What is your favourite Mosaic for listening pleasure

I'm not talking about how rare these tracks can be, or whether the set was way cheaper than to reassemble the original recordings or the story about how you ended up having a particular set or any wet dreams this gave you by giving you the whole span of recordings for such musician.

Just about the pure pleasure of chilling out and listening to the tracks and say wow that's great stuff and have a wide grin on your face, so what's your favourite ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mosaic boxes get played pretty often but the one that keeps showing up is the Herbie Nichols set. One that I have loved since day one!

I hear that!

But lately, for me it's probably the Morgan/Shorter Vee-Jay box. I've been listening the hell out of that one for years.

I have to list about as much as I can carry fast, because my "favorite" has shifted so much; these are ones that have brought me some deep and intense listening joy for long stretches of time:

Charlie Parker

Mingus

Teagarden Roulette

Classic Capitol

Armstrong

Good idea, Dan. This also reminds me of how my Mosaics tend to gather dust after the initial purchase.

I have nine of the "big" sets, and the one I return to most often is the Andrew Hill. The Tristano/Konitz/Marsh comes in a close second. Byrd/Adams also gets occasional play.

Call me a heretic, but I'm still not overly enthused about both the Anita O'Day and J.J. Johnson sets. I'm starting to believe that both sets, although "complete", suffer under their own weight. Between the two sets, that's 16 CDs.

I find it impossible to choose one and looking over my shelf of Mosaic boxes only reminds me that it has been far too long since I've cracked open a Mosaic. :(

I think I've just reordered my listening plans.

Did you ever finish your A-Z thing?

Nope. :beee:

I find it impossible to choose one and looking over my shelf of Mosaic boxes only reminds me that it has been far too long since I've cracked open a Mosaic. :(

I think I've just reordered my listening plans.

Did you ever finish your A-Z thing?

Nope. :beee:

I, for one, really enjoyed that Dan, but I can understand why you stopped.

For listening pleasure, what makes me happy? It is difficult to choose one, so here are my top 3:

The Ike Quebec Blue Note 45 recordings, which I bought from Mosaic in 1992, but are now available everywhere from Blue Note.

Also, The 1960's Jazz Messengers...great stuff, and finally, the Turrentine set.