Books that you WISHED existed, that you'd actually buy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another I would love is 'The Edited and Abridged BNBB and Organissimo Writings of Jim Sangrey." (i know im not alone on this one.)

Would you settle for a collection of jazz 45s instead?

If they come with a supply of these:

45rpm_ri30-ye.jpg

Can't help you there, although I can do a His

blue%20spindle.jpg

and Hers

Rca02.GIF

Family Pak.

Edited by JSngry

blue%20spindle.jpg

and Hers

Rca02.GIF

Family Pak.

My parents had one of those RCA changers. It plugged into the back of our first tv. It came with a supply of RCA 45s by the Sousa Band, Glenn Miller and Eddy Arnold. Played plenty of Little Richard, Fats Domino, Elvis and Jerry Lee on that sucker.

A completed version of Dashiell Hammett's aborted first draft of THE THIN MAN--written by Hammett himself, that is. (I wager Medjuck would be with me on this one.)

And in my doddering years (or sooner--or how soon are they? :ph34r: ), PEACE BROKE OUT: AN ACCOUNT OF HOW HUMANITY CAME TO ITS SENSES AND ABOLISHED WAR, POVERTY, AND RACIAL & RELIGIOUS HATRED IN THE EARLY YEARS OF THE 21ST CENTURY.

blue%20spindle.jpg

and Hers

Rca02.GIF

Family Pak.

My parents had one of those RCA changers. It plugged into the back of our first tv. It came with a supply of RCA 45s by the Sousa Band, Glenn Miller and Eddy Arnold. Played plenty of Little Richard, Fats Domino, Elvis and Jerry Lee on that sucker.

My folks had one of those type spindle adapters on their Silvertone "record player", a fold-top job with a really good AM receiver and a warm-tube smell inside it that never went away. Still had that smell when my mom got rid of it in 200?.

It also had demand of a stylus that flipped over to play 78s and flipped back again for other speeds. One-stop playback, and the fact that the tracking force was probably 29.75 lbs. didn't deter it from serving long and well.

Edited by JSngry

That RCA unit was for 45s only.

Oh, so that was the spindle then? Wow, never saw that before...

Was RCA really that gung-ho about the Speed War that they thought that people would want 45s for everything? God, that's just so...recordindustrial!

Ok, there's a book I'd like to read - the history of the Speed War.

I would like a catalog of all known Klimpt paintings and a listing of diminsions and "survivors".

This does exist, but it is rare and quite expensive. Gustav Klimt: With a Catalogue Raisonne of His Paintings by Fritz Novotny and Johannes Dobai.

Powells seems to be cheapest, starting at $600.

I'm actually about 75% going to get the upcoming Catalogue Raisonne of Stuart Davis' work. If you pre-order through Amazon they knock over $100 off the price ($300). I think I would look at it enough to justify the purchase. But I could never tell my wife how much I paid...

Shit, I don't know where that "p" came from. :mellow:

I was going to say perhaps you were so verklimpt at the thought of such a tomb, you couldn't see the keys, but I thought better of it...

I'd like to see a collection of Jonathan Williams' slides of the gravestones/monuments of the famous and less famous. If you read his essay "Paying Respects" in his collection, Blackbird Dust (or read it, as I did, when it appeared in The New York Times in 1976), you too may want to see it.

A new book by Andrew Sarris

A complete collection of Guy Davenport's criticism

A followup to Jean Jacques Sempe's The Musicians - Perhaps he has done another book of drawings of musicians. If so, I haven't seen it.

A followup to Jean Jacques Sempe's The Musicians - Perhaps he has done another book of drawings of musicians. If so, I haven't seen it.

No followup yet to Sempé's 'Les Musiciens'. Would love to see that too.

I see Sempé from time to time when he cycles around my neighborhood. I may try to stop him next time I see him and ask ;)

I see Sempé from time to time when he cycles around my neighborhood. I may try to stop him next time I see him and ask ;)

If you do speak to him, please give him my thanks for his drawings. He's a wonderful, masterful artist.

If you do speak to him, please give him my thanks for his drawings. He's a wonderful, masterful artist.

It would be my pleasure!