(RIP) Is Jack Wilson (Atlantic & Blue Note 60s pianist) dead?

monkboughtlunch

As a follow on to my earlier post about the album "The Jazz Organs," here are comparisons of the correct track times on my 1960s Vault original vinyl pressing vs the digital (and possibly a bootleg) version published in 2010 by Essential Media Group that errantly sped up the entire album.     

For example, on the original 1960s Vault LP, the song Street Scene has a correct run time of 7:47.

But on the 2010 digital releases of this album published by the mysterious company Essential Media Group LLC, the run time is only 5:43 for the song Street Scene.  

The entire 2010 digital release of the album The Jazz Organs available on iTunes and Amazon runs fast because Essential Media Group played a vinyl LP at 45 RPM instead of 33 RPM when they made their (is this a bootleg?) digital transfer.  

BELOW: ORIGINAL LP BACK COVER WITH CORRECT TRACK TIMES

jazzorgansback.jpg

And for comparison, below are the sped up track times on Apple iTunes for the album The Jazz Organs published by the company Essential Media Group.  Note the shorter track times than the original LP release.  That's because Essential Media Group sourced their transfer by playing a 33 RPM record at an incorrect speed of 45 RPM.

BELOW:  APPLE ITUNES TRACK TIMES FROM LABEL "ESSENTIAL MEDIA GROUP LLC" WHICH SPED UP ALL SONGS BY ERRANTLY PLAYING A VINYL RECORD AT 45 RPM INSTEAD OF 33 RPM, CAUSING ALL SONGS TO RUN 29.8% FAST. 

bootorgan.jpg

Edited by monkboughtlunch

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, monkboughtlunch said:

As a follow on to my earlier post about the album "The Jazz Organs," here are comparisons of the correct track times on my 1960s Vault original vinyl pressing vs the digital bootleg version published in 2010 by Essential Media Group that errantly sped up the entire album.     

I just cancelled my order of "The Jazz Organs" after reading your post.

The same label reissued Wilson's "Brazilian Mancini" - did they mess it up, too? Another needle drop, I suppose?

On 1/15/2019 at 11:02 AM, mikeweil said:

I just cancelled my order of "The Jazz Organs" after reading your post.

The same label reissued Wilson's "Brazilian Mancini" - did they mess it up, too? Another needle drop, I suppose?

I don't own Brazilian Mancini.  From the online sound samples, the 2010 Essential Media Group digital release of Brazilian Mancini is a needle drop.  That one appears to run at correct speed, but the vinyl transfer sounds awful.

Candidly, I wouldn't buy any digital release from Essential Media Group.  Not only are their vinyl transfers awful (and can run at the wrong speed), it's questionable if these are even legal releases and if Jack's Estate / widow even gets a cent.

Better to track down an original used 1960s vinyl LP pressing until it gets a proper digital release.

Poor Jack.  The following Jack Wilson digital reissues are sourced from vinyl LP sources.  Most if not all of these are published on digital by dubious record labels which may be pirating Jack's music for profit.

Does anyone know if Essential Media Group LLC is operating legally with Jack's music?

BELOW: Digital releases dubbed from vinyl records by questionable record labels

1. Ramblin' (bootleg label: Fresh Sound Spain).  This originally was published on Vault circa 1966, and the masters are owned by Warner / Rhino.  No legal CD has ever been published to my knowledge.
2. The Jazz Organs  (Essential Media Group LLC) This originally was published on Vault circa 1964 and the masters are owned by Warner / Rhino.  No legal CD has ever been published by Warner/Rhino to my knowledge.  Essential Media Group dubbed an LP at the wrong speed (causing it to run 29.8% fast) and put it up for sale on iTunes and Amazon.
3. Brazilian Mancini (Essential Media Group LLC) This originally was published on Vault circa 1965 and the masters are owned by Warner / Rhino.  No legal CD has ever been published Warner/Rhino to my knowledge.
4. Live at the Pied Piper (Interplay Records).  This 1967 live gig was apparently published years later on vinyl under the name of bassist Ike Isaacs.  I'm not sure what label originally released this or owns it. Unclear if the 2011 Japanese CD is a bootleg, but it is certainly a needle drop.

If you Google Essential Media Group LLC, it appears they are being sued, alleging they unlawfully and without permission used and claimed ownership of a copyrighted song.

While this lawsuit pertains to another artist, note that on Apple iTunes, Essential Media Group LLC claims copyright ownership of Jack Wilson's album "The Jazz Organs."  Is Essential Media Group legit?  Do they really own rights to some of Jack's albums?  Or are they stealing from the actual rights holders (presumed to be Vault/Warner/Rhino) and Jack Wilson family/estate as well as the other artists on the album?

Here's an excerpt of the lawsuit being brought against Essential Media Group LLC:

https://www.leagle.com/decision/infdco20180612891

43 NORTH BROADWAY LLC v. ESSENTIAL MEDIA GROUP LLC

I. FACTUAL BACKGROUND

Plaintiff initially filed suit in the District Court for the Central District of California. [D.E. 1]. The Complaint names as the defendant ESSENTIAL MEDIA GROUP, LLC ("Defendant," "Essential Media," or "EMG"), a limited liability company organized and operating in the State of Florida. Id., ¶ 2. Plaintiff 43 NORTH BROADWAY, LLC ("Plaintiff"), a New York corporation, brought suit under the provisions of the Copyright Act of 1976, 17 U.S.C. §§ 101 et seq., claiming that Defendant unlawfully and without Plaintiff's permission used and claimed ownership of the copyrighted song "Baby, I'm Gonna Love You." Id. ¶¶ 1, 7. The Complaint asserts a single cause of action, seeking damages from Essential Media for direct infringement of the copyrighted work. [D.E. 1, p. 3].

Based on the parties' stipulation, the Central District of California transferred the case to this Court on December 14, 2017. [D.E. 15]. Defendant answered the Complaint on January 8, 2018. [D.E. 25]. On March 13, 2018, Plaintiff sought to amend its Complaint and add certain parties to the lawsuit, and that matter is now before this Court. [D.E. 34]. Plaintiff seeks to add Paul Klein, Rama Barwick, and Sharon Klein, individuals allegedly managing Defendant's operation at the time the infringing conduct took place. Id., ¶ 4-5. According to the Motion, the individuals to be added had knowledge, profited, and internally induced EMG's direct infringement. Id. Plaintiff therefore also asks that a second cause of action for secondary copyright infringement against those same individuals be added to the Complaint. Id.

Defendant opposes the Motion, arguing that amendment would be futile because the Amended Complaint fails to plead the necessary elements of a secondary liability claim under the Copyright Act — namely, that the individual officers not only profited from the alleged infringement, but also had the right to and ability to supervise the direct infringer. Id., p. 2. For the reasons stated below, we will allow Plaintiff to amend the Complaint to add the individuals to Count I, but deny the request to add a second count to the Complaint.

Here's an interesting news article about Essential Media Group LLC:

https://norcalrecord.com/stories/511220537-recordings-owner-accuses-florida-company-of-copyright-infringement

Recordings owner accuses Florida company of copyright infringement

By Wadi Reformado Sep 25, 2017

LOS ANGELES — A New York producer of sound recordings is suing a Florida company, alleging copyright infringement.

43 North Broadway LLC filed a complaint Sept. 12 in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California against Essential Media Group LLC, and Does 1 through 10, alleging the defendants wrongly claim ownership of plaintiff's songs "Baby (I'm Gonna Love You)" and "Do Me" and sells them without authorization.

According to the complaint, 43 North Broadway LLC suffered damages from having its work copied without its consent. The plaintiff alleges the defendants illegally use and sell the sound recording.

43 North Broadway seeks trial by jury, profits, injunction against the defendant, legal fees and any other relief the court deems just. It is represented by attorneys Robert S. Besser of Law Offices of Robert S. Besser in Pacific Palisades, California, and by Christopher Chapin of Law Offices of Christopher Chapin in San Rafael, California.

U.S. District Court for the Central District of California case number 2:17-cv-06698-SJO-JC

18 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Thanks for your elaborate response. Could it be the tapes of the Vault label are lost or destroyed? I see unissued recordings in the Lord Disco.

Nice find on that Jack Wilson 45 rpm single!  Hadn't heard that one before.

Can you please post the unissued recordings here from the Lord discography?

According to Greg Lewerke, son of Vault owner Jack Lewerke, the Vault masters are owned by Warner Brothers/Rhino.

The interesting thing is that none of the Jack Wilson Vault digital reissues that were dubbed from vinyl records by dubious record labels such as Fresh Sound Spain and Essential Media Group LLC (based in Florida, USA) make any reference to any copyright held by Warner Brothers / Rhino.

That suggests to me that the Fresh Sound and Essential Media Group reissues are of questionable legality.  Hypothetically, even if the Vault tapes are destroyed or missing (and there is no information that says this is the case), any boutique label legally licensing the recording for a reissue would still have to attribute a copyright to Warner Brothers / Rhino.  But there is no such copyright attribution to be found on those digital releases.  This is a red flag and suggests that further investigation may be needed to determine if these "needle drop" releases are legal.

I think Fresh Sound tries to skirt this issue due to copyright law in Europe.  But I think they published Ramblin on CD back in the 1990s -- well within the 50 year window of copyright protection in Europe since Ramblin was first published by Vault in 1966.  Likewise, Essential Media Group LLC issued some Vault material digitally in 2010 -- again well within the 50 year copyright protection window.

I'm inclined to think (and hope) that Warner Brothers / Rhino still has the original master tapes for the Jack Wilson Vault material and just hasn't bothered with reissuing it.

Maybe a respected label like Resonance Records or Mosaic Records etc will someday reach out to Warner Brothers / Rhino to investigate if the Jack Wilson Vault masters survive and then reissue them -- either individually or as part of a larger Wilson retrospective box set.

Ramblin', in particular, is a very strong and enjoyable Vault album which deserves a reissue from the original source tapes.  Perhaps alternates and outtakes from the Ramblin' session may exist as well.  

Jack Wilson (p) + others unknown but most likely Jack Wilson Quartet : Roy Ayers (vib) Jack Wilson (p) Al McKibbon (b) Nick Martinis (d)
  Los Angeles, January 24, 1963
6759 Nirvana & Dana (unissued)   Atlantic
6760 Harbor freeway      -
6761 Smif's blues      -
6748 Herman's helmet      -
6749 Di critifeux      -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corcovado : Jack Wilson Quartet : Roy Ayers (vib) Jack Wilson (p) Al McKibbon (b) Nick Martinis (d)
  New York, February 6, 1963
6794 Corcovado [Quiet nights] Atl LP1406,Discovery DS 872, Atl 5035 (ed)
6795 Nirvana & Dana    -                 -
6796 De cretifeux    -                 -
6797 (Smif's blues) Blues we use    -                 -
6798 Jackleg    -                 -
6750 Harbor freeway    -                 -
6851 unknown title (unissued)
Note: All titles from Atlantic LP1406 also on Atlantic (Jap)AMJY-1406.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Los Angeles, December 5, 1963
7481 Sanctification Atl 5041
7482 Lonely Avenue    -
7483 The night has a thousand eyes (unissued)
7484 Yesterdays      -

................................................................................................................................................................................................

The Two Sides Of Jack Wilson : Jack Wilson (p) Leroy Vinnegar (b), Philly Joe Jones (d)
  Los Angeles, May 13, 1964
7862 Once upon a summertime Atl LP1427, (Jap)AMCY-1154 [CD]
7863 Sometime ago    -        -
7864 Erika (unissued)
7865 The good life Atl LP1427, (Jap)AMCY-1154 [CD]
7866 The end of a love affair    -        -
7867 The scene is clean    -        -
7868 Glass enclosure    -        -
7869 Good time Joe    -        -
7870 Kinta [After you've gone]    -        -
Note: All titles from Atlantic LP1427 also on Atlantic (Jap) AMCY-1427, Collectables COL-CD-6177 [CD]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Lindy Opera House", Los Angeles, August 9, 1964
8122 Yours is my heart alone (unissued)   Atlantic

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8123 The good life (unissued)    Atlantic
8125 The fourth dance      -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8124 Woody'n you (unissued)   Atlantic
8126 Medley:      -
  Young and foolish      -
  Goodbye      -
8127 Oleo      -
8128 Out of sight      -
8129 Most soulful man      -
8130 Walkin'      -
8131 Tenderly      -
8132 Jackleg      -
8133 Medley:      -
  Too late now      -
  CFD      -
8134 Flame on the desert      -
8135 Nirvana      -
8136 Harbor freeway      -

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Los Angeles, September 4, 1964
8156 Blues 'n boogie Vault 108
8157 Spontaneous blues (unissued)
8158 Street scene Vault 108
8159 Juicy (unissued)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Los Angeles, September 4, 1964
8160 My favorite things Vault LP108
8298 One mint julep      -
8299 Far Carl      -
8300 Lonely Avenue      -
8301 Cain's Abel      -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next were Brazilian Mancini and Ramblin' for Vault, no unissued tracks listed with them.

Edited by mikeweil

Thanks for posting mikeweil.

Yeah, the Aug. 9, 1964 quintet at the Lindy looks very promising!

Has anyone confirmed if the unissued Wilson Atlantic stuff survived the February 1978 Atlantic warehouse fire? 

Resonance Records or another respected boutique reissue label should contact Warner / Rhino and investigate which Atlantic/Vault Jack Wilson tapes have survived.  We know, for example, that the "Jack Wilson Quartet featuring Roy Ayers" (1963) and the "Two Sides of Jack Wilson" (1964) have both survived on tape given the legal and excellent sounding compact disc releases published by Warner Japan from tape sources.

Presumably, Atlantic kept it's master tapes in a different facility than the one that burned.  But I've read the 1978 fire impacted a lot of unreleased material across the Atlantic artist portfolio (5,000 - 6,000 tape reels were allegedly destroyed or damaged.)

Also - I wonder if Jack Wilson had any personal tape copies of any of the unreleased Atlantic or Vault sessions.  (John Coltrane, for example, had some personal tape copies which have been commercially published on compact disc due to the original Impulse master tapes being lost.)  Maybe Jack's widow, Sandie, would know if tape or acetate copies of any unissued Jack Wilson Atlantic/Vault material survives in Wilson's own personal archive.

On 11/13/2011 at 0:54 PM, Swinging Swede said:

1967, originally released under Ike Isaacs's name.

The interesting thing about the LP cover of the Pied Piper is that Ike Issacs' leisure suit and afro suggests the cover photo was taken circa the mid-1970s.  Yet the live date was recorded earlier -- back in 1967. 

So did these live Piper tapes sit unpublished for about 10 (or more) years, and then a record label stuck a mid-1970s photo of Ike on the cover?  It makes one wonder what label originally recorded these performances and how they ended up years later on the "R.G.B." label. 

Anyone ever heard of the R.G.B. label and who was behind it?  If so, any ideas on who owns the Pied Piper recordings today?  The 2011 Interplay Records CD was a needle drop.  The 1967 live location recordings were engineered by the legendary Wally Heider.   Maybe the record label (RGB?) still has the original, unedited multitracks from the live shows?  The LP is clearly truncated and heavily edited.  Perhaps complete shows / sets still exist on tape.

Also the title of the original LP was "Ike Isaacs At Freddie Jett's Pied Piper with Jack Wilson and Jimmy Smith."

From Wikipedia, it appears Ike Isaacs passed in 1981.

isaacs_ikei_ikeisaacs_103b.jpg

I highly recommend the new Jack Wilson CD "Call Me: Jazz from the Penthouse" that was released January 18, 2019.  It's a legal release and includes several unpublished photos supplied by Jack's widow Sandie.  Below is a sample of one of the cool photos in the booklet.  This photo looks like an outtake from the Ramblin' cover photo shoot.  The record label is listed as "Century 67 Records" with distribution by "Light in the Attic records and distribution."

This is a fantastic release.  The recording is mono (it was originally intended for radio broadcast) and the radio engineer was mixing on the fly, but the fidelity is very good overall.

On this new release, I'm really digging Jack's inimitable, impressionist, cascading, "sheets of sound" style that he uses to conjure a dreamlike effect on tracks like Harbor Freeway 5 p.m.

Based on the high quality of this 1966 Penthouse release, I hope Century 67 Records will also track down the master tapes (or session reels if they exist) of Ramblin' in the Warner Brothers / Rhino vaults and issue a proper remaster on CD as well.  (It's a shame that the only CD release of Ramblin' currently available is the Fresh Sound Spain needle drop bootleg.)

https://www.amazon.com/Call-Me-Penthouse-JACK-WILSON/dp/B07J3BBYZR

IMG_1164.jpg

Wilson's interpretation of the jazz standard "Here's That Rainy Day" (popularized by Frank Sinatra) on the new "Call Me: Jazz from the Penthouse"  CD is mind-blowing awesome.  After playing the ethereal melody in a relaxed tempo, Wilson then tears into a jaw-dropping, virtuosic and innovative fleet-fingered improvisation coupled with unexpected harmonic chord voicings that never lose sight of the groove.  

I think this new CD is the only published recording of Wilson' tackling this jazz standard and thus makes "Call Me: Jazz from the Penthouse" a highly valuable addition to his discography.

Below is another fantastic unpublished photo of Wilson (courtesy of Jack's wife Sandie) from the CD booklet.  

If you are a fan of Jack Wilson, you will enjoy this excellent new CD!   Buy it!  :)

wilsonseer2.jpg

mikeweil came across this list of unissued Jack Wilson live Blue Note recordings from 1970.  Anyone have any info if these tapes have survived?  Anyone here know Michael Cuscuna and care to ask him about these tapes?

18 hours ago, mikeweil said:

How about these unissued Jack Wilson recordings:

Live "Memory Lane", Los Angeles (Set no. 1), July 8, 1970
  Tears inside (unissued)    Blue Note
  Medley:       -
  Spiritual      -
  Four and one      -
  Street scene      -
  Night mist      -
  Caravan      -
  Soulin'      -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

same pers.
  Live "Memory Lane", Los Angeles (Set no. 2), July 8, 1970
  Medley  (unissued)    Blue Note
  Ahmad's blues      -
  New rhumba      -
  Medley       -
  Something      -
  After supper      -
  Ada      -
  Medley       -
  Little sunflower      -
  Soulin'      -

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

same pers.
  Live "Memory Lane", Los Angeles (Set no. 3), July 8, 1970
  Ramblin' (unissued)    Blue Note
  Squeeze me      -
  Wave      -
  Medley       -
  I hear a rhapsody      -
  Soulin'      -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

same pers.
  Live "Memory Lane", Los Angeles (Set no. 1), July 9, 1970
  Little sunflower (unissued)    Blue Note
  Ramblin'      -
  Night mist      -
  Ada      -
  Soulin'      -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

same pers.
  Live "Memory Lane", Los Angeles (Set no. 2), July 9, 1970
  Ahmad's blues (unissued)    Blue Note
  If it's the last thing I do      -
  Medley       -
  Blues      -
  Wine      -
  Soulin'      -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

same pers.
  Live "Memory Lane", Los Angeles (Set no. 3), July 9, 1970
  Untitled (bass feature) (unissued)    Blue Note
  Street scene      -
  Medley      -
  Soulin'      -

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These were recorded after the "Song For My Daughter" LP on Blue Note, Some of it should be releasable.

I gleaned some information from the image of the back cover of the Ike Isaac's Pied Piper LP on the R.G.B. label.  The image below is from a 1992 Japanese LP pressing.  

It says the live performances on the LP (recorded in 1967 by Wally Heider) were produced by "Red Callender."

From Wikipedia, it appears Red Callender was a member of the L.A. "wrecking crew" and died in 1992.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Callender

The address for "R.G.B. Records" is listed as 731 W. Wilson Glendale, CA 91203 

Hmmm. I wonder what became of the complete, unedited live tapes from the 1967 Pied Piper gig.  The problem with the R.G.B. LP is that it is edited with applause overdubs, and there are post-production fade outs to accommodate the length of an LP.

b-1 copy.jpg

38 minutes ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

I must admit, monkboughtlunch, that I'm somewhat surprised that you don't know Red Callender, and refer to him as though he's obscure?  A man with a career as broad and as long as his, and you put Callender's name in brackets, and say '"it appears.." about him?  Did you not read the Wikipedia item first?

Well, I guess I’m just full of surprises, Ted.  I had not previously heard of Mr. Callender.

From the JAZZDISCO.org website, I highlighted in RED below what appear to be KNOWN unreleased Jack Wilson recordings.  Unclear if any of this unissued material has survived -- or if previously undocumented and additional unissued material survives beyond this list.

As the Ike Isaacs Pied Piper live recordings were edited in post production, and the R.G.B. LP is so brief, it's logical to conclude that more of the 1967 live shows may have been recorded by legendary remote location sound engineer Wally Heider.   Does anyone know if Red Callender owned all of the live Pied Piper tapes (including any outtakes)?

Source: https://www.jazzdisco.org/jack-wilson/discography/

Jack Wilson Discography

1963 (age 27)

Jack Wilson Quartet

Roy Ayers, vibes; Jack Wilson, piano; Al McKibbon, bass; Nick Martinis, drums.
Los Angeles, CA, January 24, 1963
6748 Herman's Helmet Atlantic unissued
6749 Di Critifeux -
6759 Nirvana And Dana -
6760 Harbor Freeway -
6761 Smif's Blues -

The Jack Wilson Quartet Featuring Roy Ayers

same personnel.
Los Angeles, CA, February 6, 1963
6794 Corcovado Atlantic LP 1406
6795 Nirvana And Dana -
6796 De Critifeux -
6797 Blues We Use -
6798 Jackleg Atlantic 5035, LP 1406
6850 Harbor Freeway Atlantic LP 1406
6851 unknown title unissued
7369 Corcovado (edited version) Atlantic 5035
* Atlantic LP 1406, SD 1406   The Jack Wilson Quartet Featuring Roy Ayers
= Discovery DS-872   Jack Wilson Quartet Featuring Roy Ayers - Corcovado
* Atlantic 5035   Jack Wilson - Jackleg / Corcovado

Jack Wilson Quartet

Jack Wilson, organ; Gene Edwards, guitar; Leroy Vinnegar, bass; Donald Dean, drums.
Los Angeles, CA, December 5, 1963
7481 Sanctification Atlantic 5041
7482 Lonely Avenue -
7483 The Night Has A Thousand Eyes unissued
7484 Yesterdays -
* Atlantic 5041   Jack Wilson - Sanctification / Lonely Avenue

Jack Wilson Trio

Jack Wilson, piano; Leroy Vinnegar, bass; Philly Joe Jones, drums.
Los Angeles, CA, May 13, 1964
7862 The Slow Side: Once Upon A Summertime Atlantic LP 1427
7863 The Slow Side: Sometime Ago -
7864 Erika unissued
7865 The Slow Side: The Good Life Atlantic LP 1427
7866 The Slow Side: The End Of A Love Affair -
7867 The Fast Side: The Scene Is Clean -
7868 The Fast Side: Glass Enclosure -
7869 The Fast Side: Good Time Joe -
7870 The Fast Side: Kinta -
* Atlantic LP 1427, SD 1427   The Two Sides Of Jack Wilson

Jack Wilson Septet

Bobby Bryant, trumpet, flugelhorn; Lou Blackburn, trombone; Buddy Collette, alto sax, flute; Harold Land, tenor sax; Jack Wilson, piano; Leroy Vinnegar, bass; Philly Joe Jones, drums.
"Lindy Opera House", Los Angeles, CA, August 9, 1964
8122 Yours Is My Heart Alone Atlantic unissued

Jack Wilson Orchestra

Emmett Berry, Melvin Moore, Charlie Patterson, trumpet; Bobby Bryant, trumpet, flugelhorn; Lou Blackburn, Donald Cook, John Ewing, Pete Myers, trombone; Buddy Collette, alto sax, flute; Jay Migliori, alto, soprano sax; Harold Land, tenor sax; Curtis Amy, tenor, soprano sax; Jack Nimitz, baritone sax, clarinet; Roy Ayers, vibes; Jack Wilson, piano; Al McKibbon, bass; Philly Joe Jones, drums.
8123 The Good Life Atlantic unissued
8125 The Fourth Dance -

Jack Wilson Quintet

Curtis Amy, tenor, soprano sax; Roy Ayers, vibes; Jack Wilson, piano; Al McKibbon, bass; Philly Joe Jones, drums.
8124 Woody'n You Atlantic unissued

Jack Wilson Quartet

Roy Ayers, vibes; Jack Wilson, piano; Al McKibbon, bass; Philly Joe Jones, drums.
8126 Medley: Young And Foolish / Goodbye Atlantic unissued
8127 Oleo -
8128 Out Of Sight -
8129 Most Soulful Man -
8130 Walkin' -
8131 Tenderly -
8132 Jackleg -
8133 Medley: Too Late Now / CFD -
8134 Flame On The Desert -
8135 Nirvana -
8136 Harbor Freeway -

Jack Wilson Jazz Organs Quintet

Genghis Kyle, Jack Wilson, organ; John Gray, guitar; Leroy Vinnegar, bass; Philly Joe Jones, drums.
Los Angeles, CA, September 4, 1964
8156 Blue 'N' Boogie Vault LP-108
8157 Spontaneous Blues Atlantic unissued
8158 Street Scene Vault LP-108
8159 Juicy Atlantic unissued
Henry Cain, Jack Wilson, organ; Gene Edwards, guitar; Leroy Vinnegar, bass; Donald Bailey, drums.

8160 My Favorite Things Vault LP-108
8298 One Mint Julep -
8299 For Carl -
8300 Lonely Avenue -
8301 Cain's Abel -
* Vault LP-108   Jack Wilson - The Jazz Organs

Jack Wilson With Antonio Carlos Jobim

Roy Ayers, vibes; Jack Wilson, piano; Sebastiao Neto, bass; Chico Batera, drums, percussion; with special guest artist: Antonio Carlos Jobim as "Tony Brazil", guitar.
Los Angeles, CA, July 30, 1965
9183 Blue Satin Vault LP-9001
9184 Days Of Wine And Roses -
9185 Sally's Tomato -
9186 Softly -
9187 Lujon -
9188 Mr. Lucky -
9189 Breakfast At Tiffany's -
9190 Dear Heart -
9191 Night Flower -
* Vault LP-9001, SLP-9001, LP-1001   Jack Wilson - Plays Brazilian Mancini

The Jack Wilson Quartet Featuring Roy Ayers

Roy Ayers, vibes; Jack Wilson, piano; Monk Montgomery, bass; Varney Barlow as Varner Barlow, drums.
Los Angeles, CA, 1965-1966?
  Ramblin' Vault LP-9002
  Stolen Moments -
  Kilo -
  Impressions -
  The Sandpiper, Pt. 1 -
  The Sandpiper, Pt. 2 -
  The Sandpiper, Pt. 3 -
  Pensativa -
* Vault LP-9002, SLP-9002   The Jack Wilson Quartet Featuring Roy Ayers - Ramblin'

1966 (age 30)

Jack Wilson Quartet

Roy Ayers, vibes; Jack Wilson, piano; Ray Brown, bass; Varney Barlow, drums; Jack Tracy, producer.
Annex Studios, Los Angeles, CA, August 9, 1966
(tk.3) Serenata Blue Note BLP 4251
(tk.4) One And Four (aka Mr. Day) Blue Note CDP 7243 8 52436 2 2
(tk.8) C.F.D. Blue Note BLP 4251
* Blue Note BLP 4251, BST 84251, CDP 7243 8 52436 2 2   Jack Wilson - Something Personal

Jack Wilson Quartet

same personnel.
Annex Studios, Los Angeles, CA, afternoon, August 10, 1966
(tk.3) Harbor Freeway 5 P.M. Blue Note BLP 4251
- Shosh -
* Blue Note BLP 4251, BST 84251, CDP 7243 8 52436 2 2   Jack Wilson - Something Personal

Jack Wilson Quintet

Roy Ayers, vibes; Jack Wilson, piano; Ray Brown, cello; Charles Williams Jr., bass; Varney Barlow, drums; Jack Tracy, producer.
Annex Studios, Los Angeles, CA, night, August 10, 1966
(tk.11) The Sphinx Blue Note BLP 4251
(tk.4) Most Unsoulful Woman -

Jack Wilson Sextet

Lee Morgan, trumpet #1-5; Garnett Brown, trombone #1-5; Jackie McLean, alto sax #1-5; Jack Wilson, piano; Bob Cranshaw, bass; Billy Higgins, drums.
Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, September 22, 1967
1. 1951 tk.4 Frank's Tune Blue Note BST 84270
2. 1952 tk.11 Easterly Winds -
3. 1953 tk.16 Nirvanna -
4. 1954 tk.17 On Children -
5. 1955 tk.20 Do It -
6. 1956 tk.23 A Time For Love -
* Blue Note BST 84270, 7243 4 73161 2 8   Jack Wilson - Easterly Winds

Jack Wilson Quintet With 12 Piece Strings

Stan Levey, vibes, shakers; Jack Wilson, piano; John Gray, guitar; Ray Brown, bass; Varney Barlow, drums; + 7 violins, 2 violas, 3 celli, Billy Byers, arranger, conductor.
Liberty Studios, Hollywood, CA, September 28, 1968
5537 (tk.3/5) Imagine Blue Note BST 84328
5539 (tk.5) Changing With The Times -
5544 (tk.6) Se Todos Fossem Iguais A Voce -
* Blue Note BST 84328   Jack Wilson - Song For My Daughter

Jack Wilson Quintet With 12 Piece Strings

Victor Feldman, vibes, timpani; Jack Wilson, piano; Howard Roberts, guitar; Andy Simpkins, bass; Jimmie Smith, drums; + 8 violins, 2 violas, 2 celli, Billy Byers, arranger, conductor.
Liberty Studios, Hollywood, CA, December 16, 1968
5543 (tk.8) Eighty-One Blue Note BST 84328
5538 (tk.7) Herman's Helmet -
5540 (tk.8) Night Creature -

Jack Wilson and others

Jack Wilson, piano; and others.
Liberty Studios, Hollywood, CA, April 21, 1969
tk.1 Sunny Blue Note unissued

Jack Wilson Quintet

Tommy Vig, vibraharp; Jack Wilson, piano; Howard Roberts, guitar; Ray Brown, bass; Donald Bailey, drums.
Liberty Studios, Hollywood, CA, April 23, 1969
  Scarborough Fair / Canticle rejected
5546 tk.6 Soft Summer Rain Blue Note BST 84328

Jack Wilson Trio

Jack Wilson, piano; Ike Isaacs, bass; Donald Bailey, drums.
Liberty Studios, Hollywood, CA, June 19, 1969
5541 (tk.6) Scarborough Fair / Canticle Blue Note BST 84328
(tk.2) Soulin' unissued
(tk.1) Soft Summer Rain rejected

Jack Wilson Solo/Trio plus Strings Overdubs

Jack Wilson, piano; + overdubs: Israel Baker, Betty Marks, violin; Myer Bellow, Dave Burk, viola; Jesse Ehrlich, Kurt Reher, cello; Billy Byers, arranger, conductor.
Liberty Studios, Hollywood, CA, June 21, 1969;
overdubbed at Liberty Studios, Hollywood, CA, June 26, 1969
5542 (tk.5) Song For My Daughter Blue Note BST 84328
Jack Wilson, piano; Ike Isaacs, bass; Donald Bailey, drums; + overdubs: Israel Baker, Betty Marks, violin; Myer Bellow, Dave Burk, viola; Jesse Ehrlich, Kurt Reher, cello; Billy Byers, arranger, conductor.

(tk.1) Street Scene unissued
5545 (tk.5) Stormy Blue Note BST 84328
(tk.2) Non Sectarian Blues (Presbyterian Blues) unissued

Jack Wilson Trio

Jack Wilson, piano, electric piano; Ike Isaacs, bass, electric bass; Donald Bailey, drums.
"Memory Lane", Los Angeles, CA, 1st set, July 8, 1970
  Tears Inside Blue Note rejected
  Equinox / One And Four -
  Street Scene -
  Night Mist -
  Caravan -
  Soilin' -

Jack Wilson Trio

same personnel.
"Memory Lane", Los Angeles, CA, 2nd set, July 8, 1970
  Ahmad's Blues / New Rhumba Blue Note rejected
  Something / After Supper -
  Ada -
  Little Sunflower / Soilin' -

Jack Wilson Trio

same personnel.
"Memory Lane", Los Angeles, CA, 3rd set, July 8, 1970
  Ramblin' Blue Note rejected
  Squeeze Me -
  Wave -
  I Hear A Rhapsody / Soilin' -

Jack Wilson Trio

same personnel.
"Memory Lane", Los Angeles, CA, 1st set, July 9, 1970
  Little Sunflower Blue Note rejected
  Ramblin' -
  Night Mist -
  Ada -
  Soilin' -

Jack Wilson Trio

same personnel.
"Memory Lane", Los Angeles, CA, 2nd set, July 9, 1970
  Ahmad's Blues Blue Note rejected
  If It's The Last Thing I Do -
  Blues / Whine / Soilin' -

Jack Wilson Trio

same personnel.
"Memory Lane", Los Angeles, CA, 3rd set, July 9, 1970
  Untitled Blue Note rejected
  Street Scene -
  Medley -
  Soilin' -

1977 (age 41)

Jack Wilson Trio/Quartet

Jack Wilson, Mason & Hamlin grand piano, Fender Rhodes electric piano; Allen Jackson, bass; Clarence Johnston, drums; Joe Clayton, percussion.
Sage & Sand Recording Studio, Hollywood, CA, August 15 & 16, 1977
  Autumn Sunset Discovery DS-777, DSCD-941
  Kunta Kinte -
  Waltz For Ahmad -
  Dos Intrepatatos -
  Baby Blue -
  Tears Inside -
  Invitation -
  Our Waltz -
* Discovery DS-777   Jack Wilson - Innovations
* Discovery DSCD-941   Jack Wilson Trio - Autumn Sunset

Jack Wilson Trio

Jack Wilson, Mason & Hamlin grand piano, Fender Rhodes electric piano; Allen Jackson, bass; Clarence Johnston, drums.
Discovery Studios, Los Angeles, CA, March 15, 1979
  He That Murmureth Discovery DS-805, DSCD-941
  Spaced Discovery DS-805
  Gemstones -
  J.P. Blues -
  Where Is Love -
  Artist's Spoken Autograph -
* Discovery DS-805   Jack Wilson - Margo's Theme

Jack Wilson Solo/Trio

Jack Wilson, Mason & Hamlin grand piano.
Discovery Studios, Los Angeles, CA, March 29, 1979
  Thinking Of You Discovery DS-805, DSCD-941
  Body And Soul -
Jack Wilson, Mason & Hamlin grand piano, Fender Rhodes electric piano; John Heard, bass; Joey Baron, drums.

Margo's Theme -
  Artist's Spoken Autograph Discovery DS-805
* Discovery DS-805   Jack Wilson - Margo's Theme

1993 (age 57)

Jack Wilson Trio

Jack Wilson, piano; Leon Maleson, bass; Jimmy Cobb, drums; with James Chirillo, guitar.
NYC, June 4, 1993
  The Heart Of Mine DIW (J) DIW-615
  That Sunday That Summer -
  Moon Mist -
  The Second Time Around -
  Sandie, My Love -
  How Soon -
  Long Ago And Far Away -
  If She Walked Into My Life -
* DIW (J) DIW-615   Jack Wilson - In New York

These data all are from the Atlantic and Blue Note label discograpies and/or the Tom Lord Discography, so basically they are not news. I will get me the label discos from a local library later this week. If Cuscuna marked the unissued Blue Note material as rejected, it is unlikely the tapes still exist. 

I had posted the Atlantic sessions in an earlier post - unless Wilson took tape copies home, the tapes with unissued material probably were destroyed by the fire in Atlantic's tape vaults. I'd say, don't hold your breath.

Edited by mikeweil

On 19.1.2019 at 1:20 PM, Dan Gould said:

Hell yeah with Curtis Amy ... too bad if it still exists it will probably never see the light of day.

I had to correct my post above - I took the info fom the Lord Disco, but whoever copied the data from Michel Ruppli's Atlantic Discography misread the personnel note to the Lindy Opera House sessions, printed on a later page - Amy plays only on one track with the Wilson quartet with Ayers, 8124 Woody 'n' You. I got the Atlantic Disco from the library today to cross-check. Never trust Lord or discogs or anybody on the web without consulting the original sources!