The Complete Victor Lionel Hampton Sessions (1937-1941)

Should I assume that most/if not all of this is big band/orchestra material?

That Hampton Victor box is one of the best project ever from Mosaic. Have enjoyed these sessions for decades on various issues (the last and still current one being the French BlueBird 6LPs version in two sets).

Some of the most essential jazz were recorded by Lionel Hampton and his groups.

Will pick up that one if Mosaic does its usual good job. Any idea who will be mastering this?

Small-group material (up to 10).

Go back to the opening post for details.

Those Victor sessions were recorded before Hampton made his first big band sides.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To take things yet one step further re- Hamp's output during that period:

Just refer to the original release label:

Victor = small-group recordings (mostly studio pickup groups)

Decca = working big band (mostly; a few were combo recordings)

Those were entirely different periods:

Victor: 1937-1941

Decca: 1941-1950

Should I assume that most/if not all of this is big band/orchestra material?

That Hampton Victor box is one of the best project ever from Mosaic. Have enjoyed these sessions for decades on various issues (the last and still current one being the French BlueBird 6LPs version in two sets).

Will pick up that one if Mosaic does its usual good job. Any idea who will be mastering this?

Small-group material (up to 10).

These are essential small group swing recordings, comparable to the Teddy Wilson / Billie Holiday sessions or the Benny Goodman Sextet and Septet recordings. Lionel Hampton assembled all star groups in the studio gathering the top soloists from the top swing orchestras (Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Cab Calloway a.o.) that happened to be in town at the time. One of the highlights is the session that featured a reed section of Benny Carter, Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster and Chu Berry (!), another session brought together Benny Carter (on trumpet), Coleman Hawkins and Edmond Hall, just to give you an idea.

J.A.W., strictly speaking you are right, though these periods were consecutive rather than different, but I take it from tranemonk's question that some associate even older Lionel Hampton recordings with his big band (hence, his Decca band). So a glance at the original label (as stated in some reissue listing, for example) might help for quick reference.

But that's a minor point anyway ...

Working against the Avids is the fake stereo. There was a recent discussion of Hamp (which amongst other things mentioned this unfortunate feature) here: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=33860

The fake stereo for my ears is not disturbing at all, the remastering produced a very clean and listenable sound. I like it, but this sure is a matter of personal taste.

Edited by Tommy T

J.A.W., strictly speaking you are right, though these periods were consecutive rather than different, but I take it from tranemonk's question that some associate even older Lionel Hampton recordings with his big band (hence, his Decca band). So a glance at the original label (as stated in some reissue listing, for example) might help for quick reference.

But that's a minor point anyway ...

Well, to my ears those two periods are quite different. I like Hampton's small-group work on Victor (1937-1941) much better than his Decca big-band recordings (1941-1950), some of which were leaning toward R&B.

I've some of this on three excellent RCA LPs from France. I'll certainly go for the Mosaic for the whole package. It's not just the music you get from them.

the irony of course is that is that the terrific Hamp box (AXM6-5536, list price at the time: $23.98) is sometimes difficult to even give away. edc's current copy, purchased a cpl years ago, has a $5 price tag on it & it ain't cuz folks was dragged about a little shelfwear on the lid. fuckin' awesome hat on Kaiser Marshall too-- where's Der Kaiser now? Toots Mondello became a car salesman in Brooklyn, his kids still run Toots Mondello Ford down in Bay Ridge.

Yes to all of this.

Mosaic would do well to simply replace the brown RCA box with their own black, use a cover photo of their choosing, replace the paper stock of the booklet with their own, and leave everything else the fuck alone.

If y'all haven't seen this RCA box, you might think I'm being sentimental and/or silly, I'm not. And if y'all can get one for $5.00, carpe diem. I got mine as a seled cutout for under $10.00 somewhere in the early 1980s.

Butn it to CD and indeed, enjoy Kaiser's lid. Hell yeah.

Y'all are right, that RCA LP box set is da bomb.

Yeah, I'm so old I bought it new. Liners by Stanley Dance. I wonder if he held the record for the most liner notes written by one critic? They're good liners, but I'd bet the Mosaic will be at least as good, possibly better. It would be cool to reprint them, but that's not Mosaic's style.

Nice idea for a set, though. Didn't Teddy Wilson lead a similar series (without Billie Holiday as well as with her) for the Columbia labels during a similar period? I have an old Columbia two-fer with some of those.

Yeah, I'm so old I bought it new. Liners by Stanley Dance. I wonder if he held the record for the most liner notes written by one critic? They're good liners, but I'd bet the Mosaic will be at least as good, possibly better. It would be cool to reprint them, but that's not Mosaic's style.

Nice idea for a set, though. Didn't Teddy Wilson lead a similar series (without Billie Holiday as well as with her) for the Columbia labels during a similar period? I have an old Columbia two-fer with some of those.

IIRC there was a twofer Wilson set that was only released in Canada. Great idea for a box or a select (I don't know how many sides he cut). they could leave out the Holidays since probably everyone who would buy such a set would already have them.

Oops ... am I THAT old too? :D Bought my two 3-LP sets on French RCA new too, and still like them immensely. Agree about everything else said about this set here and cannot see why this set should NOT be snapped up REAL FAST if it became available at the giveaway price like Clem's copy. Where's all you discerning collectors? Given up collecting vinyl for good? ;)

I like Hampton's small-group work on Victor (1937-1941) much better than his Decca big-band recordings (1941-1950), some of which were leaning toward R&B.

You're right, of course, but if Mosaic gets around to do the Decca stuff as well, this is really going to rock the house.

Musically, the Victor's are on a much higher level, but the Decca's are the birth of R&B.

Indeed!

I like both Hampton periods - the Victor sessions for their all-star virtuosity, and the Decca recordings for sheer exuberance, vitality and powerhouse energy. Though admittedly they touch different parts of your musical innards ;), to me both swing to the very same extent, both in their very own way.

BTW - J.A.W., check out the jazz photo book by Ed van der Elsken published by Nieswand a couple of years ago (I think the original this book is based on is rare as hens' teeth). It has lots of pictures from Hamp's mid-50s tour in the Netherlands. Hamp's powerhouse music literally jumps out of the pictures!

Didn't Teddy Wilson lead a similar series (without Billie Holiday as well as with her) for the Columbia labels during a similar period? I have an old Columbia two-fer with some of those.

The Teddy Wilson sides (both with and without Billie Holiday) have been available on the Scottish Hep label for quite a while now. They're excellent, with great sound. The late John R.T. Davies did the mastering.

Edited by J.A.W.

I like Hampton's small-group work on Victor (1937-1941) much better than his Decca big-band recordings (1941-1950), some of which were leaning toward R&B.

You're right, of course, but if Mosaic gets around to do the Decca stuff as well, this is really going to rock the house.

Musically, the Victor's are on a much higher level, but the Decca's are the birth of R&B.

Lionel Hampton's Decca sides certainly did play a part in the birth of R&B, but don't forget Louis Jordan, whose first sides appeared in 1938, and Big Joe Turner, whose first (pre-Atlantic) recordings were also made in the 1930s. There were several others too who contributed to the rise of R&B (Buddy Johnson, Lucky Millinder, etc.)

I've some of this on three excellent RCA LPs from France. I'll certainly go for the Mosaic for the whole package. It's not just the music you get from them.

Sounds like the LP set we have here at the station--RCA France PM 42417, three records covering 1939-1941.

Lionel Hampton's Decca sides certainly did play a part in the birth of R&B, but don't forget Louis Jordan, whose first sides appeared in 1938, and Big Joe Turner, whose first (pre-Atlantic) recordings were also made in the 1930s. There were several others too who contributed to the rise of R&B (Buddy Johnson, Lucky Millinder, etc.)

There's a pretty good Decca two disc set with about 45 cuts: includes Mingus Fingus and Flying Home IIRC.

There's a pretty good Decca two disc set with about 45 cuts: includes Mingus Fingus and Flying Home IIRC.

If you're talking about the Decca/GRP 2CD-set Hamp: The Legendary Decca Recordings, I had that one and sold it; couldn't stand the noise reduction that was used.

The Complete Victor Lionel Hampton Sessions (1937-1941)

This five disc set concentrates on the Victor recordings of Lionel Hampton's studio sessions from 1937 to 1941. These all star dates have been revered for years and include a "who's who" of swing stars: Ziggy Elman, Harry James, Cootie Williams, Jess Stacy, Johnny Hodges, Cozy Cole, Jonah Jones, Vido Musso, Benny Carter, Herschel Evans, Chu Berry, Billy Kyle, Jo Jones, Rex Stewart, Dizzy Gillespie, Coleman Hawkins, Ben Webster, Charlie Christian, Red Allen, JC Higginbotham, Ed Hall, Joe Sullivan, Zutty Singleton, Nat Cole and Sir Charles Thompson. There are over 100 tunes including 10 previously unissued alternates.

Mosaic Future Projects page

Man, this sounds good. :excited: