BLINDFOLD TEST #1 ANSWERS HERE

DrJ

I think the best of them all is the original Columbia LP cover (anyone who knows how it ended up on Philips?).

Something about "Columbia" already being a trademark for some other company in European markets, or something like that, and CBS (once the owner of Columbia) distributing their American Columbia stuff through European Phillips.

As you can tell, I don't have a good grasp of the specifics.

Duh! I knew about that Columbia cover, but had forgotten. It's MUCH better than the Philips watercolor, you're correct! Oh well, the paper sleeve edition sounds great anyway...

Jim, I see the Jazz in Paris CDs at most Tower stores for about $10, and you can usually find them through Dusty Groove or, if all else fails, might try Amazon France.

that Columbia cover is very nice indeed Daniel, thanks for sharing

I just got my brother's old scanner this week, so I'm still just scanning for fun!

Re: The Jazz in Paris Series. These have been available for 5-7 dollars all along over here. It might even be cheaper to have me send them across the Atlantic! What's the price for these in the rest of Europe?

Edited by Daniel A

I'm going to have to see if I can find that Barney Wilen. Those "Jazz in Paris" discs are sold up here from 7-10 dollars (Cdn).

Speaking of the Wilen, I kept wanting to say it was Clifford Jordan, but there was just a little something missing. I really dig his (Wilen's) playing, though. I think the tone/sound is closer to Dexter, although some of the phrases were closer to Jordan's.

I guessed the J.J. one, Stuff Smith, and that's about it. Hopefully I'll do better next time.

The J.J. Mosaic is one I've coveted for a long time, but it seems it's never right at the "top" of the Mosaic to-get list. For sure, I'll get it before it goes OOP.

Well, I didn't do as badly as I had feared - I was pretty much on the mark with "Jitterbug Waltz," although I didn't catch Woods instead of Cannonball and I had no idea it was Michel Legrand. I got Stephane Grappelli on "How High the Moon" and Joe Henderson on the quintet thing with Ponomarev. My other guesses were wrong but not *too* wrong.

I should have recognized Wilen, whose work I admire. Jaspar and Hayes I don't know well enough either. The Gaslini marimba/piano thing was the discovery for me - I'll have to look him up. And the marimba player, too!

Good selection on this test!

This is fun! Now I'm looking forward to Blindfold #2!

Yep, I figured that one, along with the Namyslowski, would be a real stumper and it was. In fairness to Gaslini, as I mentioned what I had room for on the CD was only an excerpt from a larger suite, so there is probably a little less sense of completeness/cohesiveness than there otherwise is when you hear the whole piece. I think many people who felt it sounded thrown together or lacking in some way might enjoy it more within the full context.

When I posted my guesses last night, I said I was humbled by the disc, and now I feel even more so. I actually have the Oscar Aleman double CD and the Legrand on LP, and didn't guess either (tho I did pick up on Phil Woods). I haven't listened to the Legrand recording in years, so I guess I have an excuse there, but I listened to the entire Aleman within the past six months. Shame on me.

I'm definitely picking up the Grappelli/Stuff CD, and I'll look for the Ibraham/Brand (possibly my favorite cut on the disc - I only have recordings of him with horns) and the Wilen.

Thanks, Dr. J., for an enjoyable time (at times it seemed like work, but it was fun, overall). And thanks for introducing me to some new things. For me, that's the main point of the Blindfold Test.

• 4 months later...

7) Zbigniew Namyslowski – “Piekna Lola, Kwiat Polnocy (Beautiful Lola, Flower of the North)”(Namyslowski) 6:37

Lola (Decca)

Zbigniew Namyslowski – alto sax, Wlodzimierz Gulgowski – piano, Tadeusz Wojcik – bass, Czeslaw Bartowski – drums. August 1964

I was thrilled that a) this one stumped so many people and b ) that just about everyone really loved it! Simply put, Namyslowksi was BAD!!! This CD has seldom left the multichanger since I found it at Dusty Groove a few months back. It’s all this good, there’s even a tongue-in-cheek yet simultaneously compelling take on the blues. Distinctive tone and phrasing, definite Eastern European overtones to the music, creative writing, and a killer trio backing him. You owe it to yourself to hear him on two other great recordings: WINOBRANIE (Power Bros), an early 70’s date where he’s more aggressive and slightly more “out,” playing with somewhat stronger Polish folk music overtones; and Kryzstof Komeda’s landmark ASTIGMATIC (Power Bros) recording from right around the same time as LOLA. Both can be had from Cadence, and LOLA is still at Dusty Groove.

namysl_zbig_lola~~~~~_101b.jpg

Up, just in case anyone still wants it, its back on the new arrivals list at the Groove.

Well, I hesitated, because it's going for $25 (Japanese import). I REALLY liked the cut, but $25 is over my usual "willing to pay" range. But I took a look at those sweaters, and that was all the nudge I needed. I mean, I can get PLENTY of great jazz for less than $25, but for sweaters like that, I'm gonna have to venture into Andy Williams land, which will come at a much greater cost, I'm sure. If not in dollars...

Dusty Groove strikes again. The bastards!