Blindfold Test Announcements

Dan Gould

1. Jim R. has accepted the assignment of producing and distributing Test #3. Let's give it up for Mr. Jim R.! Now, start studying the old geetar and those Brazilian folks, or Jim done gonna make a fool outa y'all!! :g

2. I continue to accept requests for Blindfold Test #2, but please try to get them to me via PM by this Friday, September 12.

3. Discs are now being sent to points outside of the US in order to get a head start on delivery so that you non-American blokes won't feel so far behind. I am also shipping to my designated helpers, Brad and Jim R., so that they will have the disc on hand a little sooner and will hopefully be able to take care of the latecomers after I have exhausted my stash of 25 burns. All other US participants will ship by Friday or perhaps Saturday. Assuming this works as well as I've laid it out, this might be an approach worth duplicating in the future. B)

Edited by Dan Gould

1. Jim R. has accepted the assignment of producing and distributing Test #3. Let's give it up for Mr. Jim R.! Now, start studying the old geetar and those Brazilian folks, or Jim done gonna make a fool outa y'all!! :g

I, for one, would enjoy getting an education in both of those genres.

Actually, Tom, they are working too well, I've gotten 4 of them so far!

Could you e-mail me so we can discuss this?

dangould@hotmail.com

Thanks!

And folks, please use the above e-mail for signups, as the PM system is a bit screwy right now. Thanks.

Edited by Dan Gould

Dan, did I sign up for BF2? I thought I had, but I have a sudden doubt. My efforts to PM or email you via the board are not working today for some reason.

Tom,

since I am not sure if the PM function is working, I'll get the message to you this way:

I've exhausted my budget for European deliveries, however, couw has graciously agreed to send you a burn as soon as he receives his copy, so you should be taken care of, probably by the end of next week.

Thanks

Dan

'Bout to leave for the Post Office. Here's the complete list of participants whose discs have been mailed:

US:

RDK

Dr J

b3-er

jmjk

paul secor

Peter Johnson

Tom in RI

Alexander

Soul Stream

randyhersom

Jsngrey

Rooster_Ties

Jim R.

Brad

Noj

Jazzmoose

Dmitry

Outside the US:

mikeweil

couw

DanielA

Gary

Kenny weir

mmilovan

White Lightning

paul

Latecomers mailed by Brad or Jim R.:

Jim Dye

Sundog

relyles

Good luck to all. I'm on vacation from now through the 22nd but I plan to check in on the discussion as it develops next week.

Thanks, couw, forgot about Tom!

Its twice as many as went out the first time, in the first wave. However, there were at least 20 all told who got discs after things got interesting and they wanted to participate. So, I'd say we are up about 50% overall, it will be interesting to see if after all this discussion about it, there are still more people who get inspired to participate after things get going.

• 3 weeks later...

World Scrabble Championships?? Damn! It's amazing the number of unusually talented people one meets on these boards. By which I mean both more talented than usual and possessing a talent which is unusual...

I have Scrabble at home in the French edition. Weird. The French use all these obscure verb forms which would never occur to me, and I keep instinctively wanting to use English words, but can't! It's so frustrating.

Randy (and to all concerned), I don't have a very specific time frame in mind as of yet. I've been working on getting my music choices together, and I sort of envisioned keeping fairly close to the timetable set by Tony and Dan, which would mean getting things started sometime in the first half of October. That's about at precisely as I've thought about it thus far. I'm open to any and all suggestions, especially from Dan, who has demonstrated that he is WAY more organized than I am. B)

Oh, and I might as well announce that Tom Storer has offered to be the point man in Europe (thanks again, Tom :tup ). I will send a copy of the disc to Tom, and he will be burning some discs for some of our European members (and hopefully coordinating the rest of the European distribution).

BTW Tom, I replied to your PM several days ago, but haven't received an e-mail back from you yet. I hope you received the PM...

Yes, I'll be playing. The tournament will be in English using a combination of the US word source and one of British origin based on The Chambers Dictionary.

Having been beaten by Malaysia's Mr. Ganesh Asirvatham in '99 in Melbourne, Australia, I can assure you that they play a wicked game of Scrabble in English in Malaysia. The Southeast Asia players I have met have generally been able to converse well in English also. It's generally accepted that the world's largest Scrabble tournament is held in Thailand each year, using English word sources, with lots of schoolchildren in the field.

We just had a North American All-Stars tournament which is supposed to be televised on ESPN November 2.