Keith Jarrett on a Rant

John Tapscott

A friend of mine said Keith did the same thing at the Montreal Jazz Festival this year - twice apparently - before and after the show.

Flash photos - all I can say is - big friggin' deal! Keith really thinks he somebody, doesn't he? Pompous, arrogant, no class - you name it. No audience should be treated like this. But I guess when your trio gets $80,000 a concert, you figure you can say anything you want.

Edited by John Tapscott

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can certainly understand how flashes can be annoying when one's on stage and why cameras might be banned at indoor clubs or concert halls (seriously, most halls don't allow them), but for an outside gig like that it's really hard to prohibit cameras and people taking pictures. But what makes Keith's rant so terrible is the really insulting way he goes about it. I'm a big fan, but he sounds so full of himself here I want to slap him with a fish.

Keith Jarrett is an ass. He plays a motherf***er of a piano, and I'll always be a fan of his, but he's an ass. Especially that line about the privilege being the audience's.....fuck that. Artists of his stature owe everything to their fans/audiences. What would happen if we just decided to stop buying his CDs or attending his shows? He'd be playing his piano in a homeless shelter. These stars owe their fans everything. What a dick.

If you showed up hoping for a hissy fit, you definitely got your money’s worth that night.

A high-strung guy, for sure, and I can see how distractions would piss him off, but he went way too far there. It’s weird seeing the leader of a standards piano trio acting like John Lydon (aka Rotten).

If I were in the audience, I would have started yelling requests for “Free Bird.”

Jarrett is a whiny little bastard...it's my "privilege" to not buy any of his albums, pay for any of his concert tickets, give him any decent word of mouth or support him in any imaginable way. I'll reserve that right for people that deserve it.

what is this, the third thread on this same topic? Ok already, he doesn't like flashes and he expresses it in a not-so-subtle way. Got it. Oh yeah, he moans a lot when playing the piano and that really bothers people. So what?

Old news.

I was going to say the same thing maybe we should have a section called Jarrett is evil. The guy is an asshole, can we move on .

Guest donald petersen

though to me it seems like he isn't insulting the city per se. i mean he is but i think he says "goddamned" city, not "goddamned city" or whatever it was he said again.

people should chill.

Guest donald petersen

i was at the yankees game the other night and arod was going for 500 and every at bat a whole junket of flash bulbs went off as he swung, trying to capture the moment. i am sure that was annoying!