Unusual Grant Green review on the Blue Note Website

Steve Gray

Reviewer: emperor nobody, worst nightmare of music"industry" from California Green

You just can't get it, can you? Year after year goes by, and person after person comes on here and says the same thing, over and over, about Visions, Shades of Green, Green Acid, whatever, all the unreissued GG gems, and you don't even respond. You just issue the same redundant thing over and over like you don't even care. You're probably sitting there in your plush office reading this aloud to your porcine co-workers, themselves drunk with power and false pride over just how incredibly cool you all are working for a biiiiiiiiig record label, all of you laughing with hubris and derision at the hapless comments like this one. But you know what, swine? The joke is on you. Because the day will come when big fat pig record labels that have eliminated any attention whatsoever to the actual music they possess and have instead chosen to pursue it all as a 101% profit-motivated enterprise... the day will come when you will be as obsolete as the "product" you keep putting out. The internet is speeding that day ever closer, and I cannot wait for the day when you're not snickering to yourselves anymore and are out on the street, jobless. Because when you get right down to the truth of it, you idiots ain't making any money with these dumbass compilations... I see them in the cutout bins every day. The truth of it is that you hate the people who make the music and have such utter contempt for the people that buy it, your actual customers, as you sit up there and decide just exactly how bland and homogenized and incomplete and lifeless the cultural content of this country is destined to become.... that soon there will be no need for you anymore. What you are doing is a crime against humanity and beauty. How is it that at one time or another every single BN album has been reissued in Japan, yet your catalog Stateside is not even half-reissued merely 25 years into the CD/digital era? Have you no pride, no balls, no shame? If I had the time and the martial arts skills, I'd break ninja-style into the warehouse where you keep all the masters of all the trascendent music you have entirely NO intention of ever showing the light of day, and I'd take them, remaster them in a studio, and release them on the internet FOR FREE, just to hasten the day that you sorry pigs are OUT OF BUSINESS, forever. This is the new fascist America right here, where the corporations rewrite history (through, in this case, intentional omissions from the catalog of one of the greatest guitarists ever to play) and attempt to homogenize the culture into a one-dimensional caricature of itself because they love money and power just so much. Count the days until you are finished, pigs, count them carefully.

Is that Aric?

I was thinking the same thing - Aric w/o the Chewy persona. The "breaking into the warehouse" line sounded familiar...

There was a time when stuff like this would last about a week or so before it got 86-ed. Let's see how long ti takes now. What with all the cutbacks, hell, it might linger there indefinitely.

Bruce Lundvall is the real deal, & done all sortsa weird, interesting things in the biz...

Absolutely, but there are "murmurs" that he knows better than most that "it's over" & is now just looking to ride it out into the final sunset as painlessly as possible.

Which, all things considered, is not exactly a totally unsympathetic position.

an EXCELLENT rant but hello hello, Chewy is too young to drop "cut-out bins" in there like that + there are dozens of other textual clues it ain't him even in character. FACT: there are puh-lenty of people who feel similarly & tho' Bruce Lundvall is the real deal, & done all sortsa weird, interesting things in the biz, there's more truth to there than less (which ain't to say it's "all" "true.") edc DEFIES any youse who have met or spoken to an Capitol/EMI sales rep, A&R person etc anytime in the last ten (20-30) years to tell him differently-- it's an ugly, aspiring-to-insipd biz. (& no, an occasional e-mail or brief conversation w/Cuscuna doesn't count, we're talkin' the mother(fucker)ship, & no no, edc didn't write it either.)

Wasn't me either. I've got a friend who can write like that - and would about the GG material. I briefly wondered whether it was him. But he hasn't got a computer and doesn't have access to one.

MG

Gentleman of Color, (Whiteness), could it be that one among you has escaped the gentle and moderate mentorship of the board. Someone who is as 'mad as hell' and is 'not going to take it anymore'. Someone whose pleasure is being controlled. Indeed creating the conditions of possibility for him to 'enjoy' the 'Green Acid' only indeed if he has 'stolen it'. If it is formerly one of your own then you have a civic duty to save him from himself, for, we have all heard the missed oportunity that was the fusion of Mozart and Idris, or the Fiddler on the Roof Strings with Grant. Admittedley I did canvas the idea covertly amongst a certain board member some time ago that we arrange an Oceans Eleven type heist to get these goodies to Gambit, and am distraught that someone may have gotton access to my nascent plans. Admittedly I was going to test run the procedure on getting the Left Bank Patton/Green/Vick/Walker tapes first. It appears though, that this poster is angrier, nastier and holds these suits as fully accountable criminals. Deserving of nothing more than full martial arts destruction at the hands fully trained fighting ninjas. If this brazen plan works we can look forward to the emancipation of all the unknown sessions with 24bit transfer and extra tracks. Released as budget two fers on Gambit. With new liner notes as well. If it fails we will never hear Grant doing Topaz in 24bit ever....again. Nor will the many trainwrecks ever find their way to the public domain. There appears to be much to be gained but so much to lose if it all goes wrong. And people could get hurt too.

Gentleman of Color, (Whiteness), could it be that one among you has escaped the gentle and moderate mentorship of the board. Someone who is as 'mad as hell' and is 'not going to take it anymore'. Someone whose pleasure is being controlled. Indeed creating the conditions of possibility for him to 'enjoy' the 'Green Acid' only indeed if he has 'stolen it'. If it is formerly one of your own then you have a civic duty to save him from himself, for, we have all heard the missed oportunity that was the fusion of Mozart and Idris, or the Fiddler on the Roof Strings with Grant. Admittedley I did canvas the idea covertly amongst a certain board member some time ago that we arrange an Oceans Eleven type heist to get these goodies to Gambit, and am distraught that someone may have gotton access to my nascent plans. Admittedly I was going to test run the procedure on getting the Left Bank Patton/Green/Vick/Walker tapes first. It appears though, that this poster is angrier, nastier and holds these suits as fully accountable criminals. Deserving of nothing more than full martial arts destruction at the hands fully trained fighting ninjas. If this brazen plan works we can look forward to the emancipation of all the unknown sessions with 24bit transfer and extra tracks. Released as budget two fers on Gambit. With new liner notes as well. If it fails we will never hear Grant doing Topaz in 24bit ever....again. Nor will the many trainwrecks ever find their way to the public domain. There appears to be much to be gained but so much to lose if it all goes wrong. And people could get hurt too.

Gee, never thought of it that way (those ways).

I understand the frustration with music being unavailable, but I don't think Cuscuna deserves this rant at all.

Consider this: Cuscuna has reissued on CD EVERY SINGLE Grant Green Blue Note album recorded from 1960-1966 and released during Green's lifetime-whether he served as leader OR sideman. In addition, he has published numerous Green sessions recorded during this period which were previously unissued (even the first session rejected by Lion 1960).

Most agree that Green's next stint at Blue Note, from 1969-72, is slight in comparison. Overtly commercial, sometimes overdubbed, repetitive vamps on a single chord with lesser sidemen ("lesserlights") than during the earlier classic period. That's not to say it shouldn't be made available, but it is understandably a lesser priority for a a corporate umbrella label that has vast holdings to reissue from numerous imprints. Still despite these obstacles, Cuscuna has reissued many dates from this lesser period, even sonically upgrading "Alive" and "Lighthouse," as well releasing (just last year) the 71 Mozambique sessions.

Japan is a different market. It has greater population mass/concentration, which overcomes the distribution nightmares of the massive U.S. CD retail network.

With the steadily progressing death of retail brick and mortar CD retailers assisted by the Internet and iPod, this may enable Blue Note to someday make the entire catalog available online for download--thereby circumventing the production, shipping distribution obstacles.

Edited by monkboughtlunch

What I find amusing about this is that this 'review' is just the kind of thing for which they closed down the old bulletin board.

I wonder how long it will be before they stop allowing anyone to post a review there.

I was wondering about that, but I was never a member of that board, so I wasn't sure.

MG