Mulligan, Patton, Chambers

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to chime in on this issue of marketing ploys/"getting" people to rebuy things...it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned, for these reasons:

1. Not everyone wants the whole enchilada. Some people will be more than happy with the single disc of the Mulligan material issued by Verve. Others will want the box. A few of us fanatics bought the single disc and will trade it in for the box. So yeah, I bought the single Mulligan CD a while ago and now the Mosaic has been announced. Where's the harm? I've been enjoying the single disc for well over a year, listening on multiple occasionas. That's easily worth the 15 or so bucks I spent on it (you spend twice that much going to see a live performance that's over in 2 hours and never think twice about it!). Not to mention that I'll trade it in at a used place and get some of my money back.

2. Some people prefer original LP art and format to boxes. I've never really understood that, except in a very few cases of albums that are nigh on perfect, but go figure - everyone is different. So again, where's the harm in having some material available in both formats?

3. I don't know that we can assume any reissue program is cynically designed, I think as others point out above there is probably a lot of developments after reissues hit the market that dictate some of the "duplications." For example, Mosaic finally getting a licensing deal for the Mulligan material when they likely did not have it back when the single CD was issued. And again, even if they DID have the license back then, see numbers 1, 2, and 4.

4. If you don't want to rebuy material, well, don't rebuy the material. If you're up for it, then go for it. It's that simple. As far as I know, Universal et al have not begun holding hand guns to people's heads requiring they buy their umpteenth copy of LOVE SUPREME or any other title. The complaints about redundant reissues really reflect the obsessive collector inside, I am afraid. If you chafe at the idea of rebuys, well, then just say no!

Many of us would prefer to have multiple chances and formats to choose from, an embarrassment of reissue riches so to speak, than to have various outfits acting in perfect lockstep with their reissue programs.

Edited by DrJ

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I'm more than happy with the Mosaic Select stuff. Seems like some wonderful things coming down the pike that maybe wouldn't have made it anytime soon.

Matter of fact, I pre-ordered the Patton Select and they sent me a Bennie Green by mistake. I kept it. What the hey, it's a great set that I had been on the fence about anyway. Sure, I've got "Soul Stirrin'" but the rest is well worth the 40 bucks. :tup:D

I do hope the Addey remastering of the Mulligan improves the lousy LPR of the Vanguard material

I didn't like the sound on this either. Also, and this has nothing to do with the remastering, I really miss hearing the piano. Seems like there's a big hole in the ensemble. I'm happy for those who have been waiting for this set for a long time, but for myself, I'll probably pass.

I'm of two minds about the Mulligan Concert Jazz Band -- liking it to some extent but feeling that the time feel (overall as well as that of the rhythm section) was a little too buckety-buckety, and that too much of the writing had tense, pinched-shoe tightness to it. But for those who really like the MCJB, there are two topnotch concert recordings from their 1960 European tour that are a good bit more intense than anything that I know of that will be on the Mosaic set -- a 2-CD set on RTE (which used to, and may still, be available at Berkshire Record Outlet for a song) and a single CD on TCB. Much material crops up on both discs, but Zoot is in uncommonly serious form (for that time, IMO) on the TCB on "Apple Core" (the notes refer to him "going positively berserk," which is not far from the truth), and the band as a whole sounds excellent on both the Paris (RTE) and Zurich (TCB) concerts. The RTE, if I recall, is especially well-recorded, particularly the rhythm section, which helps a lot.

I'm of two minds about the Mulligan Concert Jazz Band -- liking it to some extent but feeling that the time feel (overall as well as that of the rhythm section) was a little too buckety-buckety, and that too much of the writing had tense, pinched-shoe tightness to it. But for those who really like the MCJB, there are two topnotch concert recordings from their 1960 European tour that are a good bit more intense than anything that I know of that will be on the Mosaic set -- a 2-CD set on RTE (which used to, and may still, be available at Berkshire Record Outlet for a song) and a single CD on TCB. Much material crops up on both discs, but Zoot is in uncommonly serious form (for that time, IMO) on the TCB on "Apple Core" (the notes refer to him "going positively berserk," which is not far from the truth), and the band as a whole sounds excellent on both the Paris (RTE) and Zurich (TCB) concerts. The RTE, if I recall, is especially well-recorded, particularly the rhythm section, which helps a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

i MUST pre-order the patton set.

maybe if nobody buys the select set, they'll get the picture and release a full patton set!

between the running low mosaic stuff and the upcoming conns, my credit card will take a beating.

ss1