Keith Jarrett on a Rant

John Tapscott

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate people who take pictures at concerts. It's extremely distracting to other people in the audience, and extremely selfish. I personally would not be bothered if we passed a law saying that such people would be immediately removed from the concert and beaten with whips out in the street. I would support the establishment of a totalitarian state just to get assholes with cameras in their phones to put them away, and just once in their lives, try enjoying something in the moment instead of being obsessed with recording it for posterity. Seriously, live in the moment for once.

If we can't publicly beat such people, at the very least we should destroy their cell phones on the spot.

Gee, you're even grumpier than me! :)

Last month I was at an Enrico Rava concert and during the entire performance the asshole next to me kept holding up his cell phone right in front of my face in order to take meaningless pictures that nobody in the history of the world would ever care to see. If somebody had put a bullet in his head right then with a silencer I would have felt only a little bit bad but mostly would have felt that it was necessary for the good of society.

You must be really pleasant to sit next to.

Actually I am. I don't say a word at the time, I just come on internet forums months later and share my violent fantasies. That seems pretty pleasant, if you ask me.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/96482-keith-jarrett-s-dark-night-in-perugia

"A note from photographer Tim Dickeson: “The accompanying photo of the Keith Jarrett Trio was taken (without flash) from the top of the hill that overlooks Arena Santa Giuliana, which I would estimate to be one-quarter mile from the stage. The hill was packed with people standing and sitting, watching the show. As it got progressively darker the absurdity of watching virtually nothing but the light from Gary Peacock’s music stand prompted me to take the picture. At this point it was getting difficult to see the people 20 feet in front of me, so I guessed the chances of a performer being disturbed by my one photo was nil. I waited for the applause between numbers and took the picture. The noise from the people around me tripping over each other was far louder than the sound of my camera’s near-silent shutter.” "

Jarrett_Umbria_span9.jpg?1373646266

I hate people who take pictures at concerts. It's extremely distracting to other people in the audience, and extremely selfish. I personally would not be bothered if we passed a law saying that such people would be immediately removed from the concert and beaten with whips out in the street. I would support the establishment of a totalitarian state just to get assholes with cameras in their phones to put them away, and just once in their lives, try enjoying something in the moment instead of being obsessed with recording it for posterity. Seriously, live in the moment for once.

If we can't publicly beat such people, at the very least we should destroy their cell phones on the spot.

Last month I was at an Enrico Rava concert and during the entire performance the asshole next to me kept holding up his cell phone right in front of my face in order to take meaningless pictures that nobody in the history of the world would ever care to see. If somebody had put a bullet in his head right then with a silencer I would have felt only a little bit bad but mostly would have felt that it was necessary for the good of society.

Actually I am. I don't say a word at the time, I just come on internet forums months later and share my violent fantasies. That seems pretty pleasant, if you ask me.

I must confess to having flayed, drawn and quartered many tables of non-attentive loud talkers over the years, but it was only in my mind (I think).

I must confess to having flayed, drawn and quartered many tables of non-attentive loud talkers over the years, but it was only in my mind (I think).

The screams would be too loud. That's why you've got to take them out with a silencer. Quick shot to the head, and then a waiter can come along and quietly clean up and also maybe refill your drink at the same time.

The screams would be too loud. That's why you've got to take them out with a silencer. Quick shot to the head, and then a waiter can come along and quietly clean up and also maybe refill your drink at the same time.

True, while the punishment may not quite fit the crime, it's an acceptable compromise.

Jarrett hasn't been relevant for most of my life. It's all about the Benjamins for him

When you get down to it....it's a covers band that has been mailing it in for half of my life. I get DeJohnette's FB posts. He makes more money in Jarretts's covers band.

P.S. Buy "Sleeper" and get back to me about the covers band.

The trio is still darn great to me.

something isn't adding up. after some research, realize i've seen the trio no fewer than six times and not one time has keith even so much as approached at attitude. in fact, as i mentioned in the thread about 'somewhere', at the most recent performance last fall, a cell phone rang and a baby cried (causing me, for one, to brace for impact) and a non-plussed keith even made a slight (non-condescending) riff about it. as someone else said, his mood may be directly related to his new relationship...

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6jYV49HAiCg

If I was spoken to in that language by an artist I'd paid to see then I would leave immediately and demand my money back...absolutely disgraceful.

... and I'm someone who, over many years, has bought a great deal of his music and generally like what he does.

• 2 years later...