Keith Jarrett on a Rant

John Tapscott

In contrast, I liked pianist Michael Wolff's response when a cellphone went off right up front during his solo intro. He paused and said, "Answer that, tell them where you are, and to come down here." ^_^

Humor is the only things that helps in such a situation.

But you either learn it or you don't. I gave that Spiegel review and interview to my wife to read when we talked about it and she mentioned how much she loved the Köln Concert, and I played the unedited Village Vanguard recording that resulted in the Fort Yawuh LP, and there is an annoucement by Jarrett complaining about people chuckling and talking, on disc 2, back then already! In the Village Vanguard!!! :rolleyes::wacko:

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "piano nazi" (in reference to Seinfeld's "soup nazi") is at it again.

I don't know if the article in the german Spiegel magazine is objective or if Jarrett rubbed the reviewer the wrong way, but the "review" of Jarrett's solo concert in Berlin is entirely about his erratic reactions to audience noise.

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/0,1518,654823,00.html

(Terrible) Google translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...en&ie=UTF-8

I'm doing that at the next organissimo show.
:lol: What's it worth to you to have me to rescue your ass from the nut farm?

I hear Keith's ego has been donated to Harvard Medical School. He, of course, made the call......

They are building an aircraft hangar to store it in!

And I like Keith Jarrett!

I still cannot wrap my mind around something he was quoted as saying (of course misquotes do occur): he was supposed to appear on a double bill with Thelonious Monk and protested, saying "I share the night with nobody". His misperception of his own importance in jazz history is staggering.

It's not only nice to be nice, it's smart. No one owes anyone anything. Meaning, of course, the audience in this case. But the smart artist (and this goes for anything) is well aware that people are more likely to like your music if they like you.So, humility aside, it is simple common business sense.

Jazz has suffered terrible losses in CD sales (3% of all sales) and generally is in a backwater in the States. There are myriad reasons for this, but self-important 'stars' acting like fucking 3-year-olds doesn't help too much. Way to go, genius.

Edited by fasstrack

I still cannot wrap my mind around something he was quoted as saying (of course misquotes do occur): he was supposed to appear on a double bill with Thelonious Monk and protested, saying "I share the night with nobody". His misperception of his own importance in jazz history is staggering.

What a moron! :lol:

It's not only nice to be nice, it's smart. No one owes anyone anything. Meaning, of course, the audience in this case. But the smart artist (and this goes for anything) is well aware that people are more likely to like your music if they like you.So, humility aside, it is simple common business sense.

Jazz has suffered terrible losses in CD sales (3% of all sales) and generally is in a backwater in the States. There are myriad reasons for this, but self-important 'stars' acting like fucking 3-year-olds doesn't help too much. Way to go, genius.

What a fool!

And then Kanye West grabbed the microphone and said, "Keith Jarrett? I'm sorry, but I have one of the biggest egos of all time!"

:lol:

I'm still wondering what the fuss is about Jarrett's piano playing...I got past the grunting and didn't find much there. Maybe some rainy day, I'll try again.

It wouldn't entirely surprise me if Jarrett had said something like this at some point, but surely not about Thelonious Monk. I'm not even sure if the time periods match since Jarrett only hit it big after Monk retired from touring.

The "piano nazi" (in reference to Seinfeld's "soup nazi") is at it again.

I don't know if the article in the german Spiegel magazine is objective or if Jarrett rubbed the reviewer the wrong way, but the "review" of Jarrett's solo concert in Berlin is entirely about his erratic reactions to audience noise.

http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/0,1518,654823,00.html

(Terrible) Google translation: http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...en&ie=UTF-8

two more reviews, both a bit more balanced than the first one - both explicitly mention fear in the audience (as do some more, shorter ones), the first one is a bit high-brow but very funny

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/kultur/art772,2922921

http://www.hilpoltsteiner-zeitung.de/artik...t=48&man=16

will try to translate this bit later...

"Jarrett, ein schwarzer Pädagoge und Noli-me-tangere-Prinz auf der Erbse des gerade erst begonnenen Abends, geißelt in einer seiner berüchtigten Ermahnungspredigten dafür gleich das ganze Publikum. Fürs Erste, als würden seine ungnädig-gnädigen Einlassungen sie nicht noch weiter schwinden lassen, ist seine Konzentration dahin. Jarrett, so göttlich seine Eingebungen sein mögen, unterhält auch einen Wackelkontakt zur Ewigkeit."

It wouldn't entirely surprise me if Jarrett had said something like this at some point, but surely not about Thelonious Monk. I'm not even sure if the time periods match since Jarrett only hit it big after Monk retired from touring.

I have to check the veracity of that statement. I know I read it somewhere, but we all know we can't believe everything we read----or should know. But there are all those other statements.........

Monk performed on a triple bill with Jarrett's quartet and Oregon at Philharmonic Hall in NYC in July of 1975 as part of the Newport in New York festival.
If you are Frank Kimbrough we have met. Please give my best (from Joel Fass) to Kendra Shank---a great lady and a true colleague.

And if you're not Frank----why, I oughta......... :g;)

Monk performed on a triple bill with Jarrett's quartet and Oregon at Philharmonic Hall in NYC in July of 1975 as part of the Newport in New York festival.
If you are Frank Kimbrough we have met. Please give my best (from Joel Fass) to Kendra Shank---a great lady and a true colleague.

And if you're not Frank----why, I oughta......... :g;)

No, that's Frank. He - well obviously - posts here occasionally.

Hi guys - Joel - I just wrote Kendra and gave her your message..........now back to the issues at hand......
Distasteful though it may be........

I said what I needed to. Jazz will live on despite outsize egos. (Cut to God Save the Queen.)

Hi guys - Joel - I just wrote Kendra and gave her your message..........now back to the issues at hand......
Distasteful though it may be........

I said what I needed to. Jazz will live on despite outsize egos. (Cut to God Save the Queen.)

ha, I like that line, "Wackelkontakt zur Ewigkeit" :)

(it means something like: Jarrett has a "loose connection to eternity", or "defective contact" or whatever is the most appropriate translation)

To stay on the same level of prose:

"Keith Jarrett is in (albeit intermittently defective) contact to eternity" :D :D

Yeah, I yearn for the days of sanity, when cats would piss in phone booths and stuff like that.

Seriously. I mean, imagine if Keith was strung out on heroin as well. (Although a bit of weed might just mellow him out a bit.)

I don't think that's gonna help him. Some kinda 12 program might be the only hope...maybe something like:

My Head is Really Huge and I Think Everything Revolves Around Me Anonymous.