monkboughtlunch

(RIP) Is Jack Wilson (Atlantic & Blue Note 60s pianist) dead?

132 posts in this topic

Any idea if the live 1970 Blue Note Memory Lane Los Angeles recordings survive in the EMI archives? Has MICHAEL CUSCUNA ever commented on these unreleased Wilson Blue Note live recordings?

They are listed as unissued in the official Blue Note discography, not as rejected. 

Is there a way to determine if Blue Note live tapes still exist? Anyone here know Cuscuna?

It's Don Was now.

Was Now Was

On 2/8/2019 at 1:04 PM, mjzee said:

It's Don Was now.

Check this out!  Looks like Zev Feldman (of Resonance Records) is joining Blue Note.  Maybe he can investigate the 1970 Jack Wilson Blue Note live recordings at Memory Lane?

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/zev-feldman-blue-note-jazz-don-was-1203101919/

Excerpt below from January 2019 Variety article:

Archival Music Producer Zev Feldman, the ‘Jazz Detective,’ Takes on New Blue Note Role (EXCLUSIVE)

"The archival record producer who’s picked up the nickname “the Jazz Detective” is going to be putting his gumshoe skills to work for the genre’s most storied label. Zev Feldman, possibly the most widely admired archival producer working in the jazz field today, has a new gig at Blue Note Records, where he’ll work closely with label president Don WasVariety can exclusively reveal.

While the Blue Note vaults have been mined extensively over the last 30 years — with efforts largely directed by Michael Cuscuna, who similarly operated his own catalog label Mosaic Records while serving as a consultant — Feldman will focus on excavating hitherto unreleased music by Blue Note artists.

The first fruits of Feldman’s detective work for Blue Note have yet to be announced, but they’ll dovetail neatly with an extensive 80th anniversary catalog campaign for the label, which kicks off in February with high-end audiophile reissues of titles by Wayne Shorter and Chick Corea, overseen by producer Joe “Tone Poet” Harley.

“I have a whole list of projects I’m preparing for them right now,” Feldman says. “We’re just getting started here. I met with Don and Justin just before the break, and I had a list of 21 or 22 different projects. … I wanted to land on my feet running."

Edited by monkboughtlunch

This was discussed over a month ago.