have another pepsi?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

I grew up in Yorkshire and the generic term for carbonated soft drinks was 'pop'. No other word was used.

A request for 'soda' would not have been understood, other than some vague idea about Caustic Soda or Sodium Bicarbonate.

Soda Water was, of course, available but almost entirely in a syphon at a bar, used to make Whisky & Soda.

1 hour ago, kinuta said:

I grew up in Yorkshire and the generic term for carbonated soft drinks was 'pop'. No other word was used.

A request for 'soda' would not have been understood, other than some vague idea about Caustic Soda or Sodium Bicarbonate.

Soda Water was, of course, available but almost entirely in a syphon at a bar, used to make Whisky & Soda.

Same in Canada when I was growing up. 

4 hours ago, kinuta said:

An order of 'soda' up North would probably have got you a bag full of sickly sherbet ! Or an ice cream soda..