Maria Schneider - Sky Blue (artistshare)

king ubu

Just got the mail that finally the new disc by Maria Schneider, titled "Sky Blue", has been shipped my way!

The disc is available via Schneider's website here: http://www.mariaschneider.com/

I am quite sure it will be a great one, judging on the last album I have heard ("Concert in the Garden") and a bunch of fairly recent live broadcasts, too!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received a copy of the new Maria Schneider Orchestra CD "Sky Blue" in the mail yesterday and I have been playing it in constant rotation since. From my initial evaluation, this is a fantastic CD with beautiful arrangements and lush orchestration. Of particular notice are the opener "The 'Pretty' Road" with a tasteful piano intro by Frank Kimbrough and "Rich's Piece" with some very lovely tenor contributed by Rich Perry.

Really there are no weak tracks on the CD as the extended "Cerulean Skies" and the title track "Sky Blue" also stand out with some great playing by Ben Monder and understated contributions by Jay Anderson.

While it is still early in the year, from the initial spins, this is the best new CD I have heard so far!

Go to Artist Share and get a copy. You won't be sorry.

LWayne :excited:

Just received a copy of the new Maria Schneider Orchestra CD "Sky Blue" in the mail yesterday and I have been playing it in constant rotation since. From my initial evaluation, this is a fantastic CD with beautiful arrangements and lush orchestration. Of particular notice are the opener "The 'Pretty' Road" with a tasteful piano intro by Frank Kimbrough and "Rich's Piece" with some very lovely tenor contributed by Rich Perry.

Really there are no weak tracks on the CD as the extended "Cerulean Skies" and the title track "Sky Blue" also stand out with some great playing by Ben Monder and understated contributions by Jay Anderson.

While it is still early in the year, from the initial spins, this is the best new CD I have heard so far!

Go to Artist Share and get a copy. You won't be sorry.

LWayne :excited:

i have heard most of sky blue and it is my cd of 2007. i cannot imagine that a more beautiful one will be made this year.

the musicians are playing their souls out.

maria's studies with bob brookmeyer and gil evans have served her well.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I just spent about half an hour listening to the first 4 minutes of Cerulean Skies... Others may have different needs (including myself on different days), but here and now that shit hits me where I live. Or where I would like to live: immersed in beauty.

A simple song-like melody repeated with juicier and juicier harmonies. Love the way those voicings sound in the accordian first time through. Of course, as soon as Luciana's voice is heard, well... :wub:

The band sounds really in tune on this recording, too, playing with great confidence and a sense of, well, play.

Can't wait to sit in front of this band and get carried away.

I just spent about half an hour listening to the first 4 minutes of Cerulean Skies... Others may have different needs (including myself on different days), but here and now that shit hits me where I live. Or where I would like to live: immersed in beauty.

A simple song-like melody repeated with juicier and juicier harmonies. Love the way those voicings sound in the accordian first time through. Of course, as soon as Luciana's voice is heard, well... :wub:

The band sounds really in tune on this recording, too, playing with great confidence and a sense of, well, play.

Can't wait to sit in front of this band and get carried away.

record of this year. will be an alltime aloc fav. especially love cuts 4 and 5.

the mitchell, abrams, lewis 'streaming' is a very close second.

Of course, as soon as Luciana's voice is heard, well... :wub:

Maria really does use Luciana's beautiful voice to maximum advantage. My ears have become so attuned to her presence that even in dense musical passages I can hear when Luciana enters and exits.

To my ears, Cerulian Skies is yet another of Maria's masterpieces.

The way she uses soloists to bridge the story line played by the ensemble, and the way she vizualizes that in the liner notes, gives the individual musician a more important role in her music than "merely" playing a solo on changes.

Her use of the warbler recordings -- what did Dolphy say?

The way she uses soloists to bridge the story line played by the ensemble, and the way she vizualizes that in the liner notes, gives the individual musician a more important role in her music than "merely" playing a solo on changes.

Her use of the warbler recordings -- what did Dolphy say?

I can't remember what Dolphy said offhand, but yes, Maria's music is clearly romantic in the classical sense.

Edit: Too bad Mike Fitzgerald doesn't post here anymore; I'm sure he'd have lots to say.

Edited by Joe G