar Smile and a seven minutes plus version of Flying Home. Besides, this superior collection brings together exciting recordings by almost every leading black big band of the mid-forties, such as Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Benny Carter, Jimmy Lunceford, Earl Hines, Cootie Williams, Claude Hopkins, Fletcher Henderson, Gerald Wilson, Billy Eckstine, Erskine Hawkins a.o.

I've got this set, and it is great. You've inspired me to play it some more.

• 8 years later...

MI0001567277.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

This box set has become one of my favorite Mosaics. Never mind historically important — this music swings and makes you feel good. I've also found that non-fans of jazz like it. It works well at parties or just listening to it alone with a cup of coffee.

• 1 year later...