Onzy Matthews Mosaic Select

I really like this set. I had no preconceptions, and I bought 5 of the recent selects at one go, but it is the Onzy I am playing most often. Not profound, but powerfull and with a good proportion of WTF moments.I love the Gerald Wilson set, but I think that this is almost as good, in short very entertaining. Let me know what you think when you hear it!

All I have of this material is dubs of Onzy's two LPs as leader, so I can't speak for the additional material, but based on those albums, I will be buying the select at some point. The music is fine, "smooth" in the old-school, non-pejorative sense, and the soloists are all "names you can trust", especially in this context.

The music only goes as far as it goes, but where it goes is a very nice place. My hunch is that a lot of people are going to be "pleasantly surprised" by this set.

I thought this was expected to be a September release, so thanks for the heads up that it is already available. Like Jim I've heard the two released LPs and enjoyed them, so its a no-brainer to put this on the want list for upcoming birthday/anniversary/Christmas purchases.

Anyone wish to comment on the Anderza/Bolton tracks?

• 3 weeks later...

The discography states that on You'll Know the First Time Sweets Edison and Ollie Mitchell replace Bud Brisbois and Bobby Bryant but the notes say that the muted trumpet solo is by Bobby Bryant. Anyone care to venture an opinion as to which is correct?

The discography states that on You'll Know the First Time Sweets Edison and Ollie Mitchell replace Bud Brisbois and Bobby Bryant but the notes say that the muted trumpet solo is by Bobby Bryant. Anyone care to venture an opinion as to which is correct?

Sounds more like Bobby Bryant than Sweets to me.

Anyone wish to comment on the Anderza/Bolton tracks?

I'm not crazy about this Select , but the two Anderza sextet tracks are worthwhile . Hadley Caliman fills out the front line but does not solo . We do get a couple of Roosevelt Wardell solos and a Clarence Jones spot as well . Bolton is as clarion and commanding as ever . The aptly titled 'Midnite Lament' is a slow , moody affair showcasing Bolton's pure , virile tone . Anderza projects a Jackie McLean-like intensity and moves into his tonal territory at times as well . The uptempo 'Joe and I' ( which shares some changes with Airegin ) brings out a more individual , if no less passionate , side of Anderza . Good stuff , that would've fit better as bonus tracks on Anderza's Outa Sight CD .

The other four tracks with Bolton feature him with a large band , and since they were done for Capitol and it was 1963 , we get slight , undistinguished bossa/samba frameworks which do not show Bolton to best advantage . I was reminded of those contemporaneous Lou Blackburn Imperial sides which I don't dislike so much as not love .

I just got mine yesterday and played it through once. Fantastic! What a great idea for a Mosaic Select. The music on discs 1 and 2 is consistently strong (IMO), both in arrangements and solo work. Disc 3 is more inconsistent, but still has its moments. This one is going to be on my player for a while.

Michael Cuscuna also did a good job on the booklet essay. It is one of the best Cuscuna essays that I can recall reading.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone bought the Onzy Matthews Mosaic Select yet?

What are your opinions of the music?

the sound samples sound wonderful- in the Gerald Wilson vein-but even more soulful.

And the sidemen are top notch..

Impressions of this set appreciated.

THANKS!

Only saw your question now, sorry for the late reply: hopefully you have bought the Onzy Matthews Set and enjoyed it many times! I am very grateful to Mosaic to have released these CDs and I hope that it will contribute to introduce Onzy to the jazz lovers who did not know him yet and that it will also keep him in the minds of those who already liked him.

I had the privilege to be his friend , during his Paris years, when he took me to places to eat soul food at 3 in the morning... He never stopped being Mister Big Band even when he had to play in a Parisian Restaurant- le Boeuf sur le Toit.

He can be seen in the movie Dingo with Miles Davis (music Miles Davis and Michel Legrand).

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IIRC at least one of the tracks in the Select was recorded at the occasion of one of the Rawls sessions reissued here. Fine, straightahead, bluesy stuff - Rawls' 3rd and 4th LPs, respectively, with the Groove Holmes trio as rhythm section on some tracks. This twofer CD might be a side-product of Cuscuna's research for the Matthews Select.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget the two albums Matthews arranged for Lou Rawls, which are currently available on one CD:

41uu7Uv76LL._SS400_.jpg

There is a wonderful Atlantic album by Esther Phillips called Confessin' The Blues with live tracks one one side and studio tracks on the other - the studio tracks are all with Onzy's big band and they are among the best things Esther ever recorded.

• 6 years later...
5 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I thought Mosaic had a page where you could download their discographies of boxes past and present. Never seen it, though.

MG

There's a website called the Internet Archive that has a page called the "Wayback Machine." You can search for old websites that the organization has been archiving for many years. You might give that a try.

On November 19, 2015 at 2:29:26 PM, king ubu said:

Would anyone happen to have saved the discography from Mosaic's website while it was still there?

DISC ONE:

1. A New Samba For Margo (C) 4:14

(Onzy Matthews) 

2. A Second Chance (Song from Two For The Seesaw) (C) 2:25

(A. Previn-D. Langdon) 

3. Bossa Nova Blue (C) 2:40

(Bobby Bryant) 

4. Little Boat (O Barquinho) (C) 2:50

(Menescal-Boscoli-Kaye) 

5. Lover Man (A) 3:17

(Davis-Ramirez-Sherman) 

6. Ho Ba La La (A) 2:55

(J. Gilberto-N. Gimbel) 

7. Almost In Your Arms (Love song from Houseboat) (A) 2:24

(R. Evans-J. Livington) 

8. Canadian Sunset (A) 3:10

(E. Heywood-N. Gimbel) 

9. Non-Stop Jazz Samba (B) 3:47

(Onzy Matthews) 

10. Without Your Love (B) 3:00

(Onzy Matthews) 

11. Bossa Nova In Minor (B) 2:24

(Onzy Matthews) 

12. One Note Samba (B) 2:42

(Jobim-Hendricks-Mendonca) 

13. Lilies Of The Field (D) 2:33

(Jerry Goldsmith) 

14. Joe And I (E) 3:56

(unknown)

15. Midnite Lament (E) 5:20

(Benny Harris) 

DISC TWO

1. Blues With A Touch Of Elegance (G) 4:07

(Onzy Matthews)

2. Flamingo (G) 2:11

(T. Grouya-E. Anderson) 

3. Pensive (H) 2:36

(Onzy Matthews) 

4. Feels Like I've Got The Blues (G) 3:43

(Onzy Matthews) 

5. Dallas Blues (H) 3:18

(Onzy Matthews) 

6. Somethin's Cookin' (H) 2:35

(Onzy Matthews) 

7. I Should Care (G) 4:23

(Stordahl-Weston-Cahn) 

8. Blues Non-Stop (G) 3:21

(Onzy Matthews) 

9. I Cover The Waterfront (H) 5:00

(J. Green-E. Heyman) 

10. Satin Doll (H) 5:00

(D. Ellington-B. Strayhorn) 

11. Burnin' (H) 2:03

(Onzy Matthews) 

12. Blues Non-Stop (first version) (F) 3:09

(Onzy Matthews) 

13. I Cover The Waterfront (first version) (F) 4:28

(J. Green-E. Heyman) 

14. Dallas Blues (first version) (F) 3:32

(Onzy Matthews) 

15. Soemthin's Cookin' (first version) (F) 2:20

(Onzy Matthews) 

16. Lefty Louie Blues (I) 2:20

(M. Jacobs-F. Huddleston)

17. Blues Non-Stop (vocal version) (I) 2:28

(Onzy Matthews) 

DISC THREE

1. Ray-On Blues (J) 2:28

(Onzy Matthews) 

2. You'll Know The First Time (K) 4:26

(Onzy Matthews) 

3. Moon River (K) 2:22

(H. Mancini-J. Mercer) 

4. Like Someone In Love (L) 1:22

(J. Burke-J. Van Heusen) 

5. Ballad For Orchestra (M) 3:20

(Onzy Matthews) 

6. I Left My Heart In San Francisco (M) 3:48

(D. Cross-G. Cory) 

7. A Set For Gillette (M) 2:04

(Onzy Matthews) 

8. Spring Is Here (M) 2:25

(R. Rodgers-L. Hart) 

9. Down In My Soul (M) 2:40

(Onzy Matthews) 

10. Make Someone Happy (M) 2:21

(Styne-Comden-Green) 

11. People (N) 3:45

(J. Styne-B. Merrill) 

12. Play Me Some Blues (N) 3:35

(Onzy Matthews) 

13. White Gardenia (N) 2:57

(Onzy Matthews) 

14. Lilies Of The Field (N) 3:00

(Jerry Goldsmith) 

15. Mexicali Brass (N) 2:47

(Onzy Matthews) 

16. Blues For The Reverend (N) 2:47

(Onzy Matthews) 

17. Put On A Happy Face (M) 1:32

(L. Adams-C. Strouse) 

18. I Thought About You (J) 3:23

(J. Van Heusen-J. Mercer)

19. Guess I'd Better Go Back Home (J) 3:16

(Onzy Matthews) 

DISCOGRAPHY

(A) Bobby Bryant, trumpet, fluegelhorn; Gabe Baltazar, alto sax, flute; Onzy Matthews, piano; Al Viola, Julian "Bud" Matlock, guitars; Jim Crutcher, bass; Jerry MacKenzie, drums.

Capitol Studios, LA, February 5,1963

39134-4 Lover Man previously unissued 

39135-3 Ho Ba La La - 

39136-3 Almost In Your Arms (Love song from Houseboat) - 

39137-6 Canadian Sunset -

(B) Horace Tapscott, Joe Vasquez, trombones; Onzy Matthews, piano; Al Viola, Julian "Bud" Matlock, guitars; Jim Crutcher, bass; Jerry MacKenzie, drums, Elliott Fisher, Jim Getzoff, Jerry Vinci, Paul Shure, violins; Ray Kramer, Adolph Frezin, cellos.

Capitol Studios, LA, February 6,1963

39156-12 Without Your Love previously unissued

39157-3 Non-Stop Jazz Samba -1 - 

39158-11 One Note Samba - 

39159-5 Bossa Nova In Minor - 

-1 also known as Six Bits Jones Jazz Samba

(C) Bob Rolfe, Dupree Bolton, trumpets; Horace Tapscott, Lou Blackburn, Dick Leith, trombones; Gabe Baltazar, alto sax; Curtis Amy, tenor sax; Jay Migliori, baritone sax; 

Onzy Matthews, piano; Al Viola, Julian "Bud" Matlock, guitars; Jim Crutcher, bass; Jerry MacKenzie, drums.

Capitol Studios, LA, February 6,1963

39160-5 A Second Chance (Song from Two For The Seasaw) previously unissued

39161-4 Little Boat (O Barquinho) -

39162-4 Bossa Nova Blue -

39163-5 A New Samba For Margo -

(D) Bud Brisbois, Bob Rolfe, Dalton Smith, Freddie Hill, Walter Williams, trumpets; Horace Tapscott, Lou Blackburn, Joe Vasquez, trombones; Ron Smith, bass trombone; Sonny Criss, Joe Maini, alto saxes; Curtis Amy, soprano sax, tenor sax; Teddy Edwards, tenor sax; Jay Migliori, baritone sax; Rene Hall, Ray Crawford, guitars; Onzy Matthews, piano, Jim Crutcher, bass, Earl Palmer, drums, Lou Rawls, tambourine.

Capitol Studios, LA, July 30,1963 

50232-7 Lilies Of The Field previously unissued 

NOTE: This was done at the end of one of the Lou Rawls - Tobacco Road sessions

(E) Dupree Bolton, trumpet; Earl Anderza, alto sax; Hadley Caliman, tenor sax; Roosevelt Wardell, piano; Clarence Jones, bass; Chuck Carter, drums.

Pacific Jazz Studios, LA, June 30 1963

Joe And I previously unissued

Midnite Lament -

NOTE: This session was made under Earl Anderza's leadership

(F) Dolton Smith, Bud Brisbois, Bobby Bryant, Bob Rolfe, John Anderson, trumpets; Lou Blackburn, Dick Hude, Horace Tapscott, trombones; Ron Smith, bass trombone; Sid Miller, Clifford Scott, alto saxes; Curtis Amy, Teddy Edwards, Clifford Solomon, tenor saxes; Jay Migliori, baritone sax; Onzy Matthews, piano; Richard Groove Holmes, organ, Ray Crawford, guitar; Jim Crutcher, bass; Earl Palmer, drums.

Capitol Studios, LA, October 10,1963

50713-4 Blues Non-Stop -1 previously unissued

50714-13 Somethin's Cookin' -2 -

50715-4 I Cover The Waterfront -

50716-4 Dallas Blues -

-1 also known as Six Bits Jones

-2 also known as Poppin' and Nick's Pick

(G) Bud Brisbois, Bobby Bryant, Freddie Hill, Bob Rolfe, Dalton Smith, trumpets; Lou Blackburn, Dick Hyde, Horace Tapscott, trombones; Ron Smith, bass trombone; Clifford Scott, Sid Miller, alto saxes; Curtis Amy, Clifford Solomon, tenor saxes; Jay Migliori, baritone sax; Onzy Matthews, piano; Ray Crawford, guitar; Jim Crutcher, bass; Chiz Harris, drums.

Capitol Studios, LA, January 2,1964

51055-12 I Should Care Cap ST 2099

51056 Pensive rejected

51057-5 Flamingo Cap ST 2099

51058-9 Blues With A Touch Of Elegance -

51067-3 Feels Like I've Got The Blues -

51068-5 Blues Non-Stop -

(H) Same as (G) except Joe Maini, alto sax replaces Sid Miller.

Capitol Studios, LA, January 3,1964

51056-3 Pensive Cap ST 2099

51059-1 Burnin' previously unissued

51060-7 Dallas Blues Cap.ST 2099

51061-9 I Cover The Waterfront -

51062-7 Satin Doll -

51069-5 Somethin's Cookin' -

(I) Onzy Matthews, piano; Ray Crawford, guitar; Jim Crutcher, bass; Chiz Harris, drums; Randy Van Horn, Wayne Dunston, 2 of The King Sisters, 1 unknown, vocals..

Capitol Studios, LA, January 22,1964

51252-17 Lefty Louie Blues Cap.5167

51253-9 Blues Non-Stop -

(J) Bud Brisbois, Bobby Bryant, Melvin Moore, John Anderson, Bob Rolfe, trumpets; 

Dave Wells, bass trumpet, trombone; Lou Blackburn, Pete Myers, Dick Leith, trombones; Gabe Baltazar, alto sax; Clifford Scott, alto sax, tenor sax; Curtis Amy, Alex Nelson, tenor saxes;

Jay Migliori, baritone sax; Onzy Matthews, piano; Ray Crawford, guitar; Jim Crutcher, bass; Chiz Harris, drums. 

Capitol Studios, LA, July 1,1964

52349 Make Someone Happy rejected

52350-7 I Thought About You -1 previously unissued

52351-4 Guess I'd Better Go Back Home -1 - 

52352-9 Ray-on Blues Cap.T/ST 2479

-1 Onzy Matthews, lead vocal and unknown female vocal group overdubbed.

(K) same as (J) except Harry Sweets Edison and Ollie Mitchell, trumpets replace Bud Brisbois and Bobby Bryant.

Capitol Studios, LA, July 7,1964

52373-9 Moon River Cap.ST 2479

52374 Down In My Soul rejected

52375-15 You'll Know The First Time Cap ST 2479

(L) Harry Edison, Lee Katzman, Melvin Moore, John Anderson, Bob Rolfe, trumpets;

Dave Wells, bass trumpet, trombone; Lou Blackburn, Pete Myers, Dick Leith, trombones; Gabe Baltazar, alto sax, flute; Clifford Scott, alto sax; Curtis Amy, Alex Nelson, tenor saxes, Jay Migliori, baritone sax, flute; Onzy Matthews, piano; Ray Crawford, guitar; Jim Crutcher, bass; Chiz Harris, drums.

Capitol Studios, LA, August 8,1964

52624-5 Like Someone In Love previously unissued 

52625 Spring Is Here rejected

52626 Ballad For Orchestra rejected

52627 I Left My Heart In San Francisco rejected

(M) Bud Brisbois, Bobby Bryant, Melvin Moore, Bob Rolfe, John Duke, trumpets; 

Dave Wells, bass trumpet, trombone; Lou Blackburn, Pete Myers, Don Switzer, trombones; Gabe Baltazar, alto sax; Clifford Scott, alto sax, tenor sax; Curtis Amy, Bill Carter, tenor saxes; Jay Migliori, baritone sax, Onzy Matthews, piano; Herb Ellis, guitar; Jim Crutcher, bass; Chiz Harris, drums; Dal Carlos, congas.

Capitol Studios, LA, October 7,1964

52625-11 Spring Is Here previously unissued

52936-4 Put On A Happy Face -1 -

52374-11 Down In My Soul -

52349-10 Make Someone Happy -

52627-8 I Left My Heart In San Francisco Cap ST 2479

52626-9 Ballad For Orchestra Cap.ST 2479

52937-7 A Set For Gillette previously unissued

-1 Onzy Matthews, lead vocal overdubbed.

(N) Bud Brisbois, Ollie Mitchell, Melvin Moore, Bobby Bryant, Bob Rolfe, trumpets; 

Lou Blackburn, Dick Hyde, Pete Myers, Dick Leith, trombones; Bob Knight, bass trombones: Gabe Baltazar, alto sax, flute; Sonny Criss, alto sax; Clfford Scott, Curtis Amy, tenor saxes; Jay Migliori, baritone sax; Don Peake, guitar; Onzy Matthews, piano; Larry Knechtel, electric bass; Sharky Hall, drums; Lloyd Morales, percussion.

Capitol Studios, LA, July 28,1965

53963-14 White Gardenia Cap.ST 2479

53964-7 Blues For The Reverend -

53965-3 Mexicali Brass -

53966-3 Lilies Of The Field -

53971-6 Play Me Some Blues -

53980-1 People previously unissued

Original sessions produced by Nick Venet (A-D), Richard Bock (E), Lee Gillette (F-M) and Bill Miller (N).

Recording engineer: Pete Abbott (B-D, G, H), John Kraus (F) and Hugh Davies (J-M).

Produced for release by Michael Cuscuna

Mastered in 24 bit by Ron McMaster, Capitol Studios, Los Angeles

Disc two, tracks 1-10 were originally issued as BLUES WITH A TOUCH OF ELEGANCE (Capitol ST-2099). Disc three, tracks 1-3, 5, 6 and 12-16 were originally issued as SOUNDS FOR THE '60'S! (Capitol ST-2479).

All other selections are previously unissued

Design direction: Richard Mantel

Design production: InkWell, Inc.

Special thanks to Russ Wapensky, The Institute of Jazz Studies, Bob Porter and Billy Vera.

Masters appear courtesy of Capitol Records, Inc.

This compilation (p) 2007 EMI Music Special Markets. Manufactured by EMI Music Special Markets, 1750 Vine Street, Hollywood, California 90028. All rights reserved. Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws. Printed in the U.S.A.

© 2007 Mosaic Records, L.L.C. All rights reserved.