what cant you skimp on?

we all try to be thrifty, but there are items we all hold sacred where we dont even consider their cost..

maybe it's peanut butter or wheels or sneakers or speakers or nice hair or wine or jewelry or fishing equipment or a fine pad or our education or music, but we all have loves where cost doesnt count.

it might be interesting to learn what those items are to some of us.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

My education, and although I have a problem putting a price on learning, I am in the six figures in loans, and I'm really worried when my wife comprehends that debt. :mellow:

my grandson is that way, and he is working like hell to get a bachelors in 3 years just to save money.

I didn't have to take out loans until my master's, it's my Phd that's costing a fortune.

Four years ago we decided as a family to put quality of life ahead of quantity of income. We packed up the family left the bay area. Our income was half of what it had been and less than a third of when we had both been working.

Scaling back on travel and clothes wasn't fun but didn't kill us. My music is mostly acquired by trading in records and stereo equipment I get from thrift stores for store credit at my local used vinyl shop. Not ideal, but i get what I need.

Food was and is the killer. Once you getting use to eating fresh healthy food it is hard to go back. If I was offered a $500 gift certificate to Nordstrom's or the local market that focuses on locally sourced and organic foods I wouldn't blink and just pray that some fresh morel mushrooms would be waiting in the produce section.

My education, and although I have a problem putting a price on learning, I am in the six figures in loans, and I'm really worried when my wife comprehends that debt. :mellow:

guess that's the educational system the want to change ours to... grrrrr

Cat food. My seventeen year old tortoiseshell cat is picky and I indulge her with the best.

Coffee. I'm addicted to an organic Mexican coffee roasted here in Austin, Ruta Maya.

Stereo equipment. I've lived beyond my means in this department, but it has paid off handsomely.

Food, music (although I stopped buying CDs for now)...special basketball grooming products.

I have a bunch of musical eq, but I've held off on blowing real big money on guitars. Folks get real crazy with that, no Custom Shop Strats or Teles, no thousands for custom arch top for me.

more later, when and if I think of them.

Well, I certainly don't skimp on buying recordings, although I have become much more patient and will now often wait until a better price surfaces (unless I have to have it RIGHT NOW! :crazy:).

I've also become a bit more selective and try to avoid extreme impulse buying, and the need to have "everything" by certain artists. This is quite difficult to do when hanging around this place!

I also try not to skimp on:

Coffee (including coffee maker and grinder)

Shoes

Bed (a good mattress is essential)

Some foods (I try to buy organic when possible, especially meat)

Scotch & Tequila (quality is worth the extra $$ :) )

Parentheses (just like Rooster Tom)

Hookers, if you gotta pay for sex, at least do it with someone who has class.

:lol:

this puzzles me.

allaboutjazz and organissimo have no list of ladies of the night with classy musical tastes?

the chicks who dig fletcher henderson, artie shaw, and john kirby are all 90 years old and most of them retired.

Edited by alocispepraluger102