Keith Jarrett on a Rant

John Tapscott

There's a review of Jarrett's recent solo concert in Frankfurt on the german Spiegel website

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/0,1518,512796,00.html

It's very positive as far as the artistic side is concerned, but also mentions that Jarrett interupted his performance three times, not because of flash photographers but because of coughing in the audience.

The first time he lectured the public not to make any noise, then two times he briefly left the stage to "punish" it. He also stated that he's been doing these lectures for the past 35 years and expects some learning effect, and played a short "bar piano" parody to show what he thought of the situation.

Edited by Claude

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a review of Jarrett's recent solo concert in Frankfurt on the german Spiegel website

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/0,1518,512796,00.html

It's very positive as far as the artistic side is concerned, but also mentions that Jarrett interupted his performance three times, not because of flash photographers but because of coughing in the audience.

The first time he lectured the public not to make any noise, then two times he briefly left the stage to "punish" it. He also stated that he's been doing these lectures for the past 35 years and expects some learning effect, and played a short "bar piano" parody to show what he thought of the situation.

Yeah, in Burton Greene's autobiography, he mentions being at a Jarrett gig in Spain in the '80s where he pulled the EXACT same shit. Fuck that guy.

I can't speak w/r/t De Johnette, who seems like a nice guy, but everything I've heard about Peacock is that he's an asshole too, and not in dissimilar fashion.

Jarrett is becoming so known for this now that I think I'd be disappointed if I went to one of his gigs and he didn't pull a hissy fit.

The only way I'd go to one is with the intention to piss him off so much he would storm off in a huff and refuse to return. It would be the best I'd ever heard from him.

Jarrett is becoming so known for this now that I think I'd be disappointed if I went to one of his gigs and he didn't pull a hissy fit.

The only way I'd go to one is with the intention to piss him off so much he would storm off in a huff and refuse to return. It would be the best I'd ever heard from him.

Wow....you don't even like Fort Yawuh?

Wow....you don't even like Fort Yawuh?

The fact that Keith Jarrett sucks only serves to make his obnoxious stage personality that much more worthy of derision.

YMMV, of course.

I recognize that clip from Spinal Tap. Isn't this right after the scene backstage where the band makes the caterer remove all the blue M&Ms? Just kidding, I know its real. A real life "Hello Cleveland" moment captured on video for all to see and hear. It's funny. It's sad. It's fame and delusion. I smell a reality TV series for Mr. Big-Time, maybe soon to be mr. lounge act. Yessss!

If being gifted with so much talent results in this type of ego and behaviour, I rather stay a less talented musician.

During my concerts with Mikail Aslan in Turkey I have seen more mobile phones flashing and filming than Jarrett will see in the remainder of his life, and to do other than ignore them would be musical suicide. I'm glad I can ignore them - of course it's a different case with solo performances, but if you are distracted that easily you should realize you're not yet really inside the music. If you are inside, you know the audience is there and feel it but don't notice any details. You gotta concentrate.

The reviewer in Der Spiegel noted that even an artist like Jarrett has his limits, artistically. He has done what he can do. I don't expect anything new from him and find he's kind of repeating himself now for many years. I have the impression that he didn't really learn the lesson from his fatigue syndrome.

That he treats his audience with so much disrespect is not acceptable! Vote with your feet!

Edited by mikeweil

I have this terrible repeating nightmare. I am in the front row of a Keith Jarrett solo concert, and about 15 minutes into the slow "spiritual hymn" core of the spontaneously improvised 40-minute "Part 1.". Suddenly, my throat feels very dry, and it starts to itch, and itch, and itch, and itch. My eyes swell, beads of sweat run down my face. AAAAAAAHHHHH!

Guest Bill Barton

In contrast, I liked pianist Michael Wolff's response when a cellphone went off right up front during his solo intro. He paused and said, "Answer that, tell them where you are, and to come down here." ^_^

That's a great line! :rofl:

In contrast, I liked pianist Michael Wolff's response when a cellphone went off right up front during his solo intro. He paused and said, "Answer that, tell them where you are, and to come down here." ^_^

That's a great line! :rofl:

He was hilarious, actually. Afterwards when we mentioned that, he said he had done standup for 7 or 8 years iirc. That guy knew how to handle a crowd.