Unusual Grant Green review on the Blue Note Website

Steve Gray

I think the real reason they shut down the old BNBB was all the anti-Norah Jones rants. I really couldn't blame them if that were the reason. Imagine if this BB was full of anti-Organissimo rants - how long do you think this would remain online?

Gentleman of Color, (Whiteness), could it be that one among you has escaped the gentle and moderate mentorship of the board. Someone who is as 'mad as hell' and is 'not going to take it anymore'. Someone whose pleasure is being controlled. Indeed creating the conditions of possibility for him to 'enjoy' the 'Green Acid' only indeed if he has 'stolen it'. If it is formerly one of your own then you have a civic duty to save him from himself, for, we have all heard the missed oportunity that was the fusion of Mozart and Idris, or the Fiddler on the Roof Strings with Grant. Admittedley I did canvas the idea covertly amongst a certain board member some time ago that we arrange an Oceans Eleven type heist to get these goodies to Gambit, and am distraught that someone may have gotton access to my nascent plans. Admittedly I was going to test run the procedure on getting the Left Bank Patton/Green/Vick/Walker tapes first. It appears though, that this poster is angrier, nastier and holds these suits as fully accountable criminals. Deserving of nothing more than full martial arts destruction at the hands fully trained fighting ninjas. If this brazen plan works we can look forward to the emancipation of all the unknown sessions with 24bit transfer and extra tracks. Released as budget two fers on Gambit. With new liner notes as well. If it fails we will never hear Grant doing Topaz in 24bit ever....again. Nor will the many trainwrecks ever find their way to the public domain. There appears to be much to be gained but so much to lose if it all goes wrong. And people could get hurt too.

Sorry TOPAL .........topaz was the acne cream I used when I was fifteen. Before I'd even heard of GG or Blue Note.

Seems even the Japanese are winding down their reissues now. I would so like to have litle mini lps of all the late sixties/seventies stuff too. Do you think BN would be transfering/remastering everything in the archives as a matter of course, even if there were no immediate plans for reissue? And yeh it has been great to be able to have regular reissues of GG happen over the last decade or so. Really everything that is vital to his and others ongoing legacies is or has been out there at some point. It seems as if the people that care have really done their best over this time.

The emperor speaks elsewhere: http://www.bluenote.com/detail.asp?SelectionID=10411

PATHETIC MUSIC INDUSTRY PIGS, GET A JOB!

Reviewer: emperor nobody from Oakland, CA

Not only won't they kick down the Visions/Shades of Green/Final Comedown/Green Acid sessions they are sitting on like fat, petrified piglets, they DARE to release these piffle compilations with ERRORS in them! What the matter, music industry pigs, afraid no one will buy reissues of actual ALBUMS that are MISSING from the catalog of a great artist like GG? Afraid the stinking cigar-chomping moron above you will fire you if you don't come up with ideas for "product" that will buy him another big house in the Alps? YOU are the thief, not the downloaders and CD duplicators. Maybe you should think about releasing something worth half a sh*t instead of this redundant defective crap, presumably directed as it is at middle-class housewives with a passing interest in music. Face it, you know NOT A THING about the beautiful music you have, by some

Edited by JSngry

Looks like you messed up the copy and paste there, Jim. The complete final sentence:

Face it, you know NOT A THING about the beautiful music you have, by some cruel ironic twist of ugly fate, come into control of issuing to a hungry public. PLEASE DIE SOON.

What is this unreleased "Acid Green" session he and others refer to?

Looks like you messed up the copy and paste there, Jim. The complete final sentence:

Face it, you know NOT A THING about the beautiful music you have, by some cruel ironic twist of ugly fate, come into control of issuing to a hungry public. PLEASE DIE SOON.

It's one he did before "Shades of Green". There's a previous thread on this which I think gives details. But it comes out funny - perhaps my browser.

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...w=&st=&

MG

Grant Green Quintet

Claude Bartee (ts) Emmanuel Riggins (org) Grant Green (g) Herbie Lewis (b) Idris Muhammad (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, May 29, 1970

6478 I Can't Leave Your Love Alone Blue Note unissued

6479 Let Yourself Go -

6480 Love On A Two-Way Street -

6481 Green Acid -

6482 Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head -

6483 Something -

6484 Let It Rain -

Green Acid is one of the early second period sessions that remained in the can. Full session details can be found at jazzdisco. What I remember as being interesting is that it has Herbie Lewis on upright bass, if the sessionography is correct. So I think it might be closest in spirit to 'carryn on' perhaps. Which incidentaly is a session that would very much benefit from a remaster, and has some not insignificant tunes and performances on it. IMHO. But soundwise is the weakest I think.

It's one he did before "Shades of Green". There's a previous thread on this which I think gives details. But it comes out funny - perhaps my browser.

MG

Oh sorry Mg it's quite a later session than I realised. But it is strange for Herbie Nichols to be in there on Double Bass. Wonder what the context for that was and how it might have influenced the ensemble. ie is it slightly unique compared to he other sesions from this time.

MG

Oh sorry Mg it's quite a later session than I realised. But it is strange for Herbie Nichols to be in there on Double Bass. Wonder what the context for that was and how it might have influenced the ensemble. ie is it slightly unique compared to he other sesions from this time.

Well, Herbie Lewis was a very funky bass player, as you can hear on his recordings with Les McCann. But frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't turn out to be Jimmy Lewis on bass.

MG

MG

It comes out funny here too... and since clicking on that link every other thread does as well... :mellow:

Indeed very strange for Herbie Nichols to be on the upright bass on that sessions since he was quite a while dead already and I've heard his bass playing wasn't that great to begin with........

Yeh well I meant to type Herbie Lewis. If it 'was' Herbie Nicholls on bass then it 'would' have been really 'interesting' and probably would have been released by now. It didn't happen.

Edited by freelancer

I think the real reason they shut down the old BNBB was all the anti-Norah Jones rants. I really couldn't blame them if that were the reason. Imagine if this BB was full of anti-Organissimo rants - how long do you think this would remain online?

If they were constructive, I wouldn't have a problem. Besides, I think most people here would back us up. If they were just mindless rants, then I'd probably delete them CUZ IM GOD OF TEH FORUMS! LOLZ PWND!

Guest donald petersen

what was jimmy lewis' deal? was he the only guy in new york who owned an electric bass? he's on so many of rare groove-ish "funky" blue note and prestige sessions and he is pretty damn boring. i guess that was his job, though. just sort of hold it down. but he never does anything to grab the ear...pretty basic stuff.

what was jimmy lewis' deal? was he the only guy in new york who owned an electric bass? he's on so many of rare groove-ish "funky" blue note and prestige sessions and he is pretty damn boring. i guess that was his job, though. just sort of hold it down. but he never does anything to grab the ear...pretty basic stuff.

Wasn't Jimmy Lewis a tag-team with Idris Muhammed during this time. I seem to remember liner notes saying they were the rhythm section for Hair at the time.