What is your favourite Mosaic for listening pleasure

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 12 years later...

Changes over time, but these days it's probably the Lester Young 1936-47 set.  Even though it's music with which I'm quite familiar at this point, it's such an amazing collection of recordings all in one place, and there always seem to be new nuances to enjoy in Prez's playing that I haven't noticed before.  (And Loren Schoenberg's notes bring out plenty of detail in both Prez and the other musicians' performances as well.)

Edited by ghost of miles

My all time favorites are the boxes dedicated to a record label, and I particularly like the Capitol, Beehive, and Strata East sets.  But the one that gets the most play is the H.R.S. set- The Bechet Spanier session is in my all time favorite list;there is some amazing Pee Wee Russell, and the Jack Teagarden/Ellingtonian session is one of all time favorites by him.  Other than that it hipped me to the great trumpeter Joe Thomas.

Hard to pick out favourites but the following still get very regular airplay:

Complete Solid State Thad Jones/Mel Lewis

Complete Blue Note Elvin Jones

Complete Blue Note Larry Young

Mosaic Select Big John Patton

Mosaic Select Grachan Moncur III

Complete Columbia Miles/Gil LP set

Complete Pacific Jazz Jazz Crusaders

This is all likely to change as a result of CV listening opportunities. 

On 06/08/2007 at 4:31 PM, Unk said:

I wouldn't have predicted it, but...Django.

A real sleeper of a set !

Probably Roy Eldrige.

Edit: I guess I didn't get the question of the thread correctly, I play all records for pleasure only, I consider myself a "dionysiac" record collector. I would rename the volume knob "intensity of pleasure".

Edited by porcy62

27 minutes ago, bresna said:

I do enjoy quite a few of my Mosaics but the one that has been hitting the player most often is the Buck Clayton Jam Sessions. Such great music and it swings like hell. Always brings a smile to my face.

That is a really good set. Got my CD copy from Michael Cuscuna, when he was doing that ‘clearout’ of spare copies.