Ethics question -- leaving furniture on the street

I am moving out of New Haven in the next few days and do not intend to keep my furniture. Is it ethical for me just to leave it on the sidewalk in front of my apartment building? I'm sure somebody will pick it up over the next week.

Guy

There's probably nothing wrong with it, but your neighbors might not appreciate it. There are websites out there where you can tell people you have stuff you want to give away, and they'll come get it. I can't remember the name of the biggest one right now, but you could probably google and find it fairly easily. That might be a better alternative.

In Germany this is done regularly. There are regular, advertised nights that you are allowed to put your stuff out on the street, and it's free to anyone who wants it. I forget the German name for it (we called it "junking"). It's a competitive sport for alot of people.

In Germany this is done regularly. There are regular, advertised nights that you are allowed to put your stuff out on the street, and it's free to anyone who wants it. I forget the German name for it (we called it "junking"). It's a competitive sport for alot of people.

Competitive, indeed. Reminds me of a night when a friend and I spotted a great table. We decided to take it if it was still there when we returned from the movie. It was, and two families were engaged in a heated argument about it. We decided to solve their problem and walked away with the table.

That used to be common in NYC of the 1950s/60s. People threw away really good pieces. I actually furnished my first apartment from the curbside stores, except my bed--there is a limit.

I'm sure it isn't as common as it used to be, but it still happens quite a bit. A friend got a complete set of 50s Eames chairs off the street a few years ago.